Virtual reality n00b - Please help

irishbeast
Go to solution Solved by aager,

if you have a pc get s used rift s

if you have a console and want to play console vr games get a playstation vr

if you want some pc vr games but don't have a pc get a new or used quest 2 

beware there are 2 different quest 2's so be carefull 

ones newer and ones older 

In short I have been a looking for a VR setup for a while now. An area I know next to thing about it. 

Occulus, rifts, meta quests and various other names get throw bout not sure why I need/want.

Are the devices like those named console specific , universal or would that we wifshful thinking. I saw that the p55 is getting a new VR headset soon so amI best Washington on it (no longer a pc gamer )

Just want opinations on what 'state VR gaming is in, which units/kit is best? I appreciate my questions are very general but I don't know where to start.

I have a ps5,  46 inch QLed HDR tv and about £500 max to spend. Its it worth looking at now If so please help!

If you're on console, I'd say don't even bother. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

9 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

If you're on console, I'd say don't even bother. 

This. Or get a quest. Looks and feels fine and is an all in one vr solution.

Definitely try out vr before you commit to spending money though. I got a Rift S at one point and then sold it. Gave me pretty bad motion sickness and wasn’t for me (even after trying to acclimate myself). 

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

if you have a pc get s used rift s

if you have a console and want to play console vr games get a playstation vr

if you want some pc vr games but don't have a pc get a new or used quest 2 

beware there are 2 different quest 2's so be carefull 

ones newer and ones older 

Thanks for the advice.

I recently sold my high end gaming PC, looks like I am going to rue that decision even more. Unless I break the bank on a new one but not sure i Can justify that.

If thee not a new one for the ps5 being released imminently

What kind of VR games are you looking to play?

Racing/Flight/Space sims are going to require a decent PC. there is nothing standalone that really touches them.

PSVR 2 Might be a good all around option when it comes out but it's unlikely to work on a PC any time soon if at all so you could only use it for PS5 VR games.

Quest 2's standalone games can be good for what they are but aren't going to have the same potential as PSVR2/PS5 games but you do have the option to connect to a PC in the future for more demanding games.

If you want the best tracking accuracy you're looking at a Valve Index or Vive Pro 2 but those are quite a bit out of your price range and are PC only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, trufret said:

What kind of VR games are you looking to play?

Racing/Flight/Space sims are going to require a decent PC. there is nothing standalone that really touches them.

PSVR 2 Might be a good all around option when it comes out but it's unlikely to work on a PC any time soon if at all so you could only use it for PS5 VR games.

Quest 2's standalone games can be good for what they are but aren't going to have the same potential as PSVR2/PS5 games but you do have the option to connect to a PC in the future for more demanding games.

If you want the best tracking accuracy you're looking at a Valve Index or Vive Pro 2 but those are quite a bit out of your price range and are PC only.

Not sure to be hones. I think the PSVR two might be an option Just want to see what all the fuss is about