How do people repurpose their CPU/GPU fans when they abandon their desktops?

The CPU fan (like Intel stock cooler) has a heatsink which makes it impractical for airflow. The GPU fan has no housing which makes mounting on other surfaces (like a box) difficult. Reusing it in an another PC and giving it away are not options. Case fans, on the other hand, have a variety of applications because of easy mounting and high airflow.

I had an Xbox360S power brick fail on me due to cooling, I just pried the power brick open slapped on the 1155 Intel cooler on with 4 zip ties. That thing ran fine for 8 years before someone killed it.

Using GPU fans is not that fun due to their current consumption. Those were not that easy to power through USB so I still have a box of GFX card fans that I keep as spare. If they are all in working order, these fans fetch a decent money.

Regular 120/140mm fans are so easy to find a use case for. You can use them for anything.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

If you don't have a use for any computer peripheral, in or near most communities there are charities that donate or make available at very low cost computers to low income families and individuals, you may want to get in contact with them to see if you can donate any of your excess items.

Take to electronic recycle. 

You can do many things with old GPU fans.  Such as a temporary replacement for another dying GPU fan or CPU fan,  You can cool a RC car CPU,  You can cool other electronics that have a weak or proprietary broken fan,  You can cool your drink by making the old heatsink as a techie coaster.  You can do a lot with a old heatsink or fan.  You just gotta look for the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...

fans and heatsinks can be used for like every other electronics project, so you should find a use before long.

With a desktop PSU and CPU heatsink with fan (plus another heatsink) you could build a (very inefficient) mini fridge with peltier modules. Lots of fun !

• 2 weeks later...

We had a fan with a broken blade in the freezer compartment of our fridge. A spare computer fan, all of it, motor and mount, fitted perfectly. A "proper" replacement part would have cost near $200.