Build to match M2 Macbook pro in video editing, is it viable?

BigFoot_05
Go to solution Solved by Quader199,

It was already stated above as well but the new Macbook Pros are very hard to beat for that work. I am a diehard PC user but I even bit the bullet and switched to the new Macbook Pros for my editing for the performance and accurate screen - but I was also looking for more portability too with traveling. If you know that you are going to be working with the Apple ecosystem anyway, it can also save you some headache when/if you need to share certain data, files, etc.

Budget: BRL 7.000,00 (about USD 1.300,00)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Vídeo Editing

Other details: Keyboard and mouse not included, monitor needed.

Hi everyone!

I was hired last month for a new job working as a video editor and photographer for a law firm. The whole office uses MacBook Airs, and my new employer informed me they will be getting a new M2 MacBook pro (512gb model) for me to edit on.

I´m a PC user and migrating to MacOS would require me to change my workflow quite a lot, so I negotiated a bit and was told that if I can find anything that performs better under the same price point, there will be no problem in purchasing that one. The possibility of better render times and no change in workflow are pretty important points to me, together with the ease of upgradable storage that usually comes with a desktop.

AFAIK, MacBooks come with pretty color accurate OLED screens, which is beneficial to me in both photo and video editing. If building my one that (the monitor) will need to come out of the same budget. That got me thinking if its viable to build a better machine on the same price.

Portability is not important to me as the machine will be sitting in the office, but reasonable sizes are aways a benefit.

I appreciate any help on the matter.

You can get close but honestly for that particular work I would take a MacBook Pro any day. Company also may reject your offer for getting a PC as they might be deeply integrated into Apple ecosystem with their MDM solutions.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Id suggest trying to get a 14in mac book pro if you can. The 13in mac book pro just isn't that great now, and the 14in has a much faster cpu and gpu, better screen better io, and better speakers.

As someone that uses Windows and Macos and siwthces ofte, I don't think learning a different os would be a issue. The buttons are in a bit of a different spot, but most things work the same.

For a windows system Id try to get a gaming laptop with a rtx 3060/3070 and. 12th gen i7/i9. Speed really depends on the program, but for most uses Id say both will be plenty fast.

It was already stated above as well but the new Macbook Pros are very hard to beat for that work. I am a diehard PC user but I even bit the bullet and switched to the new Macbook Pros for my editing for the performance and accurate screen - but I was also looking for more portability too with traveling. If you know that you are going to be working with the Apple ecosystem anyway, it can also save you some headache when/if you need to share certain data, files, etc.

I am not an expert! I have had experience building computers but in no way am I Linus! Please correct me if I am wrong, I would love to here your feedback!

Have a good day!

Thanks’ everyone for the input.

I really did not think about system integration as a point since the machine will be pretty much working offline in my case, but the possibility to repurpose the MacBook for someone else on the team eventually is something that was mentioned today.

I guess is the apple route then.

Gonna try to get a second monitor for it and prepare for a bit of a learning curve on the following months.
At least It will be something new to put on my curriculum, ha-ha!