gaming rig for 4K ultra in AAA titles

Budget (including currency): ~3500€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Exclusively Gaming: anything from Cyberpunk 2077 to Civ VI

So I'm planning to finally build a new rig after 5 years now. I plan on playing on 4K Ultra and want to be able to play new releases that way for a few years as well. Therefore I have already decided to build around a 4090. 

My current part list is this: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bphXy In addition to this I plan on getting a 4K@144Hz monitor like the Gigabyte M28U

I'm mostly wondering whether the DDR5 is worth it, what the performance difference between the 13700 and the 13600 at 4K ultra is (bottlenecked by 4090 anyways maybe?) and if my picks for PSU, Cooler, Motherboard and Case are any good.

I really want to avoid spending extra on non-performance components like the Case so if you know of something that performs comparably well and can house a 4090 please do tell.

4k ultra is even out of range for a 4090.

You could get a 13600k and call it a day your goal is 144fps and that thing does that half asleep.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/T3LyNc

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (€350.90 @ Alza)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler  (€32.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€229.85 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (€108.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€120.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Palit GameRock OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (€2049.00 @ Computeruniverse)
Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air ATX Full Tower Case  (€129.00 @ ARLT)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€226.90 @ Alza)
Total: €3247.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-11 23:04 CET+0100

Saved money same performance basically

Are you set on your monitor selection? I have the M28U and it is very picky on what cables you use and settings. I've also had a tough time getting it work correctly with multiple monitors. I have it working fine now but it was a lot tweaking to get it to work right. Of course YMMV.

The LG 27GN950-B I had before my dumb self got liquid over it and killed it worked way better.

4k ultra will work but you will probably have to use DLSS in some games to do so.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't expect to get 144 fps at 4K with max settings. What I want is to be able to play even stuff like Cyberpunk at 4K with max settings and hit something >60fps. I don't mind DLSS on Quality, as I personally haven't been able to spot the difference.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the 144Hz is for playing competitive titles like Apex or League which are less demanding.

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You could get a 13600k and call it a day your goal is 144fps and that thing does that half asleep.

Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€229.85 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (€108.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€120.33 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Palit GameRock OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (€2049.00 @ Computeruniverse)
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€226.90 @ Alza)

I do really want an AIO cooler though, might go with a smaller one than 360mm though. Also I assume there is no real reason to go for DDR5 then?

10 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

Are you set on your monitor selection? I have the M28U and it is very picky on what cables you use and settings. I've also had a tough time getting it work correctly with multiple monitors. I have it working fine now but it was a lot tweaking to get it to work right. Of course YMMV.

The LG 27GN950-B I had before my dumb self got liquid over it and killed it worked way better.

4k ultra will work but you will probably have to use DLSS in some games to do so.

I'm not set on the monitor, I just saw it recommended in a few videos and it seemed like the most affordable 4K@120+ monitor available.

3 minutes ago, Ayulin said:

I'm not set on the monitor, I just saw it recommended in a few videos and it seemed like the most affordable 4K@120+ monitor available.

At 28 inches 1440p is beyon plenty actually. Id just get that. 4k really isn't that big of a benefit at that size.

Just now, jaslion said:

At 28 inches 1440p is beyon plenty actually. Id just get that. 4k really isn't that big of a benefit at that size.

The thing is I have a 4k 28'' 60Hz Monitor right now and I honestly love the pixel density of that and would really not want to go back on that. However for competitive games I really want high frames as well which is why I plan to upgrade my monitor too and not just keep using the one I already have. I might also go for a different size monitor and since I don't really have a pick for the monitor yet I left it out of the build and budget entirely so far. I am set on the performance specs of the PC though in that it should be capable of 4K gaming at "normal" fps on max settings in recent AAA games and 120/144 fps in esports titles.

50 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So I looked into the parts you recommended a bit and I really like the Pop XL Air, I will probably put in a 240 AIO cooler since I do want the option of experimenting with overclocking and I'm set on AIO cooling anyways.

