NAS model + Raid 1 ?

PSP.

Hello , 
I have no idea which NAS Synology model better to buy  , what I know the HDD red for nas
Main question is Raid 1
what I understand about Raid 1 :
example  
when you have x2 5tb HDD  ,total 10tb but you will see only 5tb
5tb main 
second drive or 5tb is mirror and copy everything from hdd 1nd you can't control it
I got it , 
but when I install 3nd and 4nd hdd same size and model the 2nd and 3nd and 4nd will be mirror and copy files from 1nd ?
so 2nd 3nd 4nd is just for backup ?

isn't raid 1 is best when you use large HDD like x2 or x4 10TB ?
Thanks 

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

If you're going to buy a Synology, I'd recommend reading through their knowledge base article about their "Synology Hybrid RAID". It's their solution for lumping a bunch of different-size drives together into one big storage pool. (It's actually based on Linux kernel software RAID under the hood.)

https://kb.synology.com/en-eu/DSM/tutorial/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID_SHR

Traditional hardware RAID is kind of antiquated at this point. Software-defined solutions are much more flexible.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Fahad ALme said:

Hello , 
I have no idea which NAS Synology model better to buy  , what I know the HDD red for nas
Main question is Raid 1
what I understand about Raid 1 :
example  
when you have x2 5tb HDD  ,total 10tb but you will see only 5tb
5tb main 
second drive or 5tb is mirror and copy everything from hdd 1nd you can't control it
I got it , 
but when I install 3nd and 4nd hdd same size and model the 2nd and 3nd and 4nd will be mirror and copy files from 1nd ?
so 2nd 3nd 4nd is just for backup ?

isn't raid 1 is best when you use large HDD like x2 or x4 10TB ?
Thanks 

Raid 1 really only makes sense with 2 drives. Unless you REALLY need the read speed increase, don't add a 3rd or 4th drive. If you have a 4 bay NAS, really try to get 4 drives all at once and set up the RAID 5 or synology equivalent.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Raid 1 really only makes sense with 2 drives. Unless you REALLY need the read speed increase, don't add a 3rd or 4th drive. If you have a 4 bay NAS, really try to get 4 drives all at once and set up the RAID 5 or synology equivalent.

I seen videos that some NAS synology have like M.2 etc... 
which model Nas synology  you recommend to buy ?
I can't decide Raid 1 or Raid 5
when I want use Raid 1 , x2 5tb ? slower ? than Raid 5 ?

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

50 minutes ago, Fahad ALme said:

I seen videos that some NAS synology have like M.2 etc... 
which model Nas synology  you recommend to buy ?
I can't decide Raid 1 or Raid 5
when I want use Raid 1 , x2 5tb ? slower ? than Raid 5 ?

What do you need in a NAS? How much storage? How many users will use it? What is the budget?

22 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

What do you need in a NAS? How much storage? How many users will use it? What is the budget?

1- no budget limit 

2- large family 8 and sons of my brother and sister with kids total 13+
what I need to use for :

1- store my files and all photos with own password . no one of my family can see the my files
2- uploads movies for my father and family can see movies or TV Series because my father and mother they don't know how to watch by internet so I will upload what they want , and also Arrangement of episodes
may you say Netflix or other ,we do not want clips that contradict our religion. I am sorry to say this. I say my reasons. I will cut the video clips that are inappropriate
3- movies and Carton for kids Spiderman Tom and jerry etc... 
store family photos and memories etc...

want my own cloud for home , I not trust google drive or onedrive for my important files and family photos
I hope you list what I need like if I need m.2 etc...

still don't know raid 5 or 1 , thinking about need above 10TB ?
I think Raid 10 best and no risk ?
or Raid 1 will use x2 5TB or 10TB each ? good option ?
I know will use less but not want upgrade tb for years

A prebuilt NAS from a company like Synology is a turn-key solution that will get up and running with minimal effort, but the high end models tend to be expensive. 

The DIY approach is to put multiple hard drives into a capable PC and use that as a server. It's less expensive, but server hardware and software is a rabbit hole. The two most popular solutions are TrueNAS and Unraid. They're not difficult to set up, but they take more know-how than a dedicated appliance.

In general, it's easier to buy all your storage up front instead of trying to grow over time. (Especially so with ZFS, which doesn't let you arbitrarily add drives one at a time.

1- store my files and all photos with own password . no one of my family can see the my files

Any NAS solution will let you do this. As long as nobody else is an admin, or gets hold of your password so they can log in with your account, you can keep files locked out of their view.

2- uploads movies for my father and family can see movies or TV Series because my father and mother they don't know how to watch by internet so I will upload what they want , and also Arrangement of episodes
may you say Netflix or other ,we do not want clips that contradict our religion. I am sorry to say this. I say my reasons. I will cut the video clips that are inappropriate

Plex will do that, and it runs on a variety of platforms. (You'll probably want to hide or disable its streaming functions, since they won't be filtered to your standards.) As long as you follow its file naming conventions, it will accept your edited files just the same as originals. You may still have to sanitize thumbnails and descriptions manually, though.

3- movies and Carton for kids Spiderman Tom and jerry etc...

