System Reserved Partition missing.

JoshCanHearYou

Hello, for some reason the system reserved partition in Windows has dissapeared and I don't know why. I discovered this by trying to do windows updates and it kept failing. 

I've tried various things on the internet with no luck, has anyone ever encountered this problem? If I can't fix it should I / do I need to reinstall windows? Thanks

image.png.4ba66f3f7423972aff49a05a44c7e896.png

If the system still boots no problem, dont worry about it. The system reserved partition should never have been visible in the first place.

Just now, SiliconMagician said:

If the system still boots no problem, dont worry about it. The system reserved partition should never have been visible in the first place.

Yeah that's what I've been seeing people say is that the system doesn't even boot but what about windows updates?

5 minutes ago, JoshCanHearYou said:

Yeah that's what I've been seeing people say is that the system doesn't even boot but what about windows updates?

System reserved holds boot data and should not be visible in the first place. So it doesn't affect Windows updates.

You can try to manually install the update that's failing and see if that resolves the problem. (see the update catalog)

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

7 minutes ago, JoshCanHearYou said:

Run the disk check utility in windows and verify the storage device itself still works correctly. if those are find you could use the built in DISM utility to find corrupted system files and replace any corrupted files with fresh ones from microsoft.

1 minute ago, SiliconMagician said:

Run the disk check utility in windows and verify the storage device itself still works correctly. if those are find you could use the built in DISM utility to find corrupted system files and replace any corrupted files with fresh ones from microsoft.

I ran chkdsk and it says everything is fine. It's been failing to install only one particular update KB5012170, but some others seem to have installed fine. 

image.png.17784df13e2eafee467cb7e7ae828de7.png

There is currently a second thread where we also try to resolve a windows update problem with a cumulative update form 2022-12.

Maybe you can try some steps to resolve the problem we already discussed there.

First I would try reset windows update: How to Cleanup the SoftwareDistribution Folder to Fix Windows Update - WinBuzzer

Then repeat the windows update and when it fails check the CBS.log file for a hint.