Trying to make my house wireless

Go to solution Solved by Ginz,

Can you tell me if there is a difference between a daisy chaining routers and daisy chaining access points?

And will that help me to roam around my house without disconnections?

When you daisy chain routers, you are essentially using them as a switch. The usual functionalities of a router, such as DHCP, are disabled when doing this so that they do not conflict with your main router (for your basic network setup anyway).

An access point can be just a stand-alone access point (providing a beacon for wireless devices to connect to it, passing on the information to another device such as your main modem/router via ethernet or wireless). Routers with wireless functionalities are also access points.

My suggestion to solve your issue would be to either:

1) Purchase an Ubiquiti UAP-LR 802.11n Long Range Access Point and connect it with an ethernet cable to your main router, positioning the new AP as close as you can to the middle of your house.

2) Purchase a powerline kit and set up suggestion 1 with the best possible positioning that will maximise your wireless signal strength (you basically run an ethernet cable from your main router to a power socket where one powerline adapter is connected, then plug the secondary adapter which comes with your kit in another room and run an ethernet cable off of that to the new AP). Think of it as a sphere of wireless around each access point. If that confused you, it basically lets you use your electrical wiring in your house for your network so that you don't have run an ethernet cable all the way through your house. It is however, slower than running an ethernet cable and also has higher latency.

When you set up secondary access points, have the SSIDs (wireless name) match on each access point with the same password and you will automatically switch between access points depending on whichever has better signal strength. This is often seamless but different setups act differently so you might notice a hitch in a stream for a second while switching.

Sorry if any of this didn't make sense as I am writing this on very little sleep.

Hi guys,

I am not so good with networking. I have a large house and I am using an ADSL internet connection. Currently my setup is Telephone line to ADSL Modem to Asus RT-N66U. This provides me wifi in my room and to adjacent 3 room. But the living room gets weak connection in living room and doesn't go beyond to the next 3 rooms. I am planning to daisy chain two basic wireless router one in "living room" and another in "master bedroom 2" connect with ethernet to my asus router. So that i will cover my whole house. I want to know will i be able to roam around the whole house without disconnection? If not what is the solution. My requirement is to get my whole house in wifi with the best possible signal. Without my pings getting affected in other room. Just like the way it works in my "children's room 1" it should work in every other room. Just for presentation purpose I have attached a paint file.

Thank you.

P.S. My taking help of this guide http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/how-to-extend-wi-fi-coverage-and-eliminate-dead-zones-26533.html

map.bmp

map.bmp

What about range extenders, probably a bunch simpler?

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

what I'd do is buy two access points and a 4-port gigabit switch. Then, put one in your study and one in your kitchen.

Compatible with Windows 95

What about range extenders, probably a bunch simpler?

I have Cisco Linksys RE1000 and its pathetic. It never works. No stable connection at all even if I place in the next room. From the day I purchased it it is still lying in my drawer. I wasted my money on it.

Plus this is what I read on many website that range extenders start with 50% loss in throughput.

I have Cisco Linksys RE1000 and its pathetic. It never works. No stable connection at all even if I place in the next room. From the day I purchased it it is still lying in my drawer. I wasted my money on it.

Plus this is what I read on many website that range extenders start with 50% loss in throughput.

I was aware that they used to be dreadful. I am really surprised that they havent made any improvements as far as this technology goes :(

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

I was aware that they used to be dreadful. I am really surprised that they havent made any improvements as far as this technology goes :(

Easy stuff never works :(

Only if it was well developed life would have been so easy. plug in to a power socket and press the WPS button and done.

I would daisy chain 2 routers or acces points.

I would daisy chain 2 routers or acces points.

Can you tell me if there is a difference between a daisy chaining routers and daisy chaining access points?

When you daisy chain routers, you are essentially using them as a switch. The usual functionalities of a router, such as DHCP, are disabled when doing this so that they do not conflict with your main router (for your basic network setup anyway).

An access point can be just a stand-alone access point (providing a beacon for wireless devices to connect to it, passing on the information to another device such as your main modem/router via ethernet or wireless). Routers with wireless functionalities are also access points.

1) Purchase an Ubiquiti UAP-LR 802.11n Long Range Access Point and connect it with an ethernet cable to your main router, positioning the new AP as close as you can to the middle of your house.

2) Purchase a powerline kit and set up suggestion 1 with the best possible positioning that will maximise your wireless signal strength (you basically run an ethernet cable from your main router to a power socket where one powerline adapter is connected, then plug the secondary adapter which comes with your kit in another room and run an ethernet cable off of that to the new AP). Think of it as a sphere of wireless around each access point. If that confused you, it basically lets you use your electrical wiring in your house for your network so that you don't have run an ethernet cable all the way through your house. It is however, slower than running an ethernet cable and also has higher latency.

When you set up secondary access points, have the SSIDs (wireless name) match on each access point with the same password and you will automatically switch between access points depending on whichever has better signal strength. This is often seamless but different setups act differently so you might notice a hitch in a stream for a second while switching.

Sorry if any of this didn't make sense as I am writing this on very little sleep.

2) Purchase a powerline kit and set up suggestion 1 with the best possible positioning that will maximise your wireless signal strength (you basically run an ethernet cable from your main router to a power socket where one powerline adapter is connected, then plug the secondary adapter which comes with your kit in another room and run an ethernet cable off of that to the new AP). Think of it as a sphere of wireless around each access point. If that confused you, it basically lets you use your electrical wiring in your house for your network so that you don't have run an ethernet cable all the way through your house. It is however, slower than running an ethernet cable and also has higher latency. Linus' Video

Thank u very much. I think I will buy the access point and not the power line. This helped a lot.

Thank u very much. I think I will buy the access point and not the power line. This helped a lot.

You're welcome :)