Create a "Kids" category in Plex, put the cartoons in there. 

want my own cloud for home , I not trust google drive or onedrive for my important files and family photos

Use a service like Google Drive or OneDrive as a second backup location. Remember the 3-2-1 rule of backups: 3 copies, on 2 different types of media, with 1 being offsite.

22 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

A prebuilt NAS from a company like Synology is a turn-key solution that will get up and running with minimal effort, but the high end models tend to be expensive. 

The DIY approach is to put multiple hard drives into a capable PC and use that as a server. It's less expensive, but server hardware and software is a rabbit hole. The two most popular solutions are TrueNAS and Unraid. They're not difficult to set up, but they take more know-how than a dedicated appliance.

In general, it's easier to buy all your storage up front instead of trying to grow over time. (Especially so with ZFS, which doesn't let you arbitrarily add drives one at a time.

Any NAS solution will let you do this. As long as nobody else is an admin, or gets hold of your password so they can log in with your account, you can keep files locked out of their view.

Plex will do that, and it runs on a variety of platforms. (You'll probably want to hide or disable its streaming functions, since they won't be filtered to your standards.) As long as you follow its file naming conventions, it will accept your edited files just the same as originals. You may still have to sanitize thumbnails and descriptions manually, though.

Create a "Kids" category in Plex, put the cartoons in there. 

Use a service like Google Drive or OneDrive as a second backup location. Remember the 3-2-1 rule of backups: 3 copies, on 2 different types of media, with 1 being offsite.

I not want Plex or anything , 
just NAS Synology model and which raid to start ? 
which faster raid 10 or SHR ? 

Just now, Fahad ALme said:

I not want Plex or anything , 

Plex is software that runs on a Synology, and gives you an easy to use, Netflix-like interface for browsing your own media files.

1 minute ago, Fahad ALme said:

just NAS Synology model and which raid to start ? 

A four- or five-drive DiskStation like the DS913+ or DS1522+ will be more than enough for your use case.

3 minutes ago, Fahad ALme said:

which faster raid 10 or SHR ? 

Just fill the thing with 4 or 5 drives and run SHR with single-drive redundancy. If all your devices just have Gigabit then you're limited to 120 MB/sec network transfers anyway.

19 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Plex is software that runs on a Synology, and gives you an easy to use, Netflix-like interface for browsing your own media files.

A four- or five-drive DiskStation like the DS913+ or DS1522+ will be more than enough for your use case.

Just fill the thing with 4 or 5 drives and run SHR with single-drive redundancy. If all your devices just have Gigabit then you're limited to 120 MB/sec network transfers anyway.

so , SHR I will use x4 1tb 
x1 1tb for protection mean any one of three hdd dead , the x1 will replace to dead one ?
or just mirror , performance is matter SHR , SHR-2 , Raid 10

I will not use 1tb but saying example, maybe 5 tb each

13 minutes ago, Fahad ALme said:

x1 1tb for protection mean any one of three hdd dead , the x1 will replace to dead one ?

Sort of. You get three drives' worth of capacity for your data, and the fourth drive's worth of space is used for parity. If one drive fails, you lose that redundancy safety net until you replace it and the array rebuilds, but you don't lose any data unless a second drive fails at the same time.

SHR-2 uses two drives worth of space for redundancy. Any two drives can fail without losing data, but if you only have four drives then you only get two drives' worth of usable space.

RAID 10 is a mirror of stripes. If one drive fails, your data is safe. If the other drive in that pair fails, you data is safe. If the matching drive in the other pair fails before you replace the bad drive and rebuild, the array is lost and you lose your data.

The golden rule about RAID is that RAID is not a backup. Always keep good backups of data you care about.

https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_what_is_raid?version=7

25 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sort of. You get three drives' worth of capacity for your data, and the fourth drive's worth of space is used for parity. If one drive fails, you lose that redundancy safety net until you replace it and the array rebuilds, but you don't lose any data unless a second drive fails at the same time.

SHR-2 uses two drives worth of space for redundancy. Any two drives can fail without losing data, but if you only have four drives then you only get two drives' worth of usable space.

RAID 10 is a mirror of stripes. If one drive fails, your data is safe. If the other drive in that pair fails, you data is safe. If the matching drive in the other pair fails before you replace the bad drive and rebuild, the array is lost and you lose your data.

The golden rule about RAID is that RAID is not a backup. Always keep good backups of data you care about.

https://kb.synology.com/en-id/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_what_is_raid?version=7

ok one question about SHR
example : 
x1 1tb space can use , x1 tb mirror , 
ok when I add third 2tb will be automatically mirror ?
do you recommend to buy m.2 for buffering or doesn't matter ?

34 minutes ago, Fahad ALme said:

example : 

SHR is pairty only

If you add a a third drive, with 2tb caapacaity you will get a total of 2tb usable. There is a calculaor to see how much space you will have

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Id skip the m.2 cachce, you probably wont need it as you don't seem to be doing any io heavy workloads.

34 minutes ago, Fahad ALme said:

example : 

With SHR and raid 5 you need to start with the total number of drives that you want to end with. It is not really (easily) possible to add drives as you go. So if you have a 4 bay NAS, just get 4 drives right from the start.

