Making a Choice

K3KO422
Go to solution Solved by TylerD321,

I have the 14 pro now and previously had the 13 (non pro). Both phones are great from what I have experienced. I originally started out with android phones. From what I have seen, pretty much anything that uses the front camera (like Snapchat) works much better on iPhone than android. The iPhone also has great accessibility features if you need them along with good app support. For both phones, I would normally only have to charge the phone once and then it was good to go for the whole day, sometimes I went several days without charging.

People quick question, summary, I have always had an android phone, since a few years ago since the iPhone 11 came out I have wanted to try the iOS system, and now my dilemma is with the release of the iphone 14, I have seen many comments that if you have an Iphone 13, it is not worth switching to the 14, but I have never heard anyone say it is a good option for someone who does not have an iphone before? My question is the iphone 14 (not pro) a good choice as a first iphone? The difference between the 13 and 14 is $100 and money is not an issue, but I don't have enough to go for a 14pro either

I have the 14 pro now and previously had the 13 (non pro). Both phones are great from what I have experienced. I originally started out with android phones. From what I have seen, pretty much anything that uses the front camera (like Snapchat) works much better on iPhone than android. The iPhone also has great accessibility features if you need them along with good app support. For both phones, I would normally only have to charge the phone once and then it was good to go for the whole day, sometimes I went several days without charging.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve had the 13 and 14 pro, the 13 didn’t feel good in my hand, sharp is the word my brain returned when asked for its opinion, but if you’re going to get a case that shouldn’t be an issue 

I don't own an iphone, but used one here and there around family.

It's perfectly clear to me that the software quality of iOS is VASTLY superior to the work that Google puts out.  They don't have an ecosystem as Apple does, and Apple has software engineers and developers since Mac OS X and all the experience to make it work well.

Then Google tried making an operating system.  Well it operates, that's for sure.  Android however is much more customizable so you'll be giving up that ability from the start.

On iOS, with battery-saving settings like stopping at 80% when charging, to not booting up until 15% (which can be annoying but it is for the best) and the fact that the Safari Web browser uses WebKit instead of Google's chrome "blink" engine, to the integration of device backup, remote wipe, find my device and all the rest.

Apple takes the whole apple tree.  It's just better and I'll NEVER say that it isn't, no matter how much I like the openess, customizability of android, android just can't compete on this level of features.

To do a full device backup you have to root the phone!  Google doesn't have the software expertise of Apple and everyone can see it.

With all that said, I recommend a DNS filter like pi-hole, just to turn down the network use, until you need to load things like app store search, updates, or other apple related things.

It's not as spammy as Google's crap, but there's still a good bit of stuff that I believe doesn't need 24/7 network access.

I've mentioned it before and I'm going to keep on mentioning Pi-hole, a program (native for linux and docker, but I don't know how to use docker) that bkocks any website name of your choosing.

You can also set only specific devices, to only block specific, custom groups or "ad lists" of websites.

I just block it all but for example you could have your Roku TV have a custom "adlist" just a text file with your choice of websites / domains full of everything related to Netflix.

There's about 10+ domains that would load on my TV every bootup, just for netflix regardless if I click on the app.

So you could toggle on and off this netflix adlist that contains all the netflix stuff and when you need it, let it through.

Same goes for all the iTunes, app store and whatever else you're not using all the time.  Then set the iphone DNS server to the numerical IP address of the computer that is running a virtual machine of Debian Linux with Pi-Hole installed on it.  My PC says it only take about 140MB ram once loaded.  So you don't need a "fast" computer whatsoever--see my computer details below, yes I run my PC like this daily now, and it works fine, with a solid state drive for Windows.

If I had an old spinning hard disk for Windows, I would speed it up a bit, but it doesn't need it.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.