High quality 4.0 riser cables?

Kitsan
Go to solution Solved by Blai5e,

@Kitsan - ‎I use riser cables by LINKUP Technology Inc. I bought my first directly from LINKUP and is in use with my 3090 GPU. The second one came with the EKWB Vertical GPU Holder EVO which I have connected to my 4090 GPU. Not exactly cheap but I've had zero issues with either cable so far.

I had the 4.0 version of the meshify and had 0 issues.

I have changed to a full tower as I no longer need to travel with my PC. I'm hoping to snag a bargain used 13900K when the X3D parts come out and a 4080/4090 when prices become a bit saner.

I have purchased two different 4.0 riser cables/vertical brackets:

EZDIY-FAB Vertical PCIe 4.0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09WTQB3GN?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

NZXT Vertical 4.0 GPU Mounting Kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B4HJSH49?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Both have issues.

The NZXT worked. Then randomly, the screen flashes black, and sometimes green and pink square flashes.

The EZDIY was working fine for about 36/48 hours. Then my system became more unstable to the point where the system couldn't even find the boot drive. I thought this was a virus and reinstalled windows. This didn't do anything, so I decided to try the system without the riser, and it has worked flawlessly since.

Is this bad luck, or are PCI-E 4.0 risers still pretty terrible?

Are there any high-quality risers I could try?

Or is it a case of just running risers in PCI-E 3.0 and keep waiting for someone to make better 4.0 risers?

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

You've mentioned traveling with your pc. Over time, the old riser might have gotten loose? Have you tryed the old riser thingy again, after you confirmed all the other hardware was fine?

@Kitsan - ‎I use riser cables by LINKUP Technology Inc. I bought my first directly from LINKUP and is in use with my 3090 GPU. The second one came with the EKWB Vertical GPU Holder EVO which I have connected to my 4090 GPU. Not exactly cheap but I've had zero issues with either cable so far.

8 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

You've mentioned traveling with your pc. Over time, the old riser might have gotten loose? Have you tryed the old riser thingy again, after you confirmed all the other hardware was fine?

My old cable did and still does work fine. I can't use it in a full tower case as it's shaped differently.

I have moved to a new case and tried two different 4.0 risers.

Both failed.

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

Just now, Blai5e said:

Did they both work in 4.0 mode?

At this point, I just want something that works, so I don't mind about the price.

4 minutes ago, Kitsan said:

Did they both work in 4.0 mode?

At this point, I just want something that works, so I don't mind about the price.

Absolutely.

53 minutes ago, Blai5e said:

Absolutely.

Okay, i've ordered one. You weren't kidding when you said it wasn't cheap!

Im using the linkup PCI-e 4.0 90o 220mm raiser cable, it wasnt cheap, with a RX6800, never had any issues with it, build quality is excellent, when Lian Li finally released the 2 risers for the 011 Mini, I just brought the cheaper PCI-e 3.0 version and swapped the cables, perfect fit.