HDBaseT suitable for VR? Or optical thunderbolt/USB-C extenders?

da-anda

Hey, I know that Linus is trying to get something similar working in his new home (I at least think he does), but I'm not sure what the current state is and/or if anybody of you folks in here has any experience with this yet. What I basically would like to achieve is to have my gaming rig in a different room and use something like HDBase-T or an optical thunderbolt/USB-C extender to play games in my living room (which is on a different floor even). Since I don't have a VR headset yet and thus don't know about the connectivity requirements, I'm not sure if either of those would work for VR. I know that for VR the latency has to be as minimal as possible, which made me wonder if VR would be possible at all in such a way. Does anybody know what Linus is up to in this regard or has first-hand experience? Since I'm pretty new in here, I have no idea if one can ping one of his staff here, or if they loosely follow the forums at all so that I could ask directly.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of VR headset are you using? I am using AV Access KVM extender (HDMI 2.0 HDBaseT kit) to work on my PC from another room, it works good. While I haven't really tried a VR headset as my video output. I check the PSVR 2 specs - the video resolution is 1080p, refresh rate 90/120hz and HDMI & USB port available. Looks like my kit is good enough to handle. You can try a HDMI 2.0 KVM extender. As long as the box has enough bandwidth for the data and right interfaces for your connection. It will work good.