XMP Causing GPU driver crash

triQz

Recently I have encountered weird error after GPU upgrade where my drivers would constantly crash when playing games. I have talked with Microsoft, EA and Nvidia support and none of them were able to fix the issue.
So I tried lowering RAM speed from 3600 to 3000 and I no longer get driver crashes.
How can this be connected? Seems weird to me
specs: 3060ti, 16gb 3600 kingston fury, i5 12400f and MSI B660A Pro

The memory controller on the 12400F is pretty terrible. My guess is if at 3600MT/s you were to run a memory controller stress test like Y cruncher VST, it would fail nearly instantly. Only some good chips are able to do 3600MT/s reliably, and my guess is yours is just good enough that 3600MT/s can boot, but not good enough that 3600MT/s is stable. 3466MT/s should be fully stable though. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The memory controller on the 12400F is pretty terrible. My guess is if at 3600MT/s you were to run a memory controller stress test like Y cruncher VST, it would fail nearly instantly. Only some good chips are able to do 3600MT/s reliably, and my guess is yours is just good enough that 3600MT/s can boot, but not good enough that 3600MT/s is stable. 3466MT/s should be fully stable though. 

But I had it on 3600 for like 4 months, ever since I upgraded 1050ti to 3060ti it started crashing. Idk how can gpu be connected to all this

ryzens cpus are finicky with ram , thats how this happens,  basically not fully compatible .

either get a known better kit, or keep it at 3000.

On 12/3/2022 at 9:40 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

Only some good chips are able to do 3600MT/s reliably,

isn't it also the ram though?  on my 3600 i couldn't run the hynix sticks at all above whats on the box (3200) yet the samsungs i got then (also 3200)  had no issues with 3600 whatsoever (i didn't even raise the voltage) 

so my thinking is either better ram or ... well, more voltage?  but I'm not sure what's the limit for OPs ram and cpu... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

isn't it also the ram though?  on my 3600 i couldn't run the hynix sticks at all above whats on the box (3200) yet the samsungs i got then (also 3200)  had no issues with 3600 whatsoever (i didn't even raise the voltage) 

That's RAM overclocking though, not what OP is referring to. Sticks aren't guaranteed to go above what's on the XMP (in that case 3200), so while some might, some might not. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

so my thinking is either better ram or ... well, more voltage?  but I'm not sure what's the limit for OPs ram and cpu... 

The voltages that matter (VCCSA mainly) for getting 3600MT/s to work are locked to below 1V on a 12400F (on past Intel chips and unlocked 12th gen chips you want to run VCCSA at 1.2-1.4V for higher frequencies than 3200MT/s), so high frequency is very hit or miss on those chips

What I'm suspecting is happening for OP's scenario is that the memory controller is slightly unstable at 3600MT/s. With the old 1050 Ti, not much load was ever put on the memory system, so the instability never showed up. With the new 3060 Ti, the memory is being hit more, so it's more likely to crash. That can be validated by just running a memory controller stress test like Y Cruncher VST. 

On 12/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, triQz said:

Recently I have encountered weird error after GPU upgrade where my drivers would constantly crash when playing games. I have talked with Microsoft, EA and Nvidia support and none of them were able to fix the issue.
So I tried lowering RAM speed from 3600 to 3000 and I no longer get driver crashes.
How can this be connected? Seems weird to me
specs: 3060ti, 16gb 3600 kingston fury, i5 12400f and MSI B660A Pro

Is the motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

8 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Is the motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

nop, will update and try on 3600 again