M1000e Help

G3R489
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

I hope you have a temperature controlled, air filtered and noise dampened to hell room because otherwise you are going to be in a world of pain and suffering.

What even is the goal of this pc? As these are normallt purpose built as thats how they were designed. So before you set out on a quest to get blades you need to know EXACTLY what you need.

1. Dell m620s are xeon v1 and v2 2600 series only. There are no compatible xron v3 8000 blades

2. Yes to a point

3. These are redundant and youll need a minimum operational for function

4. You have entered the wild wild wild wild wild west here this stuff is basically unobtainium usually

I really hope you had a plan for this other than it was cheap so I got it 😛

So having a spot of bother specking out my M1000e and was wondering if there may anyone who can help

a. The M620 blades say they can fit FCLGA2011, so would they be compatible with E7-8880v3’s which Intel say are also FCLGA2011, or is that not possible

b. Is the server compatible with multiple types of blades at once, e.g. 4xM620’s, 2xM610’s, 1xM820 & 1x M910

c. If anyone knows, roughly how efficient are the 2360w PSU’s, as honestly don’t think I need all 6 (nor can I supply that much)

d. Is there any good videos you would recommend for how the remote management tools work

e. Any recommendations for blades that can fit a Grid K1 or K2 in? As would love to work with some

Irrelevant information: I have never worked on a blade server before, I only bought it because it was cheap. Picked it up with every card, switch, PSU and extra in the back for £100, all working, then when the 2 pallets arrived realised what I got myself into.

Any help is appreciated as I’m out of my depth  XD

image.thumb.jpg.811bc072611779b2a69997262cc038a3.jpg

I hope you have a temperature controlled, air filtered and noise dampened to hell room because otherwise you are going to be in a world of pain and suffering.

What even is the goal of this pc? As these are normallt purpose built as thats how they were designed. So before you set out on a quest to get blades you need to know EXACTLY what you need.

1. Dell m620s are xeon v1 and v2 2600 series only. There are no compatible xron v3 8000 blades

2. Yes to a point

3. These are redundant and youll need a minimum operational for function

4. You have entered the wild wild wild wild wild west here this stuff is basically unobtainium usually

I really hope you had a plan for this other than it was cheap so I got it 😛

Small update there are 6 reddit users that got these in the pas 3 years. 2 gave up, 1 vanished, 2 shut the project down due to heat, noise, energy and performance and 1 seems to still be runnjng it as a homelab as from 2021 but in a very stripped down state.

Keep in mind the thing without blades also consumes about 300w its not meant to be efficient but to be reliable so you better have some deep pockets and/or solar and cheap energy.

Also means lots of heat. Its basically like running a space heater 😛. Only it also causes permanent hearing damage.

Well I’m afraid there’s none of that, I’m not joking when I say I sleep with 4 fully functioning quad opteron based servers under my bed that when running make over 100db easily I don’t doubt.

However I will add, these are personal use, so when I’m not using them, they go off to save my sanity.

And I’m afraid the goal is to learn how these things work, same as with every other orphan creation I make, for example the toaster pc in my profile pic. 

Ideally I would like to integrate it into my home network as a Beyerwolf cluster and just for shared render stuff, but nothing serious really.  The goal for the end of 2023 is to make a program using RedHat to intergrate a fast multi platform system solution into an easy to control ui

The M620 is out the window then and I’ll just keep waiting up on the M910 blades, just a nightmare to find.

And yeah that would make sense why they did, as they are units and allot of people don’t have the space, time or money for them. But again don’t think I’m gonna run it constantly.

No solar but got decent enough pockets to power as and when, however even if it’s bad I’m not here allot so when I am I turn all the units on.    Also heat wise I’m used to the room running 34C+ so it’s not that awful, but dust wise it’s going to be a constant struggle

Honestly, Thank you for the help, but more importantly the warning, to say buyers remorse is hitting is an understatement, but I’m gonna make it go where I can

Also to prove about the noise an power thing, this is a load being applied to the opterons.

Also yea they are on carpet, but I only buy these things when they are gonna be sent to a scrap heap or melted down anyway. So if they live they live. 

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Small update there are 6 reddit users that got these in the pas 3 years. 2 gave up, 1 vanished, 2 shut the project down due to heat, noise, energy and performance and 1 seems to still be runnjng it as a homelab as from 2021 but in a very stripped down state.

Keep in mind the thing without blades also consumes about 300w its not meant to be efficient but to be reliable so you better have some deep pockets and/or solar and cheap energy.

Also means lots of heat. Its basically like running a space heater 😛

Oh sorry forgot to tag you in it or whatever you call it on here, posted the horrors of my tiny cluster under the bed

Got a  with a normal R910 with a toolbox ontop too 

15 minutes ago, G3R489 said:

Well I’m afraid there’s none of that, I’m not joking when I say I sleep with 4 fully functioning quad opteron based servers under my bed that when running make over 100db easily I don’t doubt.

However I will add, these are personal use, so when I’m not using them, they go off to save my sanity.

And I’m afraid the goal is to learn how these things work, same as with every other orphan creation I make, for example the toaster pc in my profile pic. 

Ideally I would like to integrate it into my home network as a Beyerwolf cluster and just for shared render stuff, but nothing serious really.  The goal for the end of 2023 is to make a program using RedHat to intergrate a fast multi platform system solution into an easy to control ui

The M620 is out the window then and I’ll just keep waiting up on the M910 blades, just a nightmare to find.

And yeah that would make sense why they did, as they are units and allot of people don’t have the space, time or money for them. But again don’t think I’m gonna run it constantly.

No solar but got decent enough pockets to power as and when, however even if it’s bad I’m not here allot so when I am I turn all the units on.    Also heat wise I’m used to the room running 34C+ so it’s not that awful, but dust wise it’s going to be a constant struggle

Honestly, Thank you for the help, but more importantly the warning, to say buyers remorse is hitting is an understatement, but I’m gonna make it go where I can

Honestly id back out as if this m1000e fails the blades are literally for the bin.

Id opt for some more normal standalone blades as appearantly this thing can do a 2000w+ bootup spike and blow breakers I just found out.

So yeah not great. I mean worst case you got a dope coffee table/drawer piece of furniture

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Honestly id back out as if this m1000e fails the blades are literally for the bin.

Id opt for some more normal standalone blades as appearantly this thing can do a 2000w+ bootup spike and blow breakers I just found out.

So yeah not great. I mean worst case you got a dope coffee table/drawer piece of furniture

You know what, I think I’ll take your advice on that and hold off for a little bit, as that sounds lethal without an actual protected trip switch for it  

Think I’ll stick to 1 or 2 duff £30 cheap nodes off eBay then for the mean time and not put anything too powerful in it, then if it explodes I’m not crying.

Thank you for that as you may have single handedly saved me hundreds there.

This was never meant to be too major, i buy these like a normal person would buy project cars. I learn how to work on them, get them going, then either sell them or have fun with them and run them until they die again.

4 minutes ago, G3R489 said:

You know what, I think I’ll take your advice on that and hold off for a little bit, as that sounds lethal without an actual protected trip switch for it  

Think I’ll stick to 1 or 2 duff £30 cheap nodes off eBay then for the mean time and not put anything too powerful in it, then if it explodes I’m not crying.

Thank you for that as you may have single handedly saved me hundreds there.

This was never meant to be too major, i buy these like a normal person would buy project cars. I learn how to work on them, get them going, then either sell them or have fun with them and run them until they die again.

Also make sure you have the proper cabling for it because its an iec c20 and those come for different loads. This one needs to be heavy duty or it will well melt.

40 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Also make sure you have the proper cabling for it because its an iec c20 and those come for different loads. This one needs to be heavy duty or it will well melt.

Perfect, I’ll keep that in mind, 

Thank you again, you’ve been amazing for the help with this 

Pillage the blades and put their best parts into an R720 chassis. Then recycle or sell the rest. You really don't want that thing running anywhere you'll hear it.

The PowerEdge VRTX chassis can sort of take the same blades as the M1000, and it's designed to run in a branch office where people work, but I think they need some minor change, like adding a PCIe mezzanine card.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.