Help needed in connecting a 2005 ATA 33 drive to USB/sata

Hey Guys, 

Thank you for reading - I need some help in identifying the best way to connect a older 6GB HDD. 

Context: This is a HDD from an old iRiver recorder that has stopped turning on. I've taken the HDD out and looking to connect to windows, and fingers crossed, it pops up like a removable HDD.  It currently uses a flat flex ribbon cable, ATA-33 connector, however I'm struggling to find an adapter that would allow me to plug this into either a USB port, SATA, or even simply copy the data to flash storage. I've found something similar (Converter) for Toshiba drives, but am struggling for this drive. 

I've contacted seagate's tech support who suggested I many need to daisy chain adapters, but did not give any further details on the type of adapters required. 

I've added some pictures, any advice or guidance here?

Model: ST650211FX
Connector: ATA-33
More information: https://testhdd.com/Seagate-ST1-Series-ST650211FX-hard-drive-5-GB-ATA-33-17.html

20230103_170834.jpg

20230103_170840.jpg

6 minutes ago, Machine12 said:

Hey Guys, 

Thank you for reading - I need some help in identifying the best way to connect a older 6GB HDD. 

Context: This is a HDD from an old iRiver recorder that has stopped turning on. I've taken the HDD out and looking to connect to windows, and fingers crossed, it pops up like a removable HDD.  It currently uses a flat flex ribbon cable, ATA-33 connector, however I'm struggling to find an adapter that would allow me to plug this into either a USB port, SATA, or even simply copy the data to flash storage. I've found something similar (Converter) for Toshiba drives, but am struggling for this drive. 

I've contacted seagate's tech support who suggested I many need to daisy chain adapters, but did not give any further details on the type of adapters required. 

I've added some pictures, any advice or guidance here?

Model: ST650211FX
Connector: ATA-33
More information: https://testhdd.com/Seagate-ST1-Series-ST650211FX-hard-drive-5-GB-ATA-33-17.html

20230103_170834.jpg

20230103_170840.jpg

What you need is a  "1/8" HDD adapter"

About chaining them together, as far as I can see those adapters terminate to mini-SATA connectors. You would then get a mini-SATA to regular SATA or USB adapter.

Just now, Machine12 said:

I think so, yes. I haven't had one of those old drives in years. Older MP3 players used them a lot. I should get myself one of these adapters in case I find them while cleaning up the garage.

9 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I think so, yes. I haven't had one of those old drives in years. Older MP3 players used them a lot. I should get myself one of these adapters in case I find them while cleaning up the garage.

Okay nice, let my try that one on Onbuy and will report back. It seems to be the only one which allows for a ribbon input! 

Honestly, digging through the old stuff is gold! Defo need to make it a summer project! 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 10:54 AM, Applefreak said:

What you need is a  "1/8" HDD adapter"

About chaining them together, as far as I can see those adapters terminate to mini-SATA connectors. You would then get a mini-SATA to regular SATA or USB adapter.

Okay so I purchased an adapter and it came in the post. It seems the ribbon on this hard drive is too wide for a standard 40 pin FFC ATA to any other connector. 

This HDD FFC has a 45 pin cable and so needs to be fed into a 45pin ATA connector, but I cannot find any online. When I google search for 45 FFC ATA to SATA I cannot find anything! 

Do you have any other suggestions?

• 1 year later...

I also have an iriver h10 model and 5GB/6GB HDD. There is no adapter to connect to a PC. You can make it yourself. I made it. Please refer to the picture.

picture.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg