5800x3d 90C in idle and gaming

Neovi
Go to solution Solved by Neovi,
1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

depends on your case cooling also, what case do you have?

undervolting is really simple on the 3D, but it's not necessary probably. 

Also dont forget to check your temps with hwinfo64,  still possible hwmonitor readings aren't correct. 

I'm still not sure what case I'm going to upgrade to tho, but the temporary one is bequiet dx500

Anyways, I wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied in this thread and helped, in the end you have directed me towards the pump failure.Somehow It just stopped working after putting it into new CPU. I changed the AIO into stock AMD  air cooler and it incredibly lowers the temp to 37C in idle and 76C in gaming. Gonna upgrade the stock cooler to better one but for now it is good enough.

Thank you all, once more!

Hello, so my problem is, the temps on cpu are pretty high while idle and gaming.

Hwmonitor shows that cpu is at 85-90C while idle and at this point I didnt know what to do. I did what I could, checked the entire AIO if It is connected properly, thermal paste etc.

Then I have checked everywhere like Reddit, this forum and topics about 5800x3d. Some say that it is how this cpu should work(?), it is good temperature and some say that it shouldnt be this way, so here is why I came here.

It is most likely irrelevant detail,  but this cooler was working very well with ryzen 5 1600.

Cooler is AIO corsair hydro h100i 240mm.

Temps are pretty much the same while gaming and idle - 90C. Weird thing is, the temps don't go higher after playing games, it is still around 90C as it was while idle.

Thanks in advance for replies

Check using HWInfo. HWMonitor has always had problems and I don't trust it.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Your pump isnt working, its not plugged in, or its not mounted properly, or its reporting bad data. Use MSI afterburner or HWinfo. My 5800x3d On my NH-D15 hasnt gone above 83c, and with PBO2 Tuner, hasnt gone above 80c. Most gaming workloads its between 60-73, cyberpunk it goes up a bit more.

9 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Check using HWInfo. HWMonitor has always had problems and I don't trust it.

This, plus if the software is reporting identical temperatures for load and idle, there's an issue with it somewhere.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Neovi said:

Some say that it is how this cpu should work

Eh, no? the cpu starts throttling at 85c, you can even see this in hwinfo64 in the specs tab.

probably your aio is just not mounted properly or the thermal paste dried out...

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This, plus if the software is reporting identical temperatures for load and idle, there's an issue with it somewhere.

i mean, it could actually happen:  

cpu is 90c "idle" , so under load it will just downclock even more since ~90c is probably the max it wants to go?

for me that would make sense.

edit: oh, OP is using hwmonitor... then i agree, that seems odd (above scenario would still be possible theoretically i guess)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Hi, thank you for all the replies.

5 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Use MSI afterburner or HWinfo.

5 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Check using HWInfo.

I have checked your recommendations when it comes to HWInfo and the temperatures are the same.

6 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Your pump isnt working, its not plugged in, or its not mounted properly

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

probably your aio is just not mounted properly or the thermal paste dried out...

I don't know if this can cause any problems, but I have populated my case with many fans, so I have to use fan hub from lian li to make them all work. About not properly plugging in - I have tried all combinations with the AIO plugging, directly to motherboard or through splitter/fan hub and the situation is the same.

I have mounted it the same way I've mounted it before, at the top, and It worked, or at least the ryzen 5 1600 was cold with it.

About the pump not working, how can I make sure the pump is working correctly?

And about thermal paste, I have removed dried paste and reapplied it and temperatures are still the same.

I was a little bit concerned about the AIO the moment it started to happen, is there some good and not too expensive AIO that will easily handle 5800x3d? Or maybe even air cooler?

I want to be prepared for changing it if this is the reason of temps, so I would appreciate some recommendations.

7 hours ago, Shimejii said:

My 5800x3d On my NH-D15 hasnt gone above 83c, and with PBO2 Tuner, hasnt gone above 80c.

Will I get low temperatures like you with this cooler, but without undervolting and anything like that? I'm not experienced in this and I'm kind of scared of messing up.

Sorry if I made something unclear or poor grammar. Going to provide you more specific info if needed, just let me know

3 hours ago, Neovi said:

Will I get low temperatures like you with this cooler, but without undervolting and anything like that? I'm not experienced in this and I'm kind of scared of messing up.

undervolting is really simple on the 3D, but it's probably not necessary with a better cooler.

Also dont forget to check your temps with hwinfo64,  still possible hwmonitor readings aren't correct. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

undervolting is really simple on the 3D, but it's not necessary probably. 

I'm still not sure what case I'm going to upgrade to tho, but the temporary one is bequiet dx500

Anyways, I wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied in this thread and helped, in the end you have directed me towards the pump failure.Somehow It just stopped working after putting it into new CPU. I changed the AIO into stock AMD  air cooler and it incredibly lowers the temp to 37C in idle and 76C in gaming. Gonna upgrade the stock cooler to better one but for now it is good enough.

Thank you all, once more!

Check your temps again with aforementioned HWInfo or Ryzen Master.

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean, it could actually happen:  

cpu is 90c "idle" , so under load it will just downclock even more since ~90c is probably the max it wants to go?

for me that would make sense.

Theoretically if CPU would overheat at desktop ("idle") then because it will throttle the same temp would be observed at load I assume. For it to reach 90°C at idle however something would have to be terribly wrong. 

3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Theoretically if CPU would overheat at desktop ("idle") then because it will throttle the same temp would be observed at load I assume. For it to reach 90°C at idle however something would have to be terribly wrong. 

seems, thats exactly what happened after all = )

i mean in these cases it seems almost always the same 3 things, inproper mount, no thermal paste (oops), or "dead pump".

thats why i really don't like water cooling, besides the whole actually putting water in your pc thing... 😬

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

thats why i really don't like water cooling, besides the whole actually putting water in your pc thing... 😬

Haha yeah. Air till I die, that's how I sleep at night. If I had water cooling and someone didn't fully stop a faucet and I wake up hearing ...drip....drip...drip... hahahaha.... I would be so fast on my feet.🤣

i mean in these cases it seems almost always the same 3 things, inproper mount, no thermal paste (oops), or "dead pump".

Well to be fair I almost forgot to remove the plastic cover on a cooler once ....god that was embarrasing..