Also I couldn't find out whether the ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4 supports Wifi 6E it's not in the specs on their website.

11 minutes ago, Ayulin said:

So I looked into the parts you recommended a bit and I really like the Pop XL Air, I will probably put in a 240 AIO cooler since I do want the option of experimenting with overclocking and I'm set on AIO cooling anyways.

Also I couldn't find out whether the ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4 supports Wifi 6E it's not in the specs on their website.

Get the 360 then. The liquid freezers are top of the line stuff.

Not sure either but wifi 6e is a bit of a fleeting standard so I wouldnt worry about it at all.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Get the 360 then. The liquid freezers are top of the line stuff.

Not sure either but wifi 6e is a bit of a fleeting standard so I wouldnt worry about it at all.

If I do get the 13600K a 240/280 mm Liquid Freezer II should be enough right? That'd be great since it would fit at the top of the Pop XL Air which only has space for 360mm at the front. I'd rather leave the preinstalled fans there and fill up the empty space at the top with a 240/280 depending on what's necessary.

Alright, it's not like I'd have any router that supports the standard anyways so it really doesn't matter.

Also, can I get away with a 850W PSU if I go for the 13600K?

17 hours ago, Ayulin said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I don't expect to get 144 fps at 4K with max settings. What I want is to be able to play even stuff like Cyberpunk at 4K with max settings and hit something >60fps. I don't mind DLSS on Quality, as I personally haven't been able to spot the difference.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the 144Hz is for playing competitive titles like Apex or League which are less demanding.

I do really want an AIO cooler though, might go with a smaller one than 360mm though. Also I assume there is no real reason to go for DDR5 then?

Exactly why I went for it, heard good reviews and the price.

Also I agree 4K for desk space is so nice I wouldn't want to go down to 1440p monitor. I started with a cheap Samsung 4k 28" 60Hz (might be the same one you have) and didn't want to go back.

18 hours ago, Zomeguy said:

Exactly why I went for it, heard good reviews and the price.

Also I agree 4K for desk space is so nice I wouldn't want to go down to 1440p monitor. I started with a cheap Samsung 4k 28" 60Hz (might be the same one you have) and didn't want to go back.

So you'd recommend that monitor? 

Yeah LU28E I think is mine, and I really never wanna be able to count pixels again like on 1440p 

7 hours ago, Ayulin said:

So you'd recommend that monitor? 

Yeah LU28E I think is mine, and I really never wanna be able to count pixels again like on 1440p 

Yes my Samsung is the same, the LU28E. Pretty decent colours for a TN screen Samsung really tweeked the heck out of it.

If I could go back I would take the LG 27GN950-B over the Gigabyte M28U. The LG worked flawlessly until my dumb ass killed it. Maybe the Gigabyte just doesn't like AMD cards or whatever the issue is, it was a pain in the butt to get working right. Keep in mind many people have that monitor and no issues and the price difference is not insignificant.

8 hours ago, Zomeguy said:

Yes my Samsung is the same, the LU28E. Pretty decent colours for a TN screen Samsung really tweeked the heck out of it.

If I could go back I would take the LG 27GN950-B over the Gigabyte M28U. The LG worked flawlessly until my dumb ass killed it. Maybe the Gigabyte just doesn't like AMD cards or whatever the issue is, it was a pain in the butt to get working right. Keep in mind many people have that monitor and no issues and the price difference is not insignificant.

I'm still thinking about maybe going for 32'' instead, do you also have any recommendation for that? 

On 1/13/2023 at 8:16 PM, Ayulin said:

I'm still thinking about maybe going for 32'' instead, do you also have any recommendation for that? 

Nope. Due to space and wanting multiple monitors a 32" wouldn't work for me so never looked at them. Hardware Unboxed does a lot of monitor reviews so that would be a good place to start.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:32 PM, Ayulin said:

Also, can I get away with a 850W PSU if I go for the 13600K?

I can barely push over 700W with a 7950x and 4090 granted I've tweaked power usage down about 50-100W.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator