Bad timing to buy 8TB SSD?

MightyUnit
3 minutes ago, MightyUnit said:

I would prefer an NVMe version but their cost per TB sucks compared to this.

Yeah. As far as I know (not so far) there is not going to be a nvme for the same price as this for a good while

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

What will it be used for?

The qvo have BAD writing performance slower than a hdd after about 1-2gb of written data in one go.

Sonit really depends of the usecase

11 minutes ago, MightyUnit said:

Storage, OS is on an 850x NVMe drive.

I thought that the cache was larger than 1-2GB. However I am still not impressed <200MB/s after the cache... 

EDIT: AFAIK the cache dynamically changes depending on free space.

(https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-870-qvo-sata-ssd)image.png.738af205516b2f09767e98c65fcb61a3.png

I have the 860 and it sucks ass for writing. Fine for reads but man is is SLOW and it is the 2tb one. That 160mb/s is absolute bs

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I have the 860 and it sucks ass for writing. Fine for reads but man is is SLOW and it is the 2tb one. That 160mb/s is absolute bs

Completely agree, thanks for the info. The more I read the more learn that the QVO will not be for me. I Loathe and Despise SSDs that write slowly once their small cache fills! 

13 minutes ago, MightyUnit said:

Completely agree, thanks for the info. The more I read the more learn that the QVO will not be for me. I Loathe and Despise SSDs that write slowly once their small cache fills! 

Same got a mx500 for like 30€ more and its a lot better

Also that hybrid tech is basically dumping stuff into ram or a faster drive that can hold it whilst its being written to the ssd. Its honestly a bad bandaid solution

I dont expect drives to do their full speed all the time but like come on a decrnt hdd does 100mb/s and for storage thats the least id expect

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Same got a mx500 for like 30€ more and its a lot better

Also that hybrid tech is basically dumping stuff into ram or a faster drive that can hold it whilst its being written to the ssd. Its honestly a bad bandaid solution

I dont expect drives to do their full speed all the time but like come on a decrnt hdd does 100mb/s and for storage thats the least id expect

I would consider two MX500 4TB in RAID 0 but I am not super fond of RAID. The scars remain...

It seems you and I are in compete agreement. NEVER should an SSD be slower than a HDD... ever.

You could also check out in factory seal at $620 plus shipping: P4510 8TB Intel SSD Series DC NVME U.2 2.5" SSDPE2KX080T8 Solid State Drive | eBay

If you feel up to trying your luck, see this at around $525 + shipping, around 4% wear as can be seen in pictures : P4510 8TB Intel SSD Series DC NVME U.2 2.5" SSDPE2KX080T8 Solid State Drive | eBay

They do around 3.2 GB/s read, 3 GB/s write, up to 16w power consumption and up to 13.88 PBW endurance (64 layer TLC memory with lots of spare flash memory)

A pci-e U.2 adapter card costs around 20$ : https://www.amazon.com/YUNKOZAND-Expansion-SFF-8639-Adapter-Self-Powered/dp/B09FPKWDTS/

another example (which also includes sata connector in case you wish to put a 2.5" sata drive on it) : Amazon.com: U.2 to PCI-e Adapter, RIITOP PCIe 3.0 x4 to 2.5" U.2 (SFF-8639) SSD or SATA3 (6G) to 2.5 SATA SSD Expansion Card : Electronics

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You could also check out in factory seal at $620 plus shipping: P4510 8TB Intel SSD Series DC NVME U.2 2.5" SSDPE2KX080T8 Solid State Drive | eBay

If you feel up to trying your luck, see this at around $525 + shipping, around 4% wear as can be seen in pictures : P4510 8TB Intel SSD Series DC NVME U.2 2.5" SSDPE2KX080T8 Solid State Drive | eBay

They do around 3.2 GB/s read, 3 GB/s write, up to 16w power consumption and up to 13.88 PBW endurance (64 layer TLC memory with lots of spare flash memory)

A pci-e U.2 adapter card costs around 20$ : https://www.amazon.com/YUNKOZAND-Expansion-SFF-8639-Adapter-Self-Powered/dp/B09FPKWDTS/

another example (which also includes sata connector in case you wish to put a 2.5" sata drive on it) : Amazon.com: U.2 to PCI-e Adapter, RIITOP PCIe 3.0 x4 to 2.5" U.2 (SFF-8639) SSD or SATA3 (6G) to 2.5 SATA SSD Expansion Card : Electronics

Cool! I will check those out. However what do you mean by "...trying my luck"? because China?

EDIT: NVM, I see what you likely mean. USED + China =  What would I end up with 

1 minute ago, MightyUnit said:

Cool! I will check those out. However what do you mean by "...trying my luck"? because China?

As in you may not be as lucky and you may get one drive with 10-20% wear, not just 4% like shown in the picture. It would still be plenty of life left ... these drives are almost 14 petabytes of endurance ... a 870 QVO is rated for almost 3 petabytes.

If you send seller a message asking them nicely to send you one with least wear as possible, they'd probably do it. Though it's a seller with tons of selled items so maybe they won't have time to cherry pick one for you.

It's also worth pointing the matter of warranty and how much you care about warranty - usually eBay items come with 30 days to 90 days of warranty offered by the seller... not years.

22 minutes ago, MightyUnit said:

I would consider two MX500 4TB in RAID 0 but I am not super fond of RAID. The scars remain...

It seems you and I are in compete agreement. NEVER should an SSD be slower than a HDD... ever.

Dont for importanr stuff. Also raid never is a straight up performance increase

20 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Oh hey I have 2 of those. Neat lil drives but got em way cheaper on ebay 😛

3 minutes ago, MightyUnit said:

Do you think those are used in re sealed bags?

Course those are just generic anti static bags no way you are getting a multi 1000$ drive for 600$ sealed 😛

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

... but got em way cheaper on ebay 😛

what did you pay?

As the seller is the same for both links, I have assumed the $620 ones are unused, and the $525 ones had a discount for having some wear.

I may be wrong.

9 minutes ago, MightyUnit said:

what did you pay?

Got the 4tb for 170 a piece about  a year ago the 1 gen older ones

Just ordered a new Samsung PM9A3 7.68 TB nvme drive even with the pcie adapter 70+ lower than this.  That is a 4.0 TLC drive with the same controller as the 980 pro.  It's also warrantied for 14PB and 5 years.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

32 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Course those are just generic anti static bags no way you are getting a multi 1000$ drive for 600$ sealed 😛

Yes enterprise drives can routinely be found on sale for really good prices after about 2 years on the market.  I've had the 3.84TB PM983 for a while and just adding a 7.68TB PM9A3.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

3 minutes ago, ewitte said:

Yes enterprise drives can routinely be found on sale for really good prices after about 2 years on the market.  I've had the 3.84TB PM983 for a while and just adding a 7.68TB PM9A3.

Certified new, "new" or used?

26 minutes ago, mariushm said:

As the seller is the same for both links, I have assumed the $620 ones are unused, and the $525 ones had a discount for having some wear.

I may be wrong.

It does seem like they are new SSDs... hmmm

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Certified new, "new" or used?

The 3.84 was open box and had 0 writes.  It's an OEM drive so there is no warranty.  The 7.68TB is new with a 5 year / 14PB warranty.

12 minutes ago, ewitte said:

Just ordered a new Samsung PM9A3 7.84 TB nvme drive even with the pcie adapter 70+ lower than this.  

Links please!!

Just now, ewitte said:

The 3.84 was open box and had 0 writes.  It's an OEM drive so there is no warranty.  The 7.68TB is new with a 5 year / 14PB warranty.

Nice!