Help picking a GPU

Shnuks

Budget (including currency): 3000ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming and some 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FwMJQ6

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (€350.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€109.90 @ Alza) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€303.29 @ Computeruniverse) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€184.94 @ Computeruniverse) 
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€208.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€122.90 @ Alza) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€233.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 34.2" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor 
Total: €1514.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-09 10:48 CET+0100

I already made one post where most of the stuff was decided, but i'm completely stuck on which GPU to get. Basically i will be getting a 1440p 165mhz monitor, so i'm not really interested in 4k. I wanted to buy before Christmas, but the GPU prices were really whack, so i decided to wait for AMD's new line first and then Nvidia's new stuff. I'm now even more confused.  
I really don't know what i should get if budget really isn't an issue. I've had a very very shit year and a half so i decided to treat myself to whatever i want, but of course its got to make sense. I actually almost bought a 4090 yesterday, since even though it stupidly expensive, its seems the only one that actually has insane performance. But it seems really overkill for 1440p, although on the other hand it means high FPS with all the RT bells and whistles and maybe slightly longer future proof. 
I should also say that i get everything without VAT, since i'm outside of Germany (so i can't buy in all the shops) and buying as a personal company. That means most of the GPU's are quite close to MSRP.

Some examples
4090 i can get for 1800ish
4080 is around 1200ish
4070ti is 850ish
7900xtx 1100
7900xt  around 900 i guess

3000 gen is too expensive compared to the newer one
and the older amd are almost out of stock where i shop, but i see a 6950xt for around 800

Anyway please help. On one hand i hate the new pricing, but i cannot wait any longer, since my 4790k is really showing its age and my 2060 (which was bought just to tie me over to the 3000 series, but then corona prices happened and other personal stuff) isn't holding up very well.  

it’s really 4080 vs 7900 XTX then.

Does ray tracing matter to you?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

12 minutes ago, Shnuks said:

Budget (including currency): 3000ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming and some 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FwMJQ6

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (€350.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€109.90 @ Alza) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€303.29 @ Computeruniverse) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€184.94 @ Computeruniverse) 
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€208.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Kingston NV2 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€122.90 @ Alza) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€233.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 34.2" 3440 x 1440 165 Hz Curved Monitor 
Total: €1514.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-09 10:48 CET+0100

I already made one post where most of the stuff was decided, but i'm completely stuck on which GPU to get. Basically i will be getting a 1440p 165mhz monitor, so i'm not really interested in 4k. I wanted to buy before Christmas, but the GPU prices were really whack, so i decided to wait for AMD's new line first and then Nvidia's new stuff. I'm now even more confused.  
I really don't know what i should get if budget really isn't an issue. I've had a very very shit year and a half so i decided to treat myself to whatever i want, but of course its got to make sense. I actually almost bought a 4090 yesterday, since even though it stupidly expensive, its seems the only one that actually has insane performance. But it seems really overkill for 1440p, although on the other hand it means high FPS with all the RT bells and whistles and maybe slightly longer future proof. 
I should also say that i get everything without VAT, since i'm outside of Germany (so i can't buy in all the shops) and buying as a personal company. That means most of the GPU's are quite close to MSRP.

Some examples
4090 i can get for 1800ish
4080 is around 1200ish
4070ti is 850ish
7900xtx 1100
7900xt  around 900 i guess

3000 gen is too expensive compared to the newer one
and the older amd are almost out of stock where i shop, but i see a 6950xt for around 800

Anyway please help. On one hand i hate the new pricing, but i cannot wait any longer, since my 4790k is really showing its age and my 2060 (which was bought just to tie me over to the 3000 series, but then corona prices happened and other personal stuff) isn't holding up very well.  

I would avoid the 7900XTX for now due to the vapor chamber problems, at least the AMD one and all the custom cards that use AMDs vapor chamber. Cards with custom coolers don't have that problem, it's just AMDs vapor chamber that has a high risk of getting overloaded due to too little liquid

18 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

it’s really 4080 vs 7900 XTX then.

Does ray tracing matter to you?

I mean it would be nice to have, but seems the current gen (except maybe the 4090) isn't really doing a bang up job with RT without DLSS. I just find the 4080 so stupidly priced, if it was around 900-1000 Euros i'd buy it without thinking. 

6 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

I would avoid the 7900XTX for now due to the vapor chamber problems, at least the AMD one and all the custom cards that use AMDs vapor chamber. Cards with custom coolers don't have that problem, it's just AMDs vapor chamber that has a high risk of getting overloaded due to too little liquid

Yeah i saw that. Tbh i can only get 
Powercolor Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB

Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X 24GB
Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING 24GB

the rest has no delivery dates so they might as well not exist. I'd have to check if they use AMD's chamber.

Sounds like 7900 XTX it is (provided you can find one without the AMD vapour chamber)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Tbh, if you can get a 4080 ACTUALLY in-hand for 100 Euro more, I'd probably prefer it over the 7900 XTX. DLSS and better ray-tracing are nice to have, plus already having DLSS 3 frame generation (Not a fan from what I've seen but I have zero experience with it). It's just nice to have overall better support in various productivity apps etc and (a little) more driver stability, though as someone who has used both AMD and Nvidia for years, AMD's driver issues for me at least, have not been much of an issue and I've had issues with Nvidia as well. Plus, you'll get access to FSR in limited places where maybe DLSS isn't there, and ALSO have access to FSR 3 when it comes out, on whatever games it comes out for. 

