Case Fans Should Monitor Motherboard or CPU?

mikeb123
Go to solution Solved by xc3ll,

TL:DR: CPU is faster, but mainboard is more accurate.

It really depends on your configuration. Judging from your signature, you do have a rather modest TDP cpu with a very powerful cooler and a well ventilated case. In such a scenario, the CPU cooler is able to keep the processor in check without case fans. If it heats up more than typically, it is the result of increased case temperature caused by concurrent GPU activity - That's when you need your case fans to ramp up.

So, setting the case fans to ramp up ~5° later than the CPU fan should yield you almost ideal results and very fast reaction time. Your CPU Fan should reach full speed at 70°C, your case fans at 75-80°C based on your target noise level.

And if you want to go crazy, I can only recommend "Speedfan". It is a software tool to run very complex fan settings based on multiple temperature reads. While a pain to set up, it is able to give you the best cooling control. If you want to go this road and need support, I'm happy to help 😉

But honestly, just using CPU will probably give you 95% optimal results with your cooler/case.

Hello, everybody! I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any thread. My PC specs are those from the signature. I am not using any other case fans atm. My motherboard gives me 2 options when it comes to case fans:

1. Monitor CPU

2. Monitor motherboard

Which one should I choose and why? From what I've seen, people are pretty much 50-50: some suggest monitoring the motherboard, while others suggest monitoring the CPU. 

Thanks a lot!

PC specs: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X // GPU: ASUS TUF RX 6800 XT // RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Neo // MB: MSI B550-A Pro // PSU: Corsair RM850 // Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C Performance // CPU Cooler: beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

21 minutes ago, mikeb123 said:

Hello, everybody! I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any thread. My PC specs are those from the signature. I am not using any other case fans atm. My motherboard gives me 2 options when it comes to case fans:

1. Monitor CPU

2. Monitor motherboard

Which one should I choose and why? From what I've seen, people are pretty much 50-50: some suggest monitoring the motherboard, while others suggest monitoring the CPU. 

Thanks a lot!

Should be able to choose individually for each fan, that's how my Asus board dose it, I typically choose CPU for the fans closest to the CPU(plus one of the front fans) and motherboard for others 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

TL:DR: CPU is faster, but mainboard is more accurate.

It really depends on your configuration. Judging from your signature, you do have a rather modest TDP cpu with a very powerful cooler and a well ventilated case. In such a scenario, the CPU cooler is able to keep the processor in check without case fans. If it heats up more than typically, it is the result of increased case temperature caused by concurrent GPU activity - That's when you need your case fans to ramp up.

So, setting the case fans to ramp up ~5° later than the CPU fan should yield you almost ideal results and very fast reaction time. Your CPU Fan should reach full speed at 70°C, your case fans at 75-80°C based on your target noise level.

And if you want to go crazy, I can only recommend "Speedfan". It is a software tool to run very complex fan settings based on multiple temperature reads. While a pain to set up, it is able to give you the best cooling control. If you want to go this road and need support, I'm happy to help 😉

But honestly, just using CPU will probably give you 95% optimal results with your cooler/case.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901