replacement suggestions

Tydfil

hi all. i just got a 2Gbs line put in and the provided EchoLife HG8045Q is utter tonk. what is a viable replacement? or should i just get an additional router/mesh thing and just plug it into that and hope for the best? finding something that has a fiber optic connection port in it seems quite difficult.

cheers.

6 hours ago, Tydfil said:

finding something that has a fiber optic connection port in it seems quite difficult.

Unlike DSL and Cable modems I dont think ONTs are readily available for consumers to purchase. Your best option might be to look to see if that box support bridge or pass thru mode and connect your own router to it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Tydfil said:

i just got a 2Gbs line put in and the provided EchoLife HG8045Q is utter tonk.

What does this mean?

First of all, is the 2Gbps speed guaranteed as per your contract with the ISP? Or is it an "up to" kind of thing? If it's the latter, then you're not going to see those speeds all the time.

Secondly, at those kind of speeds, I'd expect the ISP to provide a device that can handle WAN-to-LAN transfers at that speed via ethernet. If you've run speed tests while directly wired into the HG8045Q and can't achieve close to 1Gbps transfers, then that's a problem you need to address with the ISP directly.

Thirdly, the HG8045Q seems to have 4x 1GbE ports no matter which variant you get. As a result, you can never theoretically achieve more than 1Gbps per ethernet link. However, you can possibly achieve an aggregate throughput of 2Gbps if you have several devices simultaneously active over ethernet. The limits on WiFi are a little higher with 450Mbps on 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps on 5GHz (AC), but that's generally under the best conditions.

There is more freedom to replace cable modems if that's the connection you have, but when it comes to fiber, ONT replacement isn't always possible. That's because ONTs tend to carry some network-specific information that validates you as a legitimate customer on the network. It's not easy to mimic these identifiers on another ONT you purchase separately. If you want to run your own ONT, I recommend you speak directly to your ISP to see if they have an upgrade with support for multi-gig ethernet speeds, or can guide you as to what the alternatives are.

In my view, you can ask for a media converter termination and you put your own router/AP behind that. This router/AP will need to have at least a 2.5GbE WAN port and support whatever validation protocols the ISP requires. However, there is no point in going down this road if they won't provide the media converter termination in the first place.

Finally, you can freely go ahead and attach your own router behind the HG8045Q, but you'll run into double-NAT if bridge mode or IP passthrough isn't supported, and you'll still be limited to 1Gbps over the single ethernet uplink as per my third point above.

18 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

If you want to run your own ONT, I recommend you speak directly to your ISP to see if they have an upgrade with support for multi-gig ethernet speeds, or can guide you as to what the alternatives are.

This is what to do first.

• 4 weeks later...

its  2Gbs into the house via fiber cable. im thinking of going down the extender route with one of them through the electric cable devices and seeing if that works.