Need Recommendations. Keyboard + Numpad

vanamp

Built a sweet new PC and am still working with a cheap membrane keyboard and am looking for recommendations. I want something nice but don't have aspirations to make keyboards a hobby like Plouffe.  I am working on the PC daily with office type computing 9-5, video editing/media creation and hopefully gaming now that I have a PC that can do it evenings and weekends.

I am thinking it would be nice ergonomically to have a seperate num pad but not a deal breaker.  In the end need all keys of a full size keyboard.  I have never had a nice keyboard and am leaning towards brown switches or similar. 

Wireless would be nice but not a deal breaker. Is wireless OK for gaming?

Prefer pre-built but not affraid of piecing something together if it makes sense. 

If anyone is rocking a setup like this and like it, let me know what you got.  If there are any brands I should check out let me know.  I have a bunch of stuff in my amazon cart but just not sure if any of it is any good. 

• 4 weeks later...

For wired vs wireless: wireless 2.4GHz (using a USB dongle) should be fine. Bluetooth might add a bit of latency but it may or may not be noticeable depending on the genres of games and if you plan to play competitively. Most modern wireless boards have both options anyway.

For specific keyboard brands, it's hard to go wrong with Keychron. They offer all the high-end features that used to be the domain of turbonerds like CNC machined chassis, hot swappable switches, noise dampening gasket etc. in lots of different layouts and wired or wireless options. I have the Q6 which is the wired, 100% layout but there are plenty to choose from.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with a keychron K8 aluminum base and Epomaker Feker JJK21.  Switched out keycaps since the keypad was barebones.  Will be changing out keycaps again as its a