Random wake-ups

ShakataGaNai
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

Is your mouse and mouse pad clean?  An earthquake, even a really minor one, like a truck passing by outside may cause the mouse (or the schmoo in the path of the laser) to move.  Workaround would be turning your mouse upside down when you leave the computer.

wake on lan is default off.  Is yours on?

My desktop (custom built, Windows 10 Pro) has long since suffered from random wakeups. I would put it to sleep and it would wake itself up, sometimes seconds later, sometimes hours later. Now the machine had some funky software issues so I simply assumed it was related to that, until just a month ago. I upgraded/replaced just about everything except the power supply, motherboard and GPU (Currently: i7-12700k, 32GB RAM, 2TB NVME, RTX 2070). During this rebuild I decided to get rid of the odd software issues I had and installed a fresh clean copy of Windows 11 Pro.

It's still powering itself up at random from sleep. So I went one step further and enabled hibernate. Except it boots itself up from that too. I've watched it go into hibernate shutdown process, power off... then not more than seconds later - click back on and boot up again. Typically if I catch it at this point in time and hit the power button when in BIOS, it goes off and stays off. If it doesn't immediately power back on after hibernate... I almost always find it powered on in the morning.

Any thoughts as to how to trace down the culprit?

Is your mouse and mouse pad clean?  An earthquake, even a really minor one, like a truck passing by outside may cause the mouse (or the schmoo in the path of the laser) to move.  Workaround would be turning your mouse upside down when you leave the computer.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

sleep is a god awful broken feature, especially on a custom desktop the chance of just one driver being wonky in one way is just so high.. that it just fucks up and randomly wakes.

my guess would be that wake on lan and/or wake from pcie is enabled, and it's wrongly detecting magic packets on lan.

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

On my old setup, I would flip the mouse over to make sure it wasn't that. Bumping the desk could wake it up. However with it waking up from hibernate, I know it's not the mouse.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

sleep is a god awful broken feature, especially on a custom desktop the chance of just one driver being wonky in one way is just so high.. that it just fucks up and randomly wakes.

my guess would be that wake on lan and/or wake from pcie is enabled, and it's wrongly detecting magic packets on lan.

Wake On LAN is an interesting direction to go. I hadn't thought about that. Windows 11 apparently has WOL (or "Wake On Magic Packet" as they call it) turned on by default. I've disabled that and we'll see how it goes. I checked the BIOS as well but I cannot find any WOL settings.

39 minutes ago, ShakataGaNai said:

Wake On LAN is an interesting direction to go. I hadn't thought about that. Windows 11 apparently has WOL (or "Wake On Magic Packet" as they call it) turned on by default. I've disabled that and we'll see how it goes. I checked the BIOS as well but I cannot find any WOL settings.

you might have to find wake from PCI(e) devices in the bios. that essentially determines if the network chipset is awake or not, which if that's the issue, will resolve it.

honestly,  i kind of fixed it, but its annoying... 

if you'd check i bet its update orchestrator waking it up... and even if it isn't,  so you fix that *then* it'll be update orchestrator doing it (almost 100% guaranteed) 

so what is even the point,  why do you need sleep or fake sleep (called hibernation)  it takes a modern computer 20 sec tops to boot into windows...

Easy choice,  if you ask me!

edit: just to be clear, this is both on on my pc, but even with it off it would wake up (randomly at 5am just for "funsies")

1 hour ago, ShakataGaNai said:

Wake On LAN is an interesting direction

1 hour ago, ShakataGaNai said:

hibernate

what really stopped it was killing the actual offender, he doesn't exist anymore,  i am the owner of my own pc now = )

its actually really simple to figure out too:

powercfg –lastwake 

u gotta keep doing that until you eliminated all offenders (or just start using your pc normally,  up to you) good luck : D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, ShakataGaNai said:

On my old setup, I would flip the mouse over to make sure it wasn't that. Bumping the desk could wake it up. However with it waking up from hibernate, I know it's not the mouse.

WOL is ancient.  May be as old as microcomputers or even older.  Pretty much everything deployable to an office has it.  It was in win10. I would be astounded if it isn’t in win11.  I don’t know where it is though.  I just use the command line for that stuff.  Might not be in “home” along with “why would any private user possibly have a need for a VM?!” 

*is a private user.   Needs to set up 4 of them*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I just wanted to check in and say thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I disabled WOL (Win 11 magic packets setting, nothing in my BIOS) more than a week ago and haven't had a random wake-up since.

Now I gotta figure out what in the heck is sending wakeups around my LAN, but at least a a year long issue has been solved!

52 minutes ago, ShakataGaNai said:

I just wanted to check in and say thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I disabled WOL (Win 11 magic packets setting, nothing in my BIOS) more than a week ago and haven't had a random wake-up since.

Now I gotta figure out what in the heck is sending wakeups around my LAN, but at least a a year long issue has been solved!

I’m kinda curious at this point who is sending WOL packets to your ip and why.  Maybe run a generic malware scan.  That Microsoft put WOL as default on is crazy.  I’m wondering if something got into your system and turned it on if you didn’t.

Edited by Bombastinator