KVM buying advice

pkiller162

Hi all,

I am looking to implement the below gaming/working-from-home environment using a KVM switch and had a few questions:

• Duel monitors (both HDMI)
  • Desktop gaming PC (HDMI or DP output)
  • Work laptop (single HDMI out, USB-C out (think this might support thunderbolt))
  • USB peripherals (keyboard, mouse, Bluetooth headset)
  • No real budget for switch and no requirements for high resolution/refresh rates (but it would be nice for 4k/144hz)

Currently I have the work laptop using a dock so it can output to 2 screens. What I would like to happen is, when I finish work for the day, I just press the switch and I am back to my gaming PC setup. At the moment I have to unplug everything and plug it back into my PC ☹️.

Can I still hook up a laptop to 2 screens using a KVM switch via USB? Or would I need some sort of HDMI splitter?

If anyone has a similar setup, let me know what your KVM of choice is (or if you have any recommendations)

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, pkiller162 said:

-SNIP-

For HMDMI this one is 4K at 60Hz, dual monitor KVM's are usually pretty pricey. I've used some lower end 1080p versions before and they are still pushing about $75-100.

https://www.tesmart.com/collections/dual-monitor/products/2-port-dual-monitor-kvm-switch-hdmi-4k60hz-with-usb-hub

For 4K 144Hz looks like most are DP:

https://www.rextron.com/product-2-Ports-Dual-Monitor-8K-DisplayPort-1-4-KVM-Switch-With-USB-3-2-Gen-2,-Audio,-Hotkey-Control-PAAG-ET3122B.html

Shouldn't be an issue with USB C to HDMI for laptop and a HDMI out long as the laptop itself supports two display outputs at once. 

Thanks for the reply 🙂 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Shouldn't be an issue with USB C to HDMI for laptop and a HDMI out long as the laptop itself supports two display outputs at once. 

So are you saying that I need 2 cables coming out of the laptop, one from the USB-C out into the KVM (via a USB-HDMI converter) and one from the HDMI out to the KVM (via a normal HDMI cable)? If so, what about the USB peripherals? Would this have to be a 3rd cable?

6 minutes ago, pkiller162 said:

Thanks for the reply 🙂 

So are you saying that I need 2 cables coming out of the laptop, one from the USB-C out into the KVM (via a USB-HDMI converter) and one from the HDMI out to the KVM (via a normal HDMI cable)? If so, what about the USB peripherals? Would this have to be a 3rd cable?

You will need to verify on your specific laptop and what the USB C port is capable of but you could get a USB C to hub converter with extra IO connectors and have power for the laptop come in through that single USB C. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087QZVQJX/ref=emc_b_5_i

It will still need a second HDMI to the laptop as long as your laptop can support both display output through the HDMI out and the USB C thunderbolt simultaneously.  Most hubs I'm seeing that are able to do USB C out with dual HDMI are limited to 30Hz or some display only units to 60Hz.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thunderbolt-Mini-Dock-USB/dp/B08KJJG7SZ/

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

You will need to verify on your specific laptop and what the USB C port is capable of

image.png.6c07e01a1bb1b2265888f8023b00a6cb.png

My current dock is a Dell D6000, it can supply power delivery, 2 DP connections, USB and ethernet all through a single USB-C cable.
Could I do something like:
Laptop -> Dock (via USB-C) -> KVM (via 2 DP cables or HDMI if I use adapters)?

• 2 weeks later...

What did you end up using? I have a very similar problem.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, Fresh_GT said:

What did you end up using? I have a very similar problem.

Haven't made any purchase yet!