How do I remove thermal paste from AIO cooler?

g335

Hello,

I have a Kraken Z73 and while install the AIO cooler onto the cpu, I accidentally rubbed off some of the thermal paste that comes pre installed on the AIO cooler.   

How do I remove it so I can just apply thermal paste onto the cpu as normal?

Do I even need to remove the thermal paste from the aio cooler, is there enough on it to still use it?

aio 1.jpg

Isopropyl alcohol works best, preferably a high percentage like 91%. Isopropyl alcohol pads work too but be sure they dry completely as they tend to be around 70% concentration and have more water in it.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

7 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Isopropyl alcohol works best, preferably a high percentage like 91%. Isopropyl alcohol pads work too but be sure they dry completely as they tend to be around 70% concentration and have more water in it.

Do you think there is enough left on the AIO to use?

Just now, g335 said:

They don't recommend reusing thermal paste as now there are gaps and valleys in the thermal paste so when you retightened it back on, air bubbles can get trapped (and no contact occurs) causing higher temps. 

I recommend reapplying every time you remove the cooler. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

They don't recommend reusing thermal paste as now there are gaps and valleys in the thermal paste so when you retightened it back on, air bubbles can get trapped (and no contact occurs) causing higher temps. 

I recommend reapplying every time you remove the cooler. 

I didn't seat it on the cpu yet, I wiped it by handling it while I was going to connect it to the cpu.

15 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I only have 51 percent

7 minutes ago, g335 said:

I only have 51 percent

Doesn't matter. It will just not evaporate as fast as with higher alcohol concentration. 

Just now, Gokul_P said:

It will be fine. 

I scratched the outer edge if the cooler plate,Dropped it and it hit a standoff screw.  Should it be fine?

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Doesn't matter. It will just not evaporate as fast as with higher alcohol concentration. 

1 minute ago, Gokul_P said:

It will be fine. 

Do I do the pea apply measure for the thermal paste?

30 minutes ago, g335 said:

Hello,

I have a Kraken Z73 and while install the AIO cooler onto the cpu, I accidentally rubbed off some of the thermal paste that comes pre installed on the AIO cooler.   

How do I remove it so I can just apply thermal paste onto the cpu as normal?

Do I even need to remove the thermal paste from the aio cooler, is there enough on it to still use it?

aio 1.jpg

high concentrate isopropyl alcohol. wipe the bulk off with a paper towel, then put some of the alcohol onto a cue tip and wipe it clean.

1 minute ago, solonoobie said:

high concentrate isopropyl alcohol. wipe the bulk off with a paper towel, then put some of the alcohol onto a cue tip and wipe it clean.

Thanks but only have 51 percent

Just now, g335 said:

I scratched the outer edge if the cooler plate,Dropped it and it hit a standoff screw.  Should it be fine?

If you dropped your aio it will not be fine there is a high chance you killed the pump or damaged your radiator fins. If its a joke then yes it will be fine 

1 minute ago, g335 said:

Thanks but only have 51 percent

that will work but not very well. above 70 percent is usually the average you need. but itll do the job with minimal results

4 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

If you dropped your aio it will not be fine there is a high chance you killed the pump or damaged your radiator fins. If its a joke then yes it will be fine 

Drop means dropped about 6 inches. Its installed in the case, just have to attach the pump part to the the cpu, as I had it, slipped and hit the stand off screw

Just now, g335 said:

Drop means dropped about 6 inches

6 inches thats a lot of inches 

2 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

6 inches thats a lot of inches 

I can attach it and see if it works.

22 minutes ago, g335 said:

I only have 51 percent

That's not high enough to use. Best for medical purposes only. 

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

That's not high enough to use. Best for medical purposes only. 

I only have that.  

Thanks everyone

13 hours ago, g335 said:

Probably not for optimal cooling but most of the cooling performance should be there. 

Isopropyl alcohol works well but just a paper towel can also be fine if you don't have anything else. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

First, you should use the isopropyl alcohol and rub with the cotton dip in it and try to rub all of it after then use the new thermal paste because the best practice in the case of thermals is that you should always use the new thermal paste while opening the AIO.  

Anything can be used to take it off including napkins from McDonalds. I'd avoid clothing you want to keep as it does stain. 20 year-old crusty stuff might take some elbow grease but that stuff looks new and will come off easily.

If you drop computer equipment, you may or may have not have damaged it.  The only way to be sure is to check it out and see.  For AIOs I'd double check to make sure it isn't leaking before and after installation and when it is running.  The pumps in an AIO adds pressure which will cause leaks to appear after it starts operating if you actually damaged it that much which I doubt.