Python learning materials

Tyranzor

Just a quick question: does anyone know good budget friendly python learning materials or tutorials/classes? 

I'm like two classes away from finishing a degree but have to build an entire truck routing system as a final project for one class and I've never touched python before. Any suggestions appreciated. 

w3schools is pretty good. Another alternative is codecademy.com, but they seem to have become very focused on making you pay for them.

If you make an account and only show the free courses, there are some good ones there. Just make sure that the whole course is free and not just parts.

For example the python for programmers course seems fine.

If you already know how to program, you can probably just look up a short explanation of the python syntax.

Another site, that I haven't personally tried would be this one sololearn.com.

Just as a dumb idea. If you really don't want to program in Python, you could always just write some c or c++ code, create a shared library from it and just load it in Python. Technically, Python works the best as an interface for precompiled packages (Tensorflow, Numpy, etc). At least if you want your code to run somewhat fast.

7 hours ago, adm0n said:

If you already know how to program, you can probably just look up a short explanation of the python syntax.

Second this.  I had to learn bits of Python to help a friend with a project (I have more experience with C++, C#, Java, JavaScript).  I just used the Python docs along with docs for the library she was instructed to use.  Another resource is RosettaCode, useful for seeing solutions done in multiple languages.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:25 AM, adm0n said:

w3schools is pretty good. Another alternative is codecademy.com, but they seem to have become very focused on making you pay for them.

If you make an account and only show the free courses, there are some good ones there. Just make sure that the whole course is free and not just parts.

For example the python for programmers course seems fine.

Another site, that I haven't personally tried would be this one sololearn.com.

Just as a dumb idea. If you really don't want to program in Python, you could always just write some c or c++ code, create a shared library from it and just load it in Python. Technically, Python works the best as an interface for precompiled packages (Tensorflow, Numpy, etc). At least if you want your code to run somewhat fast.

I do have coding experience,  primarily Java, Java script and SQL so its a little unique for me. 

Appreciate the suggestions 

6 hours ago, Tyranzor said:

I do have coding experience,  primarily Java, Java script and SQL so its a little unique for me. 

Appreciate the suggestions 

If you know JavaScript, the jump should be relatively small. You can also use GPT3 to generate some code examples for you in Python. Then just go through, to see if you understand them