Front Mounted AIO Air Flow

J C

Hi all,

so I am building a system with Fractal Torrent with front mounted 360mm aio, and I was wondering why I need the radiator fans to 'pull' the air in through the radiator.

If the cool outside air gets sucked into the case, through the hot radiator, what is coming into the case is effectively a hot air that we would otherwise vent out of the case, had the aio was mounted on top.

Could someone explain to me why it is still a better setup to 'pull in' air into the case through the front mounted radiator?

And also, why is it a bad idea to use the rear/top fans as an intake and use the front mounted radiator fans as an exhaust? 

we'd just reverse the air flow from 'front to back' to 'back to front', and since we are not limited by CPU air cooler's airflow direction, shouldn't this also be okay?

thank you for your insights! 

Cool outside air gets sucked into the case, which will help keep your CPU cool. That air will pick up some heat, but not enough to be a major concern for the rest of your components.

You have to fight thermodynamics to use the top as an intake. Heat naturally rises, so you get more efficient airflow by using the front as an intake, and the top as exhaust. The cool air comes in the front, collects heat, and exits the top.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

36 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That air will pick up some heat, but not enough to be a major concern for the rest of your components.

Heat naturally rises, so you get more efficient airflow by using the front as an intake, and the top as exhaust.

Thank you so much for providing clarity to all of my questions, much appreciated. 

AIOs perform best front mounted with exhaust fans in the top of the case.

second best is to have a top mounted AIO with intake on it.