As for the nvme buffer, it really won't matter in your case. I doubt that you will be putting that much of a write load that it will benefit you. Use that money to get more or bigger harddrives.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

SHR is pairty only

If you add a a third drive, with 2tb caapacaity you will get a total of 2tb usable. There is a calculaor to see how much space you will have

https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

Id skip the m.2 cachce, you probably wont need it as you don't seem to be doing any io heavy workloads.

ok , pairty
I will ask about small size 1tb just example SHR , 
when I do SHR x4 1tb , x3 hdd normal use , x1 Use for protection , 
now I want use external HDD to store everything from NAS , 
I want when I use NAS x4 hdd , 
I want bring external portable USB and then plug to NAS 
and move everything from NAS to portable like 5tb to store everything . will work ?

Needfuldoer said DS913+ or DS1522+ , I think good to start , 
now the HDD model , WD red or 
HAT5300 Series ?

ok , pairty
I will ask about small size 1tb just example SHR , 
when I do SHR x4 1tb , x3 hdd normal use , x1 Use for protection , 
now I want use external HDD to store everything from NAS , 
I want when I use NAS x4 hdd , 
I want bring external portable USB and then plug to NAS 
and move everything from NAS to portable like 5tb to store everything . will work ?

Needfuldoer said DS913+ or DS1522+ , I think good to start , 
now the HDD model , WD red or 
HAT5300 Series ?

Yea synology has a mode to backup to a external hdd.

Skip the wd red drives, you want red plus or above. Seagate ironwolf is also good. Id pick the cheapest of those options.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea synology has a mode to backup to a external hdd.

Skip the wd red drives, you want red plus or above. Seagate ironwolf is also good. Id pick the cheapest of those options.

I know hdd read \ write not above 100 \ 120 as I know , I really can't decide which best to start for NAS
ignore cheapest , I want best acceptable value 
I really don't know here start 5\6 tb x4 ?
I know is almost huge but not want upgrade for years
now HDD model + size and NAS Synology model if have better than above what you recommend ?

56 minutes ago, Fahad ALme said:

I know hdd read \ write not above 100 \ 120 as I know , I really can't decide which best to start for NAS
ignore cheapest , I want best acceptable value 
I really don't know here start 5\6 tb x4 ?
I know is almost huge but not want upgrade for years
now HDD model + size and NAS Synology model if have better than above what you recommend ?

Id generally go with fewer bigger drives, so something like 2x16tb to start with. Then you can go with a cheap 4 bay model and upgrade.

53 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id generally go with fewer bigger drives, so something like 2x16tb to start with. Then you can go with a cheap 4 bay model and upgrade.

I didn't understand upgrade ,
I can use 2 or 4 or 6 , when I want upgrade I have to add 2 drives ?
did you meant better buy x2 16tb and x2 10tb ?
fine with SHR ? but not SHR-2
I think SHR-2 better for me ,, I will buy x4 10tb for still more than what i need , SHR 2, 2 hdd  Use for protection , 
HDD model can't decide here

42 minutes ago, Fahad ALme said:

I didn't understand upgrade ,
I can use 2 or 4 or 6 , when I want upgrade I have to add 2 drives ?
did you meant better buy x2 16tb and x2 10tb ?
fine with SHR ? but not SHR-2
I think SHR-2 better for me ,, I will buy x4 10tb for still more than what i need , SHR 2, 2 hdd  Use for protection , 
HDD model can't decide here

How much usable capacity do you need?

With 4 hdds, Id run shr instead of shr2, the risk of dual failure is very low.

You can have odd numbers of drives, so you can upgrade from 2x16tb drives by adding any capacity 3rd drive. Then add a 4th drive later as needed.

21 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

With 4 hdds, Id run shr instead of shr2, the risk of dual failure is very low.

You can have odd numbers of drives, so you can upgrade from 2x16tb drives by adding any capacity 3rd drive. Then add a 4th drive later as needed.

first time and seems like 13+ users , and kids , maybe x5 kids same time will watch movies or more
so for family and kids and for adult , I checked about Plex will use it later 
my goal best at all , prices not issue for me , I really understand better now 
ok I will start with SHR-1 , I not think I need to upgrade later , 16tb or 10tb huge for me 
my all files with some games still 800gb , but I said 16\10tb , because want add movies so ,
I will start with SHR x4 10tb
.Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – CMR
good to start with Ironwolf ?

On 11/29/2022 at 6:03 PM, Fahad ALme said:

first time and seems like 13+ users , and kids , maybe x5 kids same time will watch movies or more
so for family and kids and for adult , I checked about Plex will use it later 
my goal best at all , prices not issue for me , I really understand better now 
ok I will start with SHR-1 , I not think I need to upgrade later , 16tb or 10tb huge for me 
my all files with some games still 800gb , but I said 16\10tb , because want add movies so ,
I will start with SHR x4 10tb
.Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – CMR
good to start with Ironwolf ?

The IronWolf drives are good, I have 8 in my NAS and they've been flawless.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB