Updating BIOS which supports next Gen CPU

Currently I have 12400F + Asus TUF B660M-PLus D4 motherboard at BIOS version 1620. The BIOS versions 2014 and above seems to support 13th gen CPUs.

Though I am not going to upgrade processor any soon, should I still update my BIOS? There is warning highlighted in the image which I do not understand.

Do they mean 12400F will have performance/bugs if I update to new BIOS?

Image_14_03-45-57-PM.png

Edited by Gamer Guy

1 minute ago, Gamer Guy said:

Though I am not going to upgrade processor any soon, should I still update my BIOS?

There are 3 reasons to do a BIOS update:

1. Major security vulnerability found in an older version that you want to mitigate (none of those affect security)
  2. Something about your current BIOS revision is broken (either a feature is missing or it has weird issues)
  3. You want to install hardware that the current version does not support (either faster RAM or newer CPUs).

If none of those fit what you're trying to do, do not update the BIOS. A BIOS update tends to cause more issues than it helps if an older one is doing the job just fine. 

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There are 3 reasons to do a BIOS update:

1. Major security vulnerability found in an older version that you want to mitigate (none of those affect security)
  2. Something about your current BIOS revision is broken (either a feature is missing or it has weird issues)
  3. You want to install hardware that the current version does not support (either faster RAM or newer CPUs).

If none of those fit what you're trying to do, do not update the BIOS. A BIOS update tends to cause more issues than it helps if an older one is doing the job just fine. 

Thanks, I am trying to overclock RAM a bit and most of the guides show make sure you are on latest stable BIOS. 

3 hours ago, Gamer Guy said:

Thanks, I am trying to overclock RAM a bit and most of the guides show make sure you are on latest stable BIOS. 

It's a bit more complicated than that for RAM overclocking. A lot of the time, yes, the latest stable BIOS is the best one for RAM overclocking, though it's not always the case, and with a DDR4 board especially the BIOSes are already setup pretty well, so the difference between the latest and the one you're currently on is maybe 1 tick on CAS latency and that's it, basically nothing. 

Its also worth mentioning that the 12400F has a very weak memory controller, so even if you were gonna do memory overclocking in it you're not gonna get very far.