cpu dying

my auntie had a ryzen 7 1700x and has been working fine then evetime she turned pc on windows error 0x00000e9 would appear so i was diagnosing it and it turned out to be cpu giving up as i tested it with a ryzen 1600x and its fine but i re pasted it few weeks ago with Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Paste as could not get noctua from local shop had non and some how its all dried up and gone hard within 2 weeks what do you recon could cause cpu to start diying never been overclocked 

3 minutes ago, theboss72 said:

i was diagnosing it and it turned out to be cpu giving up as i tested it with a ryzen 1600x and its fine

well the only thing that determined is that the machine runs with a ryzen 1600x but it did not determine if it was due to the motherboard having a problem using a better cpu/the ram having a problem using a better cpu. basically , that specific machine can run with a worse cpu currently , but why that is isn't determined.

typically , cpus don't die. it's the only part of a computer that has an incredibly high manufacturing tolerance and is basically solid state and can mostly last... well forever.

motherboards and ram however are usually made a lot crappier and have an actual shelf life. without trying the 1700x in another machine or trying better ram/motherboard in the current machine it'll be hard to diagnose what that actual issue is.

I'm a bit confused on the question. Is it "why is the TIM dried out after 2 weeks?" or "why did the CPU die?" The answers to those are, respectively, "no clue, old tube?" and "it likely didn't"

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

You could bump the voltage a little see if that helps the 1700

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:48 PM, OddOod said:

I'm a bit confused on the question. Is it "why is the TIM dried out after 2 weeks?" or "why did the CPU die?" The answers to those are, respectively, "no clue, old tube?" and "it likely didn't"

Paste was brough 2 weeks ago online from Amazon and I no the cpu died but what could cause paste to harden after 2 weeks 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:39 PM, emosun said:

well the only thing that determined is that the machine runs with a ryzen 1600x but it did not determine if it was due to the motherboard having a problem using a better cpu/the ram having a problem using a better cpu. basically , that specific machine can run with a worse cpu currently , but why that is isn't determined.

typically , cpus don't die. it's the only part of a computer that has an incredibly high manufacturing tolerance and is basically solid state and can mostly last... well forever.

motherboards and ram however are usually made a lot crappier and have an actual shelf life. without trying the 1700x in another machine or trying better ram/motherboard in the current machine it'll be hard to diagnose what that actual issue is.

I tried 1700x in another machine  and it was giving same error 

19 hours ago, theboss72 said:

what could cause paste to harden after 2 weeks

*extreme* heat. I'd honestly expect significant discoloration on the chip though

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup