4k tv RTX 3060/Ryzen 7 3700x

I’m kinda running into an issue with my setup. So it’s my first PC, ROG STRIX G15DK. It’s got an NVIDIA RTX 3060 and a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. My monitor however is really all I got. It’s a 4k OLED ThinQ 65”… obviously 4K looks amazing, but when I get into games like Tarkov or MSFS 2020… looks amazing but at about 20fps 30 on a good day. I have my CPU ratio set 41.75 and my RAM settings set as tight as I can without having much knowledge about PC’s, as well as all the performance settings set in bios. Doing this I get about 10-20 more frames and it seems my cpu is showing better performance. 
Now my big issue is the 4K tv, I’m currently setting it at 1080p as it looks clearer than 1440 for some reason. It still looks blurry and jagged like textures and words, and I still only see 30-50 FPS sometimes up to 70 at medium settings.  Is there something I’m missing with settings or anything to get max quality and performance with my set up or am I screwed because I have a 4k tv?

1 hour ago, Juanwhick814 said:

I’m kinda running into an issue with my setup. So it’s my first PC, ROG STRIX G15DK. It’s got an NVIDIA RTX 3060 and a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. My monitor however is really all I got. It’s a 4k OLED ThinQ 65”… obviously 4K looks amazing, but when I get into games like Tarkov or MSFS 2020… looks amazing but at about 20fps 30 on a good day. I have my CPU ratio set 41.75 and my RAM settings set as tight as I can without having much knowledge about PC’s, as well as all the performance settings set in bios. Doing this I get about 10-20 more frames and it seems my cpu is showing better performance. 
Now my big issue is the 4K tv, I’m currently setting it at 1080p as it looks clearer than 1440 for some reason. It still looks blurry and jagged like textures and words, and I still only see 30-50 FPS sometimes up to 70 at medium settings.  Is there something I’m missing with settings or anything to get max quality and performance with my set up or am I screwed because I have a 4k tv?

That clearer thing sounds right.  4k is really good at 1080p because it’s exactly 4 to 1,  so there’s no interpolation.  Tarkov is probably  on 1080p, so it’s the cleanest visual of the asset.  Tarkov has a rep for hating AMD stuff.  I don’t know what that entails though.  A 3060 isn’t super powerful either 3060->2070->1080. So the thing is about as powerful as a 5700.  I don’t know what sort of frames per sec.  you would normally be getting with a 3060@1080p but that doesn’t sound too too far off.  I may be totally wrong about that. Tarkov isn’t done like other first person shooter games, it was never built for consoles, It has a smaller dev team, it’s Russian, and it’s quite old.  It very possibly doesn’t multithread for beans, which is the strength of the 3700.  That thing has lots of cores, but it’s single thread is nothing to write home about.  Remember, 9th gen intel was beating it in single thread. It would lose in single thread and win in multicore. You could get an 8 core ryzen for the same price as a 6 core intel.  It took a 12 core ryzen to compete with an 8 core intel.  Intel didn’t even have 12 core consumer chips. It was zen3 when AMD pumped their single thread up to competitive levels. This combo sounds weird to me.  That monitor cost more than the entire machine.  You’re playing on a prebuilt.  I always assumed that ROG prebuilts weren’t really OEM prebuilts in exactly the same way because while they were all ROG parts they were basically whitebox parts.  I don’t know that for sure though. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:35 PM, Bombastinator said:

That clearer thing sounds right.  4k is really good at 1080p because it’s exactly 4 to 1,  so there’s no interpolation.  Tarkov is probably  on 1080p, so it’s the cleanest visual of the asset.  Tarkov has a rep for hating AMD stuff.  I don’t know what that entails though.  A 3060 isn’t super powerful either 3060->2070->1080. So the thing is about as powerful as a 5700.  I don’t know what sort of frames per sec.  you would normally be getting with a 3060@1080p but that doesn’t sound too too far off.  I may be totally wrong about that. Tarkov isn’t done like other first person shooter games, it was never built for consoles, It has a smaller dev team, it’s Russian, and it’s quite old.  It very possibly doesn’t multithread for beans, which is the strength of the 3700.  That thing has lots of cores, but it’s single thread is nothing to write home about.  Remember, 9th gen intel was beating it in single thread. It would lose in single thread and win in multicore. You could get an 8 core ryzen for the same price as a 6 core intel.  It took a 12 core ryzen to compete with an 8 core intel.  Intel didn’t even have 12 core consumer chips. It was zen3 when AMD pumped their single thread up to competitive levels. This combo sounds weird to me.  That monitor cost more than the entire machine.  You’re playing on a prebuilt.  I always assumed that ROG prebuilts weren’t really OEM prebuilts in exactly the same way because while they were all ROG parts they were basically whitebox parts.  I don’t know that for sure though. 

Yea my combination is weird. I feel like it’s really CPU bottlenecks in a lot of games. Like you said tarkov with AMD, I genuinely have to use process lasso to even make it playable at 4k and turn off hyperthreading. I use to run Xbox and then decided I wanted a pc, as no parts were available I got a prebuilt from Best Buy. It’s decent but I just feel like the 3060 and 3700x don’t really pair to well. I’d definitely like to upgrade but I’m not really sure what my options would be. I’d like to go with a 3080 or 3090 and a ryzen 9 or the i9. But again I know really nothing on PCs but I really want to get the best quality in my games as well as performance. I’ve even seen the 3060 ti do better in 4K. Obviously it would be nice to have a 4080 but my pockets arnt that deep haha. 

1 hour ago, Juanwhick814 said:

Yea my combination is weird. I feel like it’s really CPU bottlenecks in a lot of games. Like you said tarkov with AMD, I genuinely have to use process lasso to even make it playable at 4k and turn off hyperthreading. I use to run Xbox and then decided I wanted a pc, as no parts were available I got a prebuilt from Best Buy. It’s decent but I just feel like the 3060 and 3700x don’t really pair to well. I’d definitely like to upgrade but I’m not really sure what my options would be. I’d like to go with a 3080 or 3090 and a ryzen 9 or the i9. But again I know really nothing on PCs but I really want to get the best quality in my games as well as performance. I’ve even seen the 3060 ti do better in 4K. Obviously it would be nice to have a 4080 but my pockets arnt that deep haha. 

They pair OK, it’s the 3060 & 4k3d that is a mismatch.  CPUs don’t care about Rez.  The 3700’s single thread isn’t much better than the 3600’s though.  A bit, but not anything like a 5600.  It sounds like it’s a cpu issue more than a gpu issue.  What about used?  Also do you need to have Nvidia for any reason? (CUDA, studio drivers, compatibility with some CAD program etc..)  a new 5600 and a new 3700 are about the same price, so I assume the same is true for used.  You could basically turn the 3700 into a 5600 if you wanted to.  As for video cards given the size of that monitor, the smallest I would even maybe dare go is a 6700xt.  Maybe more.  The used market is a totally different animal than it used to be last year.  I picked up an xfx 6800xt for a bit over $500 and I understand it’s not even worth that now…..  oh wow! They weren’t kidding! I’m seeing low end 6800xts for $300! And a 6900xt for $340!  That thing is as fast as a 3080. If I didn’t already have more video card than I need (I’m also running a 4k monitor but I’ve got beer tastes for visual complexity and refresh rate) I’d snap that bad boy up.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

They pair OK, it’s the 3060 & 4k3d that is a mismatch.  CPUs don’t care about Rez.  The 3700’s single thread isn’t much better than the 3600’s though.  A bit, but not anything like a 5600.  It sounds like it’s a cpu issue more than a gpu issue.  What about used?  Also do you need to have Nvidia for any reason? (CUDA, studio drivers, compatibility with some CAD program etc..)  a new 5600 and a new 3700 are about the same price, so I assume the same is true for used.  You could basically turn the 3700 into a 5600 if you wanted to.  As for video cards given the size of that monitor, the smallest I would even maybe dare go is a 6700xt.  Maybe more.  The used market is a totally different animal than it used to be last year.  I picked up an xfx 6800xt for a bit over $500 and I understand it’s not even worth that now…..  oh wow! They weren’t kidding! I’m seeing low end 6800xts for $300! And a 6900xt for $340!  That thing is as fast as a 3080. If I didn’t already have more video card than I need (I’m also running a 4k monitor but I’ve got beer tastes for visual complexity and refresh rate) I’d snap that bad boy up.

I don’t think i necessarily “need” NVIDIA, but it’s what I’m use to and know how to get around the settings. I mean if I can get something better for a lower price that’s cool. I was honestly thinking of selling the 3060 12GB and using the money towards a 3070 ti or 3080. I honestly want something that will not need replaced (updated) for a little while and like I said 40 series is out of the question lol. And somehow the 3090 is more than the price of the 40 series, at least on Best Buy…. As for CPU I have no clue if they are re-sellable? I figured those are more important to not buy used. But if I can also make a turn around with that, that would be cool too. It’s the mother board that I really have no clue what its limit is when it comes to upgrades. All I upgraded so far was the RAM from a single generic 16GB to 2 Corsair 32GB/3600mhz and that helped a lot honestly. Got rid of stutters and gained some frames after doing some tweaking in bios. 

11 hours ago, Juanwhick814 said:

I don’t think i necessarily “need” NVIDIA, but it’s what I’m use to and know how to get around the settings. I mean if I can get something better for a lower price that’s cool. I was honestly thinking of selling the 3060 12GB and using the money towards a 3070 ti or 3080. I honestly want something that will not need replaced (updated) for a little while and like I said 40 series is out of the question lol. And somehow the 3090 is more than the price of the 40 series, at least on Best Buy…. As for CPU I have no clue if they are re-sellable? I figured those are more important to not buy used. But if I can also make a turn around with that, that would be cool too. It’s the mother board that I really have no clue what its limit is when it comes to upgrades. All I upgraded so far was the RAM from a single generic 16GB to 2 Corsair 32GB/3600mhz and that helped a lot honestly. Got rid of stutters and gained some frames after doing some tweaking in bios. 

Used 3080 10 gigs are about the same price as 6900xts atm, so either way.  It’s the new ones where they cost more