I need someone to convince me not to buy this broken RX 6800xt for $200

Lukiyano

Hello. I'm a poor little gamer boy from the cursed Slav lands.
I found an online listing from my local "ebay" so to speak.
This is a rough translation of what the seller has said:

It does not pass program tests (I assume they're talking about benchmark software or possibly diagnostic?)

It displays a picture, boots the system, installs drivers, works normally for watching YouTube, internet, etc., as soon as a game or some test, maybe something demanding starts, it restarts the computer.

Repair has not been attempted nor am I interested in it, 1 fan has been sold. . .

At first it occurred to me that the PSU might be faulty, but after contacting the seller, they claim that it was tested on five different rigs. Whether or not all those rigs used the same PSU is still unclear.

Since this card goes for well over a thousand dollars where I'm from, the opportunity to repair this is incredibly tempting, however I have 0 experience with GPU repairs.

I found a local firm that does repairs via Reflow, Reballing and Chip replacements. But I'm not sure what the odds are those can help (I have contacted them already, they have some theories on what it could be but they can't know for certain until they get their hands on it). My best case scenario hope is that it's a bent pin or faulty cables, something that's quick an inexpensive to fix. Finding a replacement for that fan would also be tricky.

Fixing this thing up would be a dream come true for me, and I feel incredible temptation to buy this. 

The person selling it has a perfect reputation score on the site, and that score has never led me astray after almost a decade of use. I am convincing myself that this is just a lazy dude who doesn't want to bother fixing his GPU.
I've attached a couple of pics from his ad. The card looks like it's in decent condition minus the fan, but I'm more worried about the fact that GPU-Z isn't displaying Clock speeds. Is this because it isn't under load at the moment? I found another screenshot of GPU-Z for the same card and there were some discrepancies.

Please help. Either tell me I'm a wishful fool or that this might actually be worth the gamble. 

hllw0gaxaw2a1.webp

b36bfhaxaw2a1.webp

vs0g5haxaw2a1.webp

This gpu was dropped. There are dents and scuffes to show that.

This card has physical damage and is in use by someone that seems to know what they are doing.

I am basically sure it is dead.

It not displaying clockspeeds in gpu-z for a 6800xt is not normal.

Also this thing has been fully disassembled. Taking that fan out is a lot of work.

Do it for the lulz. 

If you want to spend effectively, go lower spec that is functional. 

Be it used or new, you get the support and confidence you pay for. 

Not even a 6800XT. Spot the difference.

gpuz-overclocking.gif

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I am basically sure it is dead.

^^^ If it's priced like a completely dead, worthless card, and you want to fiddle with it (and have the disposable income to do so) then it's worth it. But don't pay any decent price for something that only might work. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Not even a 6800XT. Spot the difference.

gpuz-overclocking.gif

Was legit mocking up a screenshot with 2 differences as things didnt add up one bit.

Just now, jaslion said:

Was legit mocking up a screenshot with 2 differences as things didnt add up one bit.

Yeah either it's a bios modded card (unlikely) or shit attempt to fake a GPUZ screenshot. Either this thing stinks more than human poop, I would stay away.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

12 minutes ago, Tomberry said:

the missing fan cant be a good thing. if they are capable enough to take of the fan they have probbably tried everything you could do to fix it

The seller is from a smaller town that doesn't have easy access to a service shop that offers GPU repairs. I believe that might play a role as to their unwillingness to bother any further, but I may just be gaslighting myself. 

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

Yeah either it's a bios modded card (unlikely) or shit attempt to fake a GPUZ screenshot. Either this thing stinks more than human poop, I would stay away.

Is there no other possible explanation to the GPU-Z discrepancies? Because this is definitely the biggest red flag right now.

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Im betting its the gpu on the psu there.

9 minutes ago, Lukiyano said:

Is there no other possible explanation to the GPU-Z discrepancies? Because this is definitely the biggest red flag right now.

Navi 21 with 26.8million transistors doesnt exist. That is the original leaked specs. Yet a older version of gpu z has the correct info.

Thanks everyone. You've calmed me down. I think I'm gonna steer clear.