Artifacting on desktop ... GPU or driver related? (Gigabyte RTX 3080)

kevinj93

A few days ago I updated GPU drivers to v.528.02

When I first turned on my PC earlier today, I ran bluestacks. That caused some weird artifacts on the desktop (a few grey rectangles that disappeared a few seconds later). However, GPU driver didn't crash until I tried opened a youtube video. After the crash it successfully recovered and I had no issues ever since (tried opening youtube/facebook in chrome, all worked fine) .

Tried running MSI kombustor with artifact scanner for 30 mins with no issues. Also tried running 3dMark stress test without any issues.

Event viewer shows the following (had similar errors before, but no artifacts or driver crashes):

image.png.bc430f7d154b8d6a7d5dc20c5be5ff09.png

Events that occurred prior to this one:

Error occurred on GPUID: 100

Resetting TDR occurred on GPUID:100

Restarting TDR occurred on GPUID:100

All with Event ID 0 and nvlddmkm being the issue.

Games are not crashing but I was wondering if it is driver related since the stress tests passed without issues. Hopefully nothing's wrong with the GPU as it's only 2 years old with moderate usage. GPU is not manually overclocked (only factory OC) for those who are wondering.

Anyone with similar issues?

Sadly artifacting is most often hardware.  One could always just roll back the driver to check, but I suspect bad things.  It sounds like the thing is in spec but only barely and has always been that way.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Update: FurMark passed as well and no artifacts appeared again.

• 2 weeks later...

Any further developments? I saw a similar behavior recently and am confused... Asus TUF 3080

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:40 PM, aliasdred said:

Any further developments? I saw a similar behavior recently and am confused... Asus TUF 3080

Nope. Nothing happened ever since. I suppose it was just driver related. I push the gpu to the limit daily, and nothing bad happened.

4 hours ago, kevinj93 said:

Nope. Nothing happened ever since. I suppose it was just driver related. I push the gpu to the limit daily, and nothing bad happened.

Maybe you just happened to have cosmic ray hardware interference or something that day.  So still hardware, but temporary.  I get the impression Cosmic ray stuff can even affect human eyeballs.  I remember a story from the space station of a guy suddenly seeing streaks of light from a cosmic ray shower.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:37 PM, kevinj93 said:

my problem was similar but i think it was the damn discord bug.. nothing similar happened before or since