Remote Desktop Computer Over USB(-C)?

SergCR
Go to solution Solved by Bad5ector,
5 minutes ago, SergCR said:

I'm just wondering how is it that all this can be done over the network but not with an cable.

That's because you aren't understanding the underlying tech. Both are cables. The protocols that govern them are different. You want to do RDP over USB, sure no problem. But you or some company will have to develop the software protocols to do this. Because Ethernet has things already built in for stuff like connectivity between systems on a network connected with a cable (Cat5,6,7, Fiber, Coax, BNC, etc) to manage things like addresses and destinations (IPs, DNS, routing), have error checking in place like TCP, so that you don't get garbled display when connecting. Lots of things. 

You could do USB to Ethernet... and RDP, but you would still not be able to perform what you wanted because you are limited by the software, RDP, not the physical cable. Think logical topology and not physical.

Hi, I'm new in this forum, even though Ive been a long time LTT follower.

I have a question that I cant seem to understand the reason why.

RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), VNC, TeamViewer, and such programs have existed for a long time now, and they seem really good at remote-desktoping over the network.

Why is it that in 2023 we still cant connect two computers over USB (3, 4, C, Thunderbolt) and kind-of "remote desktop" one over the other?

I got to here when I decided to build my own gaming PC this holiday season.

I have 2 monitors, my mouse and keyboard, but now every time that I need to use my work laptop I have to unplug everything from my gaming PC and then reconnect to the laptop.

(I do it this way mainly because of RDP protocol limitation with smart cards, other protocol limitations and licensing)

I know that there are docking stations, I know that there are USB switches...
But why do I have to buy some peace of (expensive) hardware when I could connect the two computers over USB?

Shouldn't USB have enough bandwidth these days to pass-through theses signals all together?

Maybe I have too much of a niche problem that google couldn't give me a solution?

Sorry If I posted this in the wrong sub-forum, I couldn't figure out where to put it.

Greetings from Costa Rica!

Because usb isn't a far enough distance cable.

It's meant for remote viewing so longer distances not short 5m distances.

Now you can link up systems with link usb cables. But those aren't supported in most cases.

I think I'm shooting more for connectivity/simplicity than distance... I mean Remote doesn't need to be 2000kms away.

I think that I would be nice if people could connect one computer to another with a cable... instead of generating e-trash with docking stations.

@jaslionhow would you link two computers with USB cables? I'm looking for any ideas, so I can google some more and come with a solution (maybe).

@SergCR, so lets say that it can be done via USB. You're still going to be limited by your other issues plaguing regular RDP are you not,

57 minutes ago, SergCR said:

do it this way mainly because of RDP protocol limitation with smart cards, other protocol limitations and licensing)

Unless you are imagining a new RDP software to go along with your USB connection?

Otherwise, why not just use RDP as is?

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

@SergCR, so lets say that it can be done via USB. You're still going to be limited by your other issues plaguing regular RDP are you not,

Exactly!
Don't get me wrong, I am aware that what I am looking for has such a niche use.

I'm just wondering how is it that all this can be done over the network but not with an cable.

Protocols have security limitations, others are no longer supported, and the ones that can do pretty much everything require a license.

I just think I would be cool to have something like the good old serial port in servers, but with some kind of software that supports video (multi-monitor support maybe?) and usb pass-trough.

Or maybe it already exists and hasn't liftoff? 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, SergCR said:

That's because you aren't understanding the underlying tech. Both are cables. The protocols that govern them are different. You want to do RDP over USB, sure no problem. But you or some company will have to develop the software protocols to do this. Because Ethernet has things already built in for stuff like connectivity between systems on a network connected with a cable (Cat5,6,7, Fiber, Coax, BNC, etc) to manage things like addresses and destinations (IPs, DNS, routing), have error checking in place like TCP, so that you don't get garbled display when connecting. Lots of things. 

You could do USB to Ethernet... and RDP, but you would still not be able to perform what you wanted because you are limited by the software, RDP, not the physical cable. Think logical topology and not physical.

Thaaat makes sense!

Maybe some day, someone with the skills and knowledge will read this and do some open-source project... Just because...

Dreaming is free isn't it? 😂😂

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Just made an account for this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCwLjhb4YY&t=7s
In the beginning, it's called Thunderbolt Share and it fit your requirement to the T.
Unfortunately, there's not much info about them and it hasn't been released.

The closest alternative I could find is 
https://plugable.com/blogs/news/plugable-tbt-tran-and-thunderbolt-usb4-the-keys-to-fast-and-secure-remote-desktop
but it cost $19.95 
https://www.bravurasoftware.com/easy-computer-sync/buy.aspx
I'm not sure how the software perform over here.

Bruh, I just realized it Jan 2023 instead of Jan 2024...