Need sanity check on new build (part list included) - been a while for me

Budget: ~1500 € (excl drives, which I already have)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NAS + occasional semi-casual AAA 1080p or 1440p gaming (TrueNAS SCALE + Gaming VM or Proxmox + Gaming VM)

Other details:

I am upgrading from a ASUS ROG Z170, 16 GB RAM, i5-6600K, ASUS ROG STRIX GTX960 4GB put in a HTPC case I had spare. It currently also acts as some sort of NAS/fileserver. So I'm currently running TrueNAS SCALE on it with 1x 1TB SSD pool, 1x 16 TB HDD pool (3 x 8TB WD RED, Z1) and have my GPU and M.2 NVMe passed through to a Win10 gaming VM. For my replacement build I will keep all the drives (3x SSD, 3x HDD, 1x M.2 NVMe) but ditch the rest.

So the last build I have done was quite some time ago. And even though I was watching tons of LTT and GN videos over the last year, I am still not confident enough to just buy random components and hope everything fits nicely.

Here is the part list I came up with and would be happy if some of you could sanity check it:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HDj7qm

I'll likely go with ECC memory (since I run ZFS on it) but couldn't pick one on the partpicker website. Can somebody maybe recommend some ECC memory (32 GB, 16-24 for gaming, 8-16 for NAS)?

Also, since it will also act as NAS, I am looking for a low power consumption when idle, which also means that for now I might be undervolting things (which is the reason for the i5-K and z690 board) and once it's aged out I plan on overclocking for gaming.

Thanks.

Power supply is cutting extremely close at only 650W for a system that is estimated to draw 592W. I'd suggest going for an 800W atleast.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Can you afford Corsair RM750 ?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

the RM750 is about the same price as the SeaSonic PRIME PX 650 W I had picked. So yes, I could afford it. But it's only 80+Gold instead of 80+Platinum like the SeaSonic. But since both of you are concerned about my PSU, I'll look for a more powerful one (ideally also Platinum). Since I doubt that during gaming I will max out the system/PSU (expecially when undervolted, or CPU limited to ~90W which still gives >90% performance), it should have a good efficiency when idle and on half load (like ~350 W)

7 minutes ago, da-anda said:

the RM750 is about the same price as the SeaSonic PRIME PX 650 W I had picked. So yes, I could afford it. But it's only 80+Gold instead of 80+Platinum like the SeaSonic. But since both of you are concerned about my PSU, I'll look for a more powerful one (ideally also Platinum). Since I doubt that during gaming I will max out the system/PSU (expecially when undervolted, or CPU limited to ~90W which still gives >90% performance), it should have a good efficiency when idle and on half load (like ~350 W)

Keep in mind that 80+ is a flawed metric for many reasons.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

7 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Keep in mind that 80+ is a flawed metric for many reasons.

yeah, I've seen the video. But Platinum still should be better than Gold, even though that the 80+ certification itself is flawed.

18 minutes ago, da-anda said:

yeah, I've seen the video. But Platinum still should be better than Gold, even though that the 80+ certification itself is flawed.

Actually no. You should look at an efficiency curve of the individual units.

Sometimes even bronze units are better than platinums in certain scenarios.

The 80+ rating is very flawed and many psus can forcefully pass the cert whilst being garbage tier units or not as efficient as you think.

16 minutes ago, da-anda said:

It will be better at 20%, 50% and 100% but there really is no telling at other percentages, especcially idle percentages...

I was gonna continue but Jaslion has said everything I need to say about 80+

He/Him

do you have a link where I can see tests about the efficency curve and compare?
But given that all concerns only have been about the PSU so far, the rest of the system seems to be fine?

and I just checked on Cybenetic, the Corsair RM750e really seems like a good pick in terms of bang (efficiency) for the buck. Thanks.

edit: just found the CoolerMaster V750 Gold v2 which seems to be a tiny bit more efficient for even a few bucks less, and it was the best PSU in that wattage range on tomshardware. Any objections? 🙂

guys, I'm rethinking my build. Since I would like to play VR games as well, I can't put my gaming rig in the basement and then just stream the games. So my thinking was to create a pure gaming rig not acting as additional file server and put it in the living room. Do you have recommendations for a good mircoATX mobo featuring the Z690 or Z790 chipset (so that I can undervolt and overclock, whatever I choose to do)?