Is a 1000w overkill for my first Custom Water Loop build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2Gvczf

*changed link since I forgot it was set to private*

Linked above is what I currently have either bought or own with the exception of the 7900xtx, which is just there to show realistic system wattage. I have NO CLUE how much power-draw an EK based water-loop will have. But I doubt it will be that much. Almost forgot to say that I am planning to have A LOT of rbg fans as well as rgb Cpu/GPU block.

As of right now I'm looking at the Corsair HX1000 Platinum.

Secondary question, within Corsair what the benefit up going with a HXi psu with its control software or whatever it is instead of of HX?

ur part list is private cant access it. Rule of thumb is go like 100-200 watts above so that u can have some room to upgrade in the future

Just now, swabro said:

ur part list is private cant access it. Rule of thumb is go like 100-200 watts above so that u can have some room to upgrade in the future

Sorry, current calculated wattage is 613. Will unprivate as well

Ur gen3 ssd is VERY overpriced, so if you haven’t bought it yet don’t- get a gen4 drive, maybe an SN850x or sum

amd chips are very power efficient even though the 7000 series draw more power its safe to go with a 850w psu however if u want to have some headroom 1000w is fine. Btw ur drives are kinda not well priced so look for other ones will be better

All the storage I already own and am using. Have been for atleast a year for the nvme drive. Even longer for everything else. Actually thinking of selling all of if not most of the non nvme drives with my current system when I get new pc built

9 hours ago, swabro said:

amd chips are very power efficient even though the 7000 series draw more power its safe to go with a 850w psu however if u want to have some headroom 1000w is fine. Btw ur drives are kinda not well priced so look for other ones will be better

Another good thing is you'd have room for upgrades in the future based on wattage available to use.
Also know it won't make the system use any more power than it's going to in the first place - PSU's do not cram wattage into a system, instead it's wattage rating just means it's capable of that amount of nominal wattage output if it's needed.

I'm running a 1600W with this one and it's fine, no issues to even mention about it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Another good thing is you'd have room for upgrades in the future based on wattage available to use.
Also know it won't make the system use any more power than it's going to in the first place - PSU's do not cram wattage into a system, instead it's wattage rating just means it's capable of that amount of nominal wattage output if it's needed.

I'm running a 1600W with this one and it's fine, no issues to even mention about it.

I knew that. Just wondering if going 1000w would be overkill/ save some money on a lower wattage psu

That PSU does not seem like a bad choice for your build, especially if you are going for a 7900xtx. You have to remember the pumps and fans require power output as well. If you are doing a push/pull radiator on a 360mm rad, that is 6 total fans for just a rad. 

The i versions of the Corsair PSUs just allow you to use the Corsair software. A lot of individuals have not had great success with software like this because they are often buggy. If you are currently using Corsair's software and have no issues then go for it. 

On 12/16/2022 at 12:09 PM, BadBadali said:

That PSU does not seem like a bad choice for your build, especially if you are going for a 7900xtx. You have to remember the pumps and fans require power output as well. If you are doing a push/pull radiator on a 360mm rad, that is 6 total fans for just a rad. 

The i versions of the Corsair PSUs just allow you to use the Corsair software. A lot of individuals have not had great success with software like this because they are often buggy. If you are currently using Corsair's software and have no issues then go for it. 

I don't know if I missed this before.or it just got reduced or something. But I can seemingly get an Asus ROG THOR P2 Gaming for about $50Cad less. thoughts/opinion?

9 hours ago, Gpizzle135 said:

I don't know if I missed this before.or it just got reduced or something. But I can seemingly get an Asus ROG THOR P2 Gaming for about $50Cad less. thoughts/opinion?

Is it the first or second generation model?

From the research I had done, I think Seasonic makes these models. I do know the Thor PSU has a screen on the unit. 

So you know the 7900 XTX is only 12 percent faster than the 7900 XT right? You are paying nearly double for that 12 percent boost.

I have mine on order at list price (7900 XT)

just saying...sweet spot on AMD memory is 6000 CAS 30....I would put my money on better memory with the $800 I saved on the graphic card.

