Network Switch Question

JMaxcey

Hey all, I'm running an ESports program through a school and wanting to add to the number of systems we have connected on the network. It is possible to take the LAN cable from the wall and hook up one of those 8 port network switches and they all work about the same without doing anything to the original network switch? I would expect some latency added but otherwise would there be anything that I would need to worry about?

It won't' add any significant latency, less than 1ms.

But assuming it's regular DHCP networking and nothing strange, yes, it'll work fine.

It should work fine. I would suggest making sure it is okay from your school's networking team. I don't expect them to have the most locked down network, but, I can be wrong, they can probably trace an unmanaged switch and can probably cut the connection if they aren't aware of what is going on. Unless that port is already closed/shut and they left it open. 

I honestly dont think a college IT dept will care if you throw a switch in their dorm room. Only way they would detect is if they did a MAC lookup.

Assuming you are in the US, most colleges are good with you using an unmanaged switch to hook up more devices on lan. My college preferred things to be on Ethernet as it reduced the load on the wifi. Just make sure it has no managment functions, as most schools have rules against hooking a wifi router up to the school network, and a managed switch and wifi router look a lot alike from the other end of the wire. Also, if you need more ports, just add another 8 port unmanaged switch