I don't know what si wrong. New GPU or my own PC

SaddamAWP01

Hi guys, I recently purchased a Radeon 6950 XT ASUS ROG Strix OC for my PC and seems like the PC started to work a big slower than before, here I talk about windows and some games in general.

I also have in mind returning it since I have return time limit untill 31 January 2023, maybe I will get my hands on the new Radeon 7900 XT or XTX. I purchased this Radeon 6950 XT at the price of 939 Euro.

My current PC:

PSU: FSP RAIDER, 750w

Cooler CPU Deepcool Gamer Storm Lucifer K2

Procesor Intel Kaby Lake, Core i5 7600K 3.8 GHz box (Overclocked to 4.8 GHz)

Motherboard: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK

64 GB Ram Trident Z RGB 3200 mhz 16 CL

SSD ADATA Premier Pro SP550 Series 240GB SATA-III 2.5 inch

Old GPU: Inno3D GeForce GTX 1070 iChill X3 8GB GDDR5 256-bit

In games the FPS are higher, but it doesn't move so smooth, this is a bottleneck or is something else? Sometimes in normal browser when I type text in youtube for example, everything becomes laggy and the text appear after 1 second.

You're bottlenecked by your CPU.

With the old GPU, that would be used 100% under load and the CPU not. Let's just say the CPU has 30% usage on one of the cores as an example. That means it still has 70% left in that core for other tasks, such as the web browsing. Now with your 6950 XT, that core will be fully used by the game, which means the CPU doesn't have much performance left for other applications. So the only good way to fix this is upgrading the CPU. You can run with V-sync which would fix stuttering and free up the CPU, but if you have the money I would definitely upgrade the CPU to something like a 13600K.

Edited by Pixelfie

6 minutes ago, SaddamAWP01 said:

In games the FPS are higher, but it doesn't move so smooth, this is a bottleneck or is something else?

As @Pixelfiesaid, CPU bottleneck. The hitching you're seeing is the GPU sitting around waiting for your CPU to feed it data for the next frame(s), as the CPU cannot keep up. 7600K is about as fast as the average office PC these days (actually it may be even slower, 4c/8t i3s or even 6c/12t i5s are pretty common in ~$400-500 HP/Dell/etc machines now). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Should I return the GPU sooner and wait for the Radeon 7900 XT / XTX ?

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

As @Pixelfiesaid, CPU bottleneck. The hitching you're seeing is the GPU sitting around waiting for your CPU to feed it data for the next frame(s), as the CPU cannot keep up. 7600K is about as fast as the average office PC these days (actually it may be even slower, 4c/8t i3s or even 6c/12t i5s are pretty common in ~$400-500 HP/Dell/etc machines now). 

So this is why my PC work good with the GTX 1070 and with 6950 XT with like crap ?

1 minute ago, SaddamAWP01 said:

So this is why my PC work good with the GTX 1070 and with 6950 XT with like crap ?

Yeah, it could keep up much better with the 1070 than the 6950XT so you wouldn't have noticed much/any hitching. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, SaddamAWP01 said:

Should I return the GPU sooner and wait for the Radeon 7900 XT / XTX ?

You can do that, but unless you also upgrade your CPU, the issue will only get worse because you're getting an even more powerful GPU. If you do plan on upgrading the CPU, it's worth it imo, but expect it to be sold out quickly.

Because the 1070 was fully utilized, where the 6950 XT is not due to it having to wait on the CPU. 

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Yeah, it could keep up much better with the 1070 than the 6950XT so you wouldn't have noticed much/any hitching. 

With GTX 1070 in PC, there is all smooth and good, I was thinking about the Power Supply, that is only 750w and I need something like 850-1000w. 

So for me to understand, with the new GPU inside my PC, the lags come from the CPU, because it force the CPU to process more things? I am asking because when I open task manager the CPU have same % usage like before, but the windows feel laggy.

1 minute ago, SaddamAWP01 said:

So for me to understand, with the new GPU inside my PC, the lags come from the CPU, because it force the CPU to process more things? 

Basically yeah. New GPU is so fast that it outruns the information the CPU can feed it and has to wait around (which means you get inconsistent frametimes, which you see as stuttering/choking in game). 

I am asking because when I open task manager the CPU have same % usage like before, but the windows feel laggy.

What %age is that? And is Windows laggy when running games or all the time? 

Main PC 

I am in Germany right now and I have no ideea where I can find this new Radeon 7900 XT/XTX. I can buy it directly from amd.com?

2 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Basically yeah. New GPU is so fast that it outruns the information the CPU can feed it and has to wait around (which means you get inconsistent frametimes, which you see as stuttering/choking in game). 

What %age is that? And is Windows laggy when running games or all the time? 

Sometimes windows is laggy, I don't know how to explain exactly when. For example if I watch a youtube 4k video, the windows become slow 😄, but CPU usage doesn't go so high, it stay always under 30-40%

Sometimes windows is laggy, I don't know how to explain exactly when. For example if I watch a youtube 4k video, the windows become slow 😄, but CPU usage doesn't go so high, it stay always under 30-40%

Hmm, for video it should be able to use your GPU, that'd be why the CPU would stay at middling usage. Windows lagging is weird though, did you make sure to clean out your old GPU drivers before installing the new one? Always recommend rebooting into safe mode and using DDU to scrub all the old Nvidia/AMD drivers before swapping in the new GPU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Main PC 

12 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Hmm, for video it should be able to use your GPU, that'd be why the CPU would stay at middling usage. Windows lagging is weird though, did you make sure to clean out your old GPU drivers before installing the new one? Always recommend rebooting into safe mode and using DDU to scrub all the old Nvidia/AMD drivers before swapping in the new GPU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I did like this:

Turned PC off

Installed new Radeon GPU

Turned PC on

Run safe mode

Open DDU - select Nvidia and click ok

Run safe mode

Open DDU - select AMD and click ok

Enter windows normally, install AMD driver

Restart PC, install BIOS AMD GPU driver update and restart again.