Recommended power supply for RX 6700 XT?

xFluing

Full specs in sig.

I was wondering if my 550W TX-M Corsair PSU is enough. I've had the card for almost 2 months and I haven't had any problems with it yet (except for a very very very specific scenario I'll get into later). PSU calculator even calculates a need for only 450w so I'm guessing I should be good right?

I also noticed that at least according to my RivaTuner overlay the total power used by CPU + GPU never goes above about 200 W, maybe 250 W in the worst case.

What brought this on is I noticed slight artifacts in a very very fringe scenario (a Portal 1 mod called Rexaura) and I heard that insufficient power can cause artifacting (but again the fringe nature of the situation makes me think it's just programming on the mod's part), though I highly doubt a mod of a 15 year old game would require THAT much power draw.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

22 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Full specs in sig.

I was wondering if my 550W TX-M Corsair PSU is enough. I've had the card for almost 2 months and I haven't had any problems with it yet (except for a very very very specific scenario I'll get into later). PSU calculator even calculates a need for only 450w so I'm guessing I should be good right?

I also noticed that at least according to my RivaTuner overlay the total power used by CPU + GPU never goes above about 200 W, maybe 250 W in the worst case.

What brought this on is I noticed slight artifacts in a very very fringe scenario (a Portal 1 mod called Rexaura) and I heard that insufficient power can cause artifacting (but again the fringe nature of the situation makes me think it's just programming on the mod's part), though I highly doubt a mod of a 15 year old game would require THAT much power draw.

run HWInfo while playing the game, play until it starts acting up then you can see if there's any weird thermal/voltage activity

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

7 minutes ago, lotus10101 said:

run HWInfo while playing the game, play until it starts acting up then you can see if there's any weird thermal/voltage activity

I will try that, now that I think about it, it's not that uncommon for even 15 year old games to suddenly chug down power once modded.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

9 minutes ago, xFluing said:

I will try that, now that I think about it, it's not that uncommon for even 15 year old games to suddenly chug down power once modded.

Yea definitely, have to figure alot of mods are made by independent groups or single person, their not making money on it and don't have a team behind them to give support or improvement updates  

is the portal 1 mod any good? I'm still playing Reloaded for portal 2

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

21 minutes ago, lotus10101 said:

Yea definitely, have to figure alot of mods are made by independent groups or single person, their not making money on it and don't have a team behind them to give support or improvement updates  

is the portal 1 mod any good? I'm still playing Reloaded for portal 2

It adds new puzzle elements such as some purple orbs that destroy energy pellets on touch, green energy pellets with infinite life (but only as long as you keep the button pressed), cube cradles that hold the cube at a certain angle for redirecting the energy pellets.

And yeah, looking at it, the new stuff has loads of graphics stuff going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually the culprit especially since it's all made by one guy. I am willing to bet they would have caused serious performance issues for video cards of Portal's time.

16 hours ago, lotus10101 said:

So for a first phase I ran Prime95 alongside Furmark for an extreme worst case scenario and the rounded up power draw was about 300W I believe, so I don't think I'm having any power draw issues, and furmark also had the artifact scanner running and didn't find anything so yeah it could very well be the mod itself.

5 hours ago, xFluing said:

So for a first phase I ran Prime95 alongside Furmark for an extreme worst case scenario and the rounded up power draw was about 300W I believe, so I don't think I'm having any power draw issues, and furmark also had the artifact scanner running and didn't find anything so yeah it could very well be the mod itself.

sounds like it, especially with furmark, that program has a tendency to run gpu past there safe limits