Velka 7 mod?

Edward78
How hard would it be to take the back plate out that the GPU output cord(s) plug into, put a regular 2 slot back plate in place of it to be able to put the GPU in back to front?

https://www.velkase.com/products/velka-7

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

So you’ve got a video card that is too wide for an SFF case and you think that merely removing the backplate would make it narrow enough?  That’s only a couple mm at most.   I’d also worry about height.  To reverse a gpu you’d have to use a flexible riser and twist it.  Is this about making room for the cables?  There are systems that will do that. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So you’ve got a video card that is too wide for an SFF case and you think that merely removing the backplate would make it narrow enough?  That’s only a couple mm at most.   I’d also worry about height.  To reverse a gpu you’d have to use a flexible riser and twist it.  Is this about making room for the cables?  There are systems that will do that.  The G

It is to long 8", prob. have a easier time with a singe fan card. I wish I could find a 7" card that is the same quality as mine.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

2 hours ago, Edward78 said:

It is to long 8", prob. have a easier time with a singe fan card. I wish I could find a 7" card that is the same quality as mine.

Single fan cards have smaller radiators which means they’re too small for some GPUs.  One way out is a hybrid or full water cooled card.  Of course then you’ve got a radiator you have to find a place for. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

23 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Single fan cards have smaller radiators which means they’re too small for some GPUs.  One way out is a hybrid or full water cooled card.  Of course then you’ve got a radiator you have to find a place for. 

I meant a single fan GPU.

10 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

I meant a single fan GPU.

So did i.  Do you mean blower?  That’s a special kind of fan with much higher static pressure and isn’t normally referred to as a single fan gpu.

single fan

EB3D2A3F-B782-4CA0-910D-60A7E6D5BE59.jpeg.441421691e842e886f2321b8a0e36dfd.jpeg

blower

EE6F14A7-06FF-478F-A922-FE97709B835E.jpeg.09c090e3e01f3d0bc634d400073c50cc.jpeg

Edited by Bombastinator

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 10:50 AM, Bombastinator said:

So did i.  Do you mean blower?  That’s a special kind of fan with much higher static pressure and isn’t normally referred to as a single fan gpu.

single fan

EB3D2A3F-B782-4CA0-910D-60A7E6D5BE59.jpeg.441421691e842e886f2321b8a0e36dfd.jpeg

blower

EE6F14A7-06FF-478F-A922-FE97709B835E.jpeg.09c090e3e01f3d0bc634d400073c50cc.jpeg

I mean like this, I want to turn it front to back in the case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCX07NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

GPUs are the card with a heat sink on top of various (usually multiple slot) thickness so the actual comb is effectively on one side.  The problem you got is the pins at in order and flexible riser cables (which is what I think you would need) don’t like to fold (or rather they don’t like to work when they’ve been folded) so while possible it would take up a lot of space.  I suppose a hard riser could be designed, but it would be multi layer and therefor expensive, and I’ve never heard of such a thing myself (though that doesn’t mean there isn’t one somewhere in the bowels of aliexpress) so you might have to design it yourself and have some place like pcbway build it for you.  It sounds annoying or expensive or both.  Unless you find a hard riser that is actually designed to do this somewhere in which case it would be lots cheaper.

Edited by Bombastinator

19 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

GPUs are the card with a heat sink on top of various (usually multiple slot) thickness so the actual comb is effectively on one side.  The problem you got is the pins at in order and flexible riser cables (which is what I think you would need) don’t like to fold (or rather they don’t like to work when they’ve been folded) so while possible it would take up a lot of space.  I suppose a hard riser could be designed, but it would be multi layer and therefor expensive, and I’ve never heard of such a thing myself (though that doesn’t mean there isn’t one somewhere in the bowels of aliexpress) so you might have to design it yourself and have some place like pcbway build it for you.  It sounds annoying or expensive or both.  Unless you find a hard riser that is actually designed to do this somewhere in which case it would be lots cheaper.

Can't I just lay if back to front on the PSU? Just have to put a reg 2 slot back plate right? There would be that empy space then below the MB or I could just put it below the MB right?

1 hour ago, Edward78 said:

Can't I just lay if back to front on the PSU? Just have to put a reg 2 slot back plate right? There would be that empy space then below the MB or I could just put it below the MB right?

The problem is the comb.  It’s directional.  You don’t just have to flip the card you have to do that for the comb too.  Then get it to stand up.

18 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is the comb.  It’s directional.  You don’t just have to flip the card you have to do that for the comb too.  Then get it to stand up.

My card is only 8", so it will not fill the whole thing. it is attached in the case right? Also the triwsting of the riser is not good is it?

2 hours ago, Edward78 said:

My card is only 8", so it will not fill the whole thing. it is attached in the case right? Also the triwsting of the riser is not good is it?

Not normally, no.  At least not that much twisting.

What about a kolink satalite? They’re bigger but they’ll take matx (and therefor itx too) and a regular atx power supply. Also they’re dirt cheap often as not.  The price on them seems to fluctuate, but they’re often under $50. You can buy the riser cable seperate.  What are you trying to do anyway?  Putting in a video card backwards causes all kinds of problems and I don’t see the utility.

the case says it fits a 2 slot card 289 mm. that GTX 1050 Ti 4GB is 177mm

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

the case says it fits a 2 slot card 289 mm. that GTX 1050 Ti 4GB is 177mm

Crap, I gues I could turn my card 90", be better then the PSU being inside in the RVZ02. So how does the heat go out a vent is on the back of the case, but the card blows it out on the inside?

Crap, I gues I could turn my card 90", be better then the PSU being inside in the RVZ02. So how does the heat go out a vent is on the back of the case, but the card blows it out on the inside?

the gpu fan intakes form the side pannal and it exhaust out the sides. should have really good temps for gpus. cpus on the other hand not so much...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links