I always have to unplug & replug DisplayPort before turning on PC just to boot on GPU instead of onboard graphics whenever I do a full shutdown

SHEEPMAN

I have this weird problem with my PC that whenever I fully shutdown my system, and let the PC rest,

when I turn it back on, the display will direct to the onboard graphics instead of my GPU.

So I'd have to shutdown the PC again, unplug>replug the display port cable from either the monitor or from the GPU, then it'd start working normally.

I use a Display Port instead of HDMI. never tried if issue will be fixed if I swapped to hdmi. pretty sure that's not what's causing the issue so I haven't bothered doing it yet.

Reconnecting the cables while the PC is running does not change the display from onboard to dedicated gpu. I really have to turn it off first.

This issue does not happen if you just shut the pc down for a few minutes.

It happens only when you let it rest for a few hours.

Everything runs normally unless I don't unplug and replug the cable before turning it on.

extra notes:

• Disabling the onboard graphics on the bios doesn't solve it.

• All the drivers are updated and installed.

• I've already done DDU and other common GPU Driver related troubleshooting, old driver version > latest driver version, etc.

• I thoroughly clean the PC and its components and ports at least twice a year.

• This issue has been happening since 2020. been letting it slide doing the ritual of unplug replug for 2 years now. built it on 2019.

Relevant Hardware:

• intel i7 - 3770

• Aorus RX 580

• Asrock B75m

• Seasonic m12II 520w

is the CMOS battery very old? maybe some bios settings are getting wiped on long shutdowns.

Additionally, you should be able to disable onboard graphics in your motherboard bios if you don't need them at all.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

ok I'll try to replace the cmos. I have some spare new batteries here anyway. 

I forgot to mention that though it only happens when the computer is rested for a while, it still only occurs at random.

so just now, the computer was resting for like 8hrs. it booted normally today.. it happens by chance like 50/50 BUT it would only occur when it is left turned off for a few hours..

also just to add maybe it'd be relevant:

on the BIOS:

IGPU multi-monitor is disabled, 

Primary graphics adapter is set to PCI Express

Disable iGPU once you have the new battery in and optimized your Bios. No Arguments.

13 hours ago, SHEEPMAN said:

ok I'll try to replace the cmos. I have some spare new batteries here anyway. 

I forgot to mention that though it only happens when the computer is rested for a while, it still only occurs at random.

so just now, the computer was resting for like 8hrs. it booted normally today.. it happens by chance like 50/50 BUT it would only occur when it is left turned off for a few hours..

also just to add maybe it'd be relevant:

on the BIOS:

IGPU multi-monitor is disabled, 

Primary graphics adapter is set to PCI Express

yea this can happen with old batteries. in some conditions, the battery may last be able to provide a little more juice. temperature can effect this.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.