Comparing CPU Stresstests for stability?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

so if i dont want to uses the extremest of test xtu with avx (not avx2 ?) and maybe occt linpack 2019 will be enough ?

Yeah that should be fine. That's about how my systems have been stability tested for the past while. 

5 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

also how long should i test 10min? 1h? or even more ?

I'd want at least an hour. More than that is to your discretion, usually I set it to run indefinitely until I finish doing something else (sometimes an hour, sometimes 4, sometimes 8+ if its late and I want to sleep). I've never had something that runs for an hour fail to run for 4+, but it can theoretically happen. 

16 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

also is linpack extreme the same as occt linpack or are they different ? linpack name confuses me there

They are technically different, OCCT Linpack did a few minor tweaks to it IIRC, but practically speaking they're the same test with a different UI. I'd only run one or the other, not both. 

Well i am a little confused.

Some recommend prime other linpack others swear on occt but almost nobody i look up exactly writes with setting they use.

so i want to know which of these test are the heaviest and best for what reason and how long should i run one of these test for stability.

something like a overview.

i mainly looking at these test :

prime95 small fft                                                                                     ( extremly hard on everything so i quit it )

xtu cpu stress test                                                                                  (all xtu test doesnt seam as hard as the other options)

xtu cpu stress test with avx or avx2                                                        -

occt "cpu index tab" small           auto or avx/avx2 mode normal          ( also extremly hard on thermals and power draw so i also quit it beforhand )

occt "cpu index tab" big               auto or avx/avx2 mode normal          (harder then some other options but much more easly then occt small and/or prime )

occt "linpack index tab" 2019 or 2021                                                  (are this good test. these seams hard but not unmanagably like other options)

linpack extreme                                                                                    ( not tryed jet )

occt mode extreme                                                                               (is this the same as linpack extreme? - also not tried jet )

cinebench r23                                                                                       (from what i can tell okish for thermal testing but for stability are better options elsewhere)

so i was thinking on going with occt linpack 2019 because of all the options that i run and read about it seams to be a hard enough test right.

i currently want to undervolt my cpu 10gen because of powersaving

any insight from experienced overclocker/ undervolter would be great.

It really comes down to your personal tolerance for instability. To call something 100% stable I'd want it to be able to run all of those indefinitely. 

In my experience (overclocker, not undervolter), usually if something passes Linpack indefinitely the odds of having any sort of instability in a gaming workload is very little. That said, if you're undervolting, you aren't thermally limited (the main reason to not go for something more intensive like Prime95 Small FFTs or OCCT Small is they run so incredibly hot), I'd be wanting to test in all of those. Prime95 Small FFT, XTU Stress test AVX, and Linpack Extreme are the most different, so I'd try to get them to run those. If you're a bit more tolerant of instability (again, very unlikely if you're just playing games), drop Prime95 Small FFTs and just focus on XTU and Linpack.  

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It really comes down to your personal tolerance for instability. To call something 100% stable I'd want it to be able to run all of those indefinitely. 

In my experience (overclocker, not undervolter), usually if something passes Linpack indefinitely the odds of having any sort of instability in a gaming workload is very little. That said, if you're undervolting, you aren't thermally limited (the main reason to not go for something more intensive like Prime95 Small FFTs or OCCT Small is they run so incredibly hot), I'd be wanting to test in all of those. Prime95 Small FFT, XTU Stress test AVX, and Linpack Extreme are the most different, so I'd try to get them to run those. If you're a bit more tolerant of instability (again, very unlikely if you're just playing games), drop Prime95 Small FFTs and just focus on XTU and Linpack.  

so if i dont want to uses the extremest of test xtu with avx (not avx2 ?) and maybe occt linpack 2019 will be enough ? also how long should i test 10min? 1h? or even more ?

also is linpack extreme the same as occt linpack or are they different ? linpack name confuses me there

2 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

so if i dont want to uses the extremest of test xtu with avx (not avx2 ?) and maybe occt linpack 2019 will be enough ?

Yeah that should be fine. That's about how my systems have been stability tested for the past while. 

5 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

also how long should i test 10min? 1h? or even more ?

I'd want at least an hour. More than that is to your discretion, usually I set it to run indefinitely until I finish doing something else (sometimes an hour, sometimes 4, sometimes 8+ if its late and I want to sleep). I've never had something that runs for an hour fail to run for 4+, but it can theoretically happen. 

16 minutes ago, CasoF13 said:

They are technically different, OCCT Linpack did a few minor tweaks to it IIRC, but practically speaking they're the same test with a different UI. I'd only run one or the other, not both. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

thx for your insight thats gone help me alot