Various ways of increasing wifi range

MrRoBoT696969
Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

Doing a search at newegg.com gives a bunch of responses for wifi extender.  Take a look.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=wifi+extender

Amazon will give you the same information if not more.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wifi+extenders+signal+booster+for+home&crid=2D77KMM855PQ&sprefix=wifi%2Caps%2C141&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_4

i have my main router sitting on one corner of the first floor, and on the other corner of the ground floor, I'm not getting any signal from 2.4Ghz WiFi let alone thinking about getting 5Ghz band (i know cuz low range high speeds).

I WAS WONDERING, CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME A LIST OF WAYS TO EXTEND WIFI RANGE, NOT TO MENTION IF EXTENDING 5GHZ IS POSSIBLE IT CAN ALSO BE AN AMAZING OPTION.

Doing a search at newegg.com gives a bunch of responses for wifi extender.  Take a look.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=wifi+extender

Amazon will give you the same information if not more.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wifi+extenders+signal+booster+for+home&crid=2D77KMM855PQ&sprefix=wifi%2Caps%2C141&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_4

Edited by kb5zue
Additional Information

9 hours ago, MrRoBoT696969 said:

i have my main router sitting on one corner of the first floor, and on the other corner of the ground floor...

Why 2 routers?

I'm not a fan of wireless range extenders/boosters. And this TechQuickie video explains why they suck.

If you can't run an ethernet uplink to a wireless AP, then a mesh system is a much smarter solution.

You'll probably have to either get a repeater/extender, or run network cable out to an access point. 

You could also try powerline networking. Essentially using your existing power lines as network. I haven't ever used it, but it may be an option for you.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 10:09 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Why 2 routers?

I'm not a fan of wireless range extenders/boosters. And this TechQuickie video explains why they suck.

If you can't run an ethernet uplink to a wireless AP, then a mesh system is a much smarter solution.

ultimately i bought rugged lan cable and ran it to the spare router

On 12/27/2022 at 1:34 AM, FAHEYGF87 said:

You'll probably have to either get a repeater/extender, or run network cable out to an access point. 

You could also try powerline networking. Essentially using your existing power lines as network. I haven't ever used it, but it may be an option for you.

i avoided powerline networking, cuz i think i know really well that it's been 17 years for top floor and 35+ years of ground floor and no one knows the state of wires in me house. i chose the good ol rugged network cable again.

18 hours ago, MrRoBoT696969 said:

i avoided powerline networking, cuz i think i know really well that it's been 17 years for top floor and 35+ years of ground floor and no one knows the state of wires in me house. i chose the good ol rugged network cable again.

That in itself is scary.  Wiring in the UK for example is supposed to be inspected every 5 years as faults can develop, and I don't think we ever had the horrific Aluminium junk some countries did.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That in itself is scary.  Wiring in the UK for example is supposed to be inspected every 5 years as faults can develop, and I don't think we ever had the horrific Aluminium junk some countries did.

Every 5 years? Sounds like an epic cash grab to me.

7 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Every 5 years? Sounds like an epic cash grab to me.

Its probably due to our dumb ring-wiring, if there's a break then the whole circuit can draw twice as much as the cable can carry without tripping.  Its the one thing I think is stupid about our standards.

There's probably also an element that if they say 5 years they know people are reluctant and will wait 10, say 10 and they might wait 20.  Also its 5 for landlords, 10 for privately owned - although social housing they don't seem to give two hoots.  Ours was due in 2008 and they didn't decide to try until the middle of the pandemic which we promptly said "I don't think so".

I'm fairly sure its in a better state today than right after it was re-wired anyway, as I found they had screwed one of the outlets earths into the sheathing - causing the surge protector to not work when we got hit by lightening.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

we india we lose, when it comes to rules and regulations, obviously 1.3billion people brings mismanagement all over, not to mention money issues, necessity >>>> other important things.

I would highly suggest to run Ethernet cable to extend the wifi range, however, I understand it is not worth the hassle most of the time.

The next best thing is purchasing Wifi Router that has Meshing capability that uses 5 GHz as backbone. Try with two router first.

Even cheap one is usually good enough, such as Xiaomi AX series routers.