Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2023 - S23 lineup unveiled - (and nobody cares? )

HenrySalayne
3 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Second generation, the first was 1.5 GBit/s

You are right, what I always thought of as 2nd generation SATA (6 Gbit/s) is actually the third gen.

4 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

You were asking for the first time, lacking any context and making no sense.

Here was the first time, although the lack of a question mark and non-explicit formulation of why faster storage is needed makes it hard to spot for some, I have to admit.

2 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Cool! So let me rip out my NVMe SSD out of my PC and boot and play from an SD card.

Obviously there is no noticeable difference in speed and performance.

But A for effort, made me chuckle quite a bit 馃檪

17 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Again, if this is all you need, why even bother with faster internal storage at all?

Because that's not how storage/OS works, even when talking about tiered storage, it still have inner layers on it.

For example let's take tier 3 which is what people usually put's SSD/HDD on it. The OS put's a lot of more IOPS on the primary installation drive(C: for example) than on the secondary(D: for example) because it has internal database(files, search indexing), thumbnails, tiered caching like paging, swap, file informations and more.

That's why the OS SSD uses a few dozens of TB a year, when you only have installed a 512GB that you don't anything on it. The main tier 3 storage(where the OS is installed) must be on a fast storage medium, a secondary tier 3 storage where your games, photos, videos and more is saved and the OS don't use it for optimizations don't have to be fast as you don't use as hard as the main storage.