[SOLVED] Dolby Atmos/TrueHD output from my UHD Player (Panasonic UB820) not being recognized properly by my AVR (Marantz SR6014)

EDIT: This issue has been solved. see solution below.

HELP ME FIX DOLBY ATMOS!
I HAVE A Panasonic UB820 paired with a Marantz SR6014. It is configured as a 5.1.4 Atmos system.
Dolby Digital+ Atmos Tracks are played normally from my 2020 Roku Ultra. (as well as the SmartTV apps built-in to the TV)

But after popping in Top Gun: Maverick into my UHD player I noticed I was getting some weird Dolby DD with a surround back channel as the signal???

So I switched in LOTR on UHD because I know that I've used it before on this equipment and the Dolby Atmos has worked.
I have The same problem. 
It's recognizing it as a completely different signal even though my UHD player sends it sending out  True HD
Which makes me think if I can get Dolby Atmos working on streaming it's definitely a problem with something in the player settings but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

note: I did notice the other day that somehow the resolution output had switched from 4K to 480, so I had to fix that. But after messing around with the settings I can't find any reason why it wouldn't be outputting as the proper format. Audio out is set to bitstream, and secondary audio is disabled.

Note: all firmware is updated,
and I already tried resetting to default setting.

I have attached some screenshots:

325276795_895379748178881_5159073009489386923_n.jpg

325157154_703882447968359_4171116795495185904_n.jpg

325154031_1309325379858776_8443412878689966489_n.jpg

as it turns out after being in support chat with a Panasonic rep it was a FACTORY RESET, rather than a default settings reset, that fixed the issue
I'll post the steps here in case anyone has the same issue

1. Turn the Unit off
  2. Press and hold the [OK], [Y], & {B} buttons on the remote at the same time for more than 5 seconds
    "00 RET" is displayed on the unit's display
  3. Press the arrow right ► Right Arrow button repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display.
  4. Press and hold the [OK] button on the remote control for more than 5 seconds.

After this you will start with the easy setup guide as normal.

now it shows that it is sending out a TrueHD signal, and my AVR is seeing a Dolby Atmos True HD is being received. All is well

Currently have to game on Wife's PC (see profile) so instead here's my Home Theater Setup!

TV: 2019 65" Vizio P-Series Quantum X | Media Streamer: Roku Ultra 2020 | UHD Player: Panasonic UB820 | Consoles: PS5 with 4TB external SSC, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo WiiU (Ethernet to everything)

SOUND
5.1.4 AVR: Marantz SR6014 | 2 Polk S55 Mains, Polk S35 Center, 2 Polk S50 Sides, 4 Polk S15 Height Channels, HTS 12 Subwoofer

ive been reading through this thread
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-panasonic-dp-ub820-824-owners-thread-no-price-talk.2990966/page-475

you have everything set up right from what i see and read.

the only thing i see is the panasonic doesnt support atmos
This unit supports high bit rate audio (Dolby®
Digital Plus, Dolby ® TrueHD, DTS-HD High
Resolution Audio TM and DTS-HD Master Audio TM)
adopted in BD-Video.

https://valueelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Panasonic_DP-UB820_USA_user_manual_edited_A.pdf

so im guessing you need to set your marantz to upscale the audio to atmos. and its set to play whats being sent to it.

It does support atmos. I've had it work many times before, most recently less than a week or so ago.
Sending TrueHD as a bitstream to the AVR. The AVR should AT LEAST recognized the TRUEHD signal coming from the player, but is still doing this weird Dolby DD with a Surround Back Center???

Panasonic's product page validates Atmos via bitstream. Which is what I have it set to.
But for some reason its sending Dolby Digital as its output???

Atmos.png

Currently have to game on Wife's PC (see profile) so instead here's my Home Theater Setup!

TV: 2019 65" Vizio P-Series Quantum X | Media Streamer: Roku Ultra 2020 | UHD Player: Panasonic UB820 | Consoles: PS5 with 4TB external SSC, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo WiiU (Ethernet to everything)

SOUND
5.1.4 AVR: Marantz SR6014 | 2 Polk S55 Mains, Polk S35 Center, 2 Polk S50 Sides, 4 Polk S15 Height Channels, HTS 12 Subwoofer

You seem to be aware already, but I thought it worth making explicit for anyone who comes across this thread, and also because you said this which does not track:

Which makes me think if I can get Dolby Atmos working on streaming it's definitely a problem with something in the player settings

"Atmos" is 2 different things that are handled differently. You can have support for one and not the other. There's the Dolby Digital Plus version of Atmos which is lossy and is what you will get from streaming services. TVs and streaming devices like the Roku tend to have better support for this type. Then there's the TrueHD version of Atmos which is lossless and what you will find on UHD blu-rays. Roku does not support TrueHD Atmos which I personally found out the hard way (and is why I have a Shield now).

The simplest solution may be that your AVR is configured to output a TrueHD Atmos signal differently than it is configured to output a Dolby Digital Plus Atmos signal. My Denon AVR has a Direct/Auto selector mode which will either send the input unchanged, or auto choose the best output option. Does your AVR have anything like that?

Also, that "(decode and bitstream output)" parenthetical concerns me. It may mean that the TV cannot passthrough TrueHD Atmos, it must decode it and alter the format before sending it along. My Samsung TV was like that for some DTS formats, it could not pass them through, but would first decode them and convert them to Dolby Digital 5.1.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

3 hours ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

You seem to be aware already, but I thought it worth making explicit for anyone who comes across this thread, and also because you said this which does not track:

"Atmos" is 2 different things that are handled differently. You can have support for one and not the other. There's the Dolby Digital Plus version of Atmos which is lossy and is what you will get from streaming services. TVs and streaming devices like the Roku tend to have better support for this type. Then there's the TrueHD version of Atmos which is lossless and what you will find on UHD blu-rays. Roku does not support TrueHD Atmos which I personally found out the hard way (and is why I have a Shield now).

The simplest solution may be that your AVR is configured to output a TrueHD Atmos signal differently than it is configured to output a Dolby Digital Plus Atmos signal. My Denon AVR has a Direct/Auto selector mode which will either send the input unchanged, or auto choose the best output option. Does your AVR have anything like that?

Also, that "(decode and bitstream output)" parenthetical concerns me. It may mean that the TV cannot passthrough TrueHD Atmos, it must decode it and alter the format before sending it along. My Samsung TV was like that for some DTS formats, it could not pass them through, but would first decode them and convert them to Dolby Digital 5.1.

The main issue was that I could now tell that the problem lied with the UHD player.

I didn't need the TV to passthrough Atmos because I was running to a receiver. Further diagnosis shows that the UHD player was actually sending out a Dolby DD signal even though I selected a TrueHD format.  This is a problem that had never occured before until recently.

Anyways. I was able to solve the issue after speaking with a customer support chat. 

as it turns out after being in support chat with a Panasonic rep it was a FACTORY RESET, rather than a default settings reset, that fixed the issue
I'll post the steps here in case anyone has the same issue

1. Turn the Unit off
  2. Press and hold the [OK], [Y], & {B} buttons on the remote at the same time for more than 5 seconds
    "00 RET" is displayed on the unit's display

Press the arrow right ► Right Arrow button repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display. Press and hold the [OK] button on the remote control for more than 5 seconds.

After this you will start with the easy setup guide as normal.

now it shows that it is sending out a TrueHD signal, and my AVR is seeing a Dolby Atmos True HD is being received. All is well

SOUND