But that would probably be if you could get an aftermarket 7900 XTX for that price, it would be a bit more compelling. If that's the reference model with fairly likely vapor chamber issues and the difference is 100 Euros, IMO I have to vote for the 4080, and it PAINS me to say that, but I think overall it'll be better, even if it's slightly behind in performance overall. DLSS looks a bit better and you'll probably like to utilize it as high resolutions anyway for some extra horses and so on.

Obviously at pinnacle of performance, 4090 is your only choice. It's cool but I don't know if in my case it gives me enough more for the money, since the 4080 is already quite impressive. The 4070Ti seems have (I think?) better price per frame than both the 4080 and 4090, but I also feel that if you're going this high on a system, why not jump another step up with GPU? But even the 4070Ti is NO SLOUCH even at 4K in fairly demanding games. Obviously Nvidia advantages for the 4070Ti still stand over the 7900XT in my opinion. 

Controversial suggestion: MAYBE consider something last-gen, or heck, even an RTX 2000 series and maybe wait for a significant price-drop and sell of the older card? Although it may even out, because if the newer cards drop in price, the older ones will too... That's up to you, and that's more involved.

34 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

Tbh, if you can get a 4080 ACTUALLY in-hand for 100 Euro more, I'd probably prefer it over the 7900 XTX. DLSS and better ray-tracing are nice to have, plus already having DLSS 3 frame generation (Not a fan from what I've seen but I have zero experience with it). It's just nice to have overall better support in various productivity apps etc and (a little) more driver stability, though as someone who has used both AMD and Nvidia for years, AMD's driver issues for me at least, have not been much of an issue and I've had issues with Nvidia as well. Plus, you'll get access to FSR in limited places where maybe DLSS isn't there, and ALSO have access to FSR 3 when it comes out, on whatever games it comes out for. 

But that would probably be if you could get an aftermarket 7900 XTX for that price, it would be a bit more compelling. If that's the reference model with fairly likely vapor chamber issues and the difference is 100 Euros, IMO I have to vote for the 4080, and it PAINS me to say that, but I think overall it'll be better, even if it's slightly behind in performance overall. DLSS looks a bit better and you'll probably like to utilize it as high resolutions anyway for some extra horses and so on.

Obviously at pinnacle of performance, 4090 is your only choice. It's cool but I don't know if in my case it gives me enough more for the money, since the 4080 is already quite impressive. The 4070Ti seems have (I think?) better price per frame than both the 4080 and 4090, but I also feel that if you're going this high on a system, why not jump another step up with GPU? But even the 4070Ti is NO SLOUCH even at 4K in fairly demanding games. Obviously Nvidia advantages for the 4070Ti still stand over the 7900XT in my opinion. 

Controversial suggestion: MAYBE consider something last-gen, or heck, even an RTX 2000 series and maybe wait for a significant price-drop and sell of the older card? Although it may even out, because if the newer cards drop in price, the older ones will too... That's up to you, and that's more involved.

My plan at the start of December was to get something last gen, but i just missed the lower prices and 3080's went back to 1000 (where they still are new). I can get a 3080 for around 800, given the fact the 4070ti is the same, that would be stupid. The same goes for 6950xt. Its around 750-800 euros, but the Inno3D GeForce RTX4070 TI X3 12GB is 800 new (without VAT of course). I tried the second hand market a bit, but prices are still quite high and the cheaper offers always have some kind of catch. Like not having a receipt and being out of warranty. It would save me like 150-200 euros and its nowhere near enough to be worth it. I'd just rather pay a little extra and be covered. I'm not interested in the 2 series. 

One way would be to get a 4070ti and then maybe check out the 5 gen when it comes out. But the 4080 and even more 4090 i can skip at least 2 gens, like i always did. I usually upgrade 5+years, so i dislike constantly selling and buying stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Shnuks said:

My plan at the start of December was to get something last gen, but i just missed the lower prices and 3080's went back to 1000 (where they still are new). I can get a 3080 for around 800, given the fact the 4070ti is the same, that would be stupid. The same goes for 6950xt. Its around 750-800 euros, but the Inno3D GeForce RTX4070 TI X3 12GB is 800 new (without VAT of course). I tried the second hand market a bit, but prices are still quite high and the cheaper offers always have some kind of catch. Like not having a receipt and being out of warranty. It would save me like 150-200 euros and its nowhere near enough to be worth it. I'd just rather pay a little extra and be covered. I'm not interested in the 2 series. 

One way would be to get a 4070ti and then maybe check out the 5 gen when it comes out. But the 4080 and even more 4090 i can skip at least 2 gens, like i always did. I usually upgrade 5+years, so i dislike constantly selling and buying stuff. 

True, great points. I think if you can get a 4070Ti at that price (shockingly reasonable from what I hear about much of European GPU market and other factors), that really ain't bad at all. Also, I don't think any normal person would be disappointed with performance of a 4070Ti. Price? Sure, maybe, but obviously we both kinda' know how that is. I do agree with trying to buy and sell, that's just extra labor, and that does cost $ when you really think about it...

Honestly, I'd say if you simply look at performance in the most demanding games right now, like Plague Tale: Requiem as an example and that amount of horsepower is looking good for you, I think you'll be very satisfied with a 4070Ti and shouldn't look back! 🙂 And hey, if it suddenly drops $100 and you take even 4 years to upgrade, you "lost out" on 25 Euros per year but you've got a good working card in your hand, and that still counts for a lot. Or if you're interested in 5000 series after getting 4070Ti, you could wait 3 years (2 for initial release, and another year waiting for potential price drop or whatever the case, and it's still 33 Euros a year...)