4 hours ago, mdk777 said:

So you know the 7900 XTX is only 12 percent faster than the 7900 XT right? You are paying nearly double for that 12 percent boost.

I have mine on order at list price (7900 XT)

just saying...sweet spot on AMD memory is 6000 CAS 30....I would put my money on better memory with the $800 I saved on the graphic card.

The gpu is just there to get a total estimated powerdraw. I'm not actually gonna pay $2000 for a 7900xtx. As for memory, I doubt i will personally notice a difference. Also I already bought the cpu, motherboard and RAM back during black Friday deals

Well your are right that memory has almost no difference in itself...it simply affects the way the CPU can self overclock.

This stuff used to be a black art, but now the MB and AMD have automated the process to a great degree. 

There are just certain nodes that all come together, CPU OC, MEM OC, FABRIC CLOCK etc. etc.

With the last AMD generation it was 3600 memory.  2x fabric at 1800

To answer your actual question, 850 would be fine.

But 1000 is not insane overkill.

Very high wattage units tend to have poorer idle efficiency. (you end up paying for quality in a range actually higher than you run and poorer in the range that your computer sits at when you are not gaming.

Small details, but you asked if it was overkill

19 hours ago, bebejapes said:

1000w is not over powered it's actually just around a 100w head room.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_7600x_review,7.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_7900_xtx_review,6.html

All in excluding the Graphics card you are looking at 200 watts.

The 7900 XTX is a 350 watt card.

Given spikes and OC even if you call it 400 you are looking at 600 watts.

1000 watts is 400 watts of headroom and not 100.

I have no idea of how you came up with that.

Say he were to even hit 750 or 800 at the wall.

Guess what ? a quality 850 will handle that all day.

Most high quality units will handle 900 watts with ease.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-850-w/5.html

Note the line OPP 983 watts

Yeah,  unless his water cooling loop includes a 200 watts of pumps and compressors....He does not NEED a 1000 watts.

It won't hurt him, but he just does not NEED it.

You are simply wrong. 

On 12/23/2022 at 2:59 AM, mdk777 said:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_7600x_review,7.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_7900_xtx_review,6.html

All in excluding the Graphics card you are looking at 200 watts.

The 7900 XTX is a 350 watt card.

Given spikes and OC even if you call it 400 you are looking at 600 watts.

1000 watts is 400 watts of headroom and not 100.

I have no idea of how you came up with that.

Say he were to even hit 750 or 800 at the wall.

Guess what ? a quality 850 will handle that all day.

Most high quality units will handle 900 watts with ease.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/super-flower-leadex-iii-850-w/5.html

Note the line OPP 983 watts

Yeah,  unless his water cooling loop includes a 200 watts of pumps and compressors....He does not NEED a 1000 watts.

It won't hurt him, but he just does not NEED it.

You are simply wrong. 

well lets say he hits the 750 and he has a quality 850, if he were to add any other peripherals which draws power from the pc it would be extra load. if he is planning to upgrde to other parts down the line having 1000w would give him the extra space he would need. yes he doesnt need it but if he thinks long term it wouldnt be a bad idea.

10 hours ago, bebejapes said:

well lets say he hits the 750 and he has a quality 850, if he were to add any other peripherals which draws power from the pc it would be extra load. if he is planning to upgrde to other parts down the line having 1000w would give him the extra space he would need. yes he doesnt need it but if he thinks long term it wouldnt be a bad idea.

Yeah, I just think you are overestimating the wattage required for other parts. fans, water cooling, HD add tens of watts, not hundreds.

If in the future he wants a NVDA 4900 TI......well then he really needs a 1200-1600 watt. 

Future proofing is almost always a fools errand unless you already know the parts you intend to use in the future.

IE. I bought a 50 watt $100 GPU as a place holder when the GPU shortage was in full force knowing I would upgrade to a 300 watt one in the future.

But is he planning on swapping out his 1000 $ graphics card next year for a $2500 one?

If the answer is yes, then by all means go large on the PSU now.....but 1000 watts will not really get that job done.

So, don't waste your money on todays build.

Chances are you will not recycle that many items from it for any future build.

Yes, some people do....but 9 people out of ten will tell you that it never works out as they hoped.