Wi fi help

Mathantastic
Go to solution Solved by Queen Chrysalis,

An ac1200 will be fine, but what kind of motherboard do you have?  Some of them have an m.2 wifi port (slightly different from an m.2 ssd port) that can take a small m.2 chip.  The intel AX200 does wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.2 and usually costs less than PCIe cards.

Otherwise, an ac1200 unit will be fine.  Your router is probably good too (aside from it being produced by a global IP thief).  I would use it and see how it is before you buy a new one.

Budget (including currency): ~500R$

So, Im moving my computer to another room, and Im gonna unfortunatly need to use wifi on it, Ive never really used wifi consistently, so I don't know what should I be looking for, so I need a lil help lol.
My mobo does not have wi fi support, so I thought of buying an internal PCIe wifi card, since I have the slot free, and from what Ive heard, those usb ones suck,
So I've found this, its a Tp-link Ac1200
https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/213982/placa-de-rede-tp-link-ac1200-wireless-dual-band-archer-pci-express-t4e-2916?gclid=CjwKCAiAoL6eBhA3EiwAXDom5lCLPDp3uhs7_0T_WjTxaRqZGV77byq-pFeXWO8IenK18_Y0m3VvCRoCrmsQAvD_BwE

image.png.b1258e00bc0ec8752d4fa991f5652083.png

I don't know if just this would be enough, or if I would need something on the other end, I am currently using this, wich came with my internet subscription (picture 2), but I found this one (picture 3) for relativly cheap, its a TP-Link Archer A6, and I

assume this will be better than the current one

image.thumb.png.d010ae87dc1a4d3f89ddc4f0e5ccbf2e.png

https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/309020/roteador-tp-link-archer-a6-wifi-gigabit-mu-mimo-ac1200-dual-band-4-antenas-archer-a6?srsltid=Ad5pg_F4L9HJxxnMrQfK7Z_OCo75fOZckckTZCfs9yTu4Sf4Hp8QlK-cKMY

image.png.7b1d32fc59bcaa9d6cbf32630500387c.png

My question is, is this enough? Am I underspending or overspending? I have a 400mbs internet, and I know I won't get that much through wi fi for obvious reasons, but is getting the new router gonna severly change my wifi experience? Or will it be similar? Also how many mbps is expected for me to get with this setup? Tbh if its above 100mbs Im fine with that, but it might be bellow that, so idk

An ac1200 will be fine, but what kind of motherboard do you have?  Some of them have an m.2 wifi port (slightly different from an m.2 ssd port) that can take a small m.2 chip.  The intel AX200 does wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.2 and usually costs less than PCIe cards.

Otherwise, an ac1200 unit will be fine.  Your router is probably good too (aside from it being produced by a global IP thief).  I would use it and see how it is before you buy a new one.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

The TP Link adapter you linked should be fine to use but you shouldn't need to invest in a new router. Unclear if the Huawei device you have is a modem and router in one or if it's just a router. I would recommend keeping the current Huawei setup though as the only reason to really upgrade the router itself would be to gain potential more range / coverage or additional feature sets. I also am on the side of running an ethernet cable or using PowerLine adapters if you want a consistent, reliable connection.  

Go with the PCI adapter - no need to upgrade the router based on info you shared.

11 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

I know about these m.2 wi fi ports, Ive looked around my motherboard and Ive never found one of those ports, if I did, I already have a wifi card for that port laying around, so I would just use it, this is my mobo
image.png.cd518fe70076e1adcc47ca7ca48ba92c.png

Thx for the tips, guess Ill pass on the router for now then, do u think 100mbs is achievable? I am only one wall away from the router

It depends on what the wall is made of and how the things around the router's antenna are positioned.  I have lived in a house with a shitty routers and old phone and gotten 100 across the house, and in my current place there's one wall that was such an impasse I ended up having to upgrade my router to one with a bigger antenna.

But probably.  Try it with your phone and see how it does.  The PC should be about the same.  That adapter is definitely capable of it.

10 minutes ago, Mathantastic said:

I know about these m.2 wi fi ports, Ive looked around my motherboard and Ive never found one of those ports, if I did, I already have a wifi card for that port laying around, so I would just use it, this is my mobo

Thx for the tips, guess Ill pass on the router for now then, do u think 100mbs is achievable? I am only one wall away from the router

That motherboard doesn't seem to have anything that is compatible with the wi-fi cards - usually not something I've seen too often and certainly not something you'd find on a B-series board from my understanding. 100mbs should be achievable but it all comes down to your router - I don't think it'll be an issue - real world performance is always different but I believe since ~2009 with 802.11n it's been achievable \

EDIT: Could also move your router into an open space on top of the shelf - minor detail but could also improve performance slightly. Worth trying and Chrysalis's advice is solid - using your phone as a test would give you a rough idea.

3 minutes ago, FrozenIpaq said:

certainly not something you'd find on a B-series board from my understanding

A lot of the ASRock, ASUS, and MSi ones do.  Even on some of their A520 and H610 boards.  More common on the intel boards.

1 minute ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

A lot of the ASRock and MSi ones do.  Even on some of their A520 and H610 boards.

Thanks - wasn't expecting ASRock to have it integrated at that price point. Just found a B550 with it. 

13 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

It depends on what the wall is made of and how the things around the router's antenna are positioned.  I have lived in a house with a shitty routers and old phone and gotten 100 across the house, and in my current place there's one wall that was such an impasse I ended up having to upgrade my router to one with a bigger antenna.

But probably.  Try it with your phone and see how it does.  The PC should be about the same.  That adapter is definitely capable of it.

my phone barelly gets 30mbs right besides my router, but my phone is pretty trash lol, I don't leave my house like ever, so I have the cheapest phone I could get my hands on.
I do live in brazil, and I live in an old building, we got really thick brick walls, if I close my bedrooms door I almost cannot hear anything outside.
This is my phone right besides the router

edit: Just tested on my mom's phone, that is slightly better than mine, it gets just a lil bit more, around 35 right next to the router, hers is a asus zenfone shot plus
image.thumb.png.71ff640a731c0f52fccf679aceee22c1.png

1 minute ago, Mathantastic said:

Can you find the model of the router?

2 minutes ago, Mathantastic said:

Also, that's pretty standard 4G LTE speed.  I trust your intelligence, but did you verify that you had your cellular antenna disabled and that you were only using wifi?

3 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Also, that's pretty standard 4G LTE speed.  I trust your intelligence, but did you verify that you had your cellular antenna disabled and that you were only using wifi?

is this it?
Also no, Im not using 4g lol, its wifi. U would be lucky to get over 5mbs in brazillian 4g

image.png

8 minutes ago, Mathantastic said:

is this it?
Also no, Im not using 4g lol, its wifi. U would be lucky to get over 5mbs in brazillian 4g

image.png

Here are the specs for that router:

hg8245q2-datasheet_compressed.pdf (barghchi.com)

I think the issue might be your phone.  It's rated for up to 1300mbps down on 5GHz and up to 450 down on 2.4GHz.  

That's unfortunate, but the PCIe card you shared earlier is a lot better than whatever wifi antenna your phone must have, so you'll have to wait on making a decision about the router for now, but based on the specs I found it should be capable.

The one other thing you could do is see how much worse the download speed on your phone is when you go to the other side of the wall where the PC will be.  The degradation may not be equivalent, but if it is the same, you might be good.  If it gets a lot worse, you may wan;t to look into a new router, but you would still need to have the PCIe WiFi card in the PC and test it with that to be sure.

7 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Here are the specs for that router:

hg8245q2-datasheet_compressed.pdf (barghchi.com)

I think the issue might be your phone.  It's rated for up to 1300mbps down on 5GHz and up to 450 down on 2.4GHz.  

That's unfortunate, but the PCIe card you shared earlier is a lot better than whatever wifi antenna your phone must have, so you'll have to wait on making a decision about the router for now, but based on the specs I found it should be capable.

The one other thing you could do is see how much worse the download speed on your phone is when you go to the other side of the wall where the PC will be.  The degradation may not be equivalent, but if it is the same, you might be good.  If it gets a lot worse, you may wan;t to look into a new router, but you would still need to have the PCIe WiFi card in the PC and test it with that to be sure.

tested the diference, it has a lot of degradation, goes from the 28 I showed, to 8, but luckly, we have another router, that is way better (it has big ass antenas) that we put on the living room cause wifi connection there used to be bad before, and even though it is more than twice as far away as the other router, and has to go through 3 times as many walls, it gets pretty much 0 degradation, 28mbs right next to it, 28mbs from the other side of the house.
Ill get the wifi card then, and then Ill test, and if needed Ill get a new router, thank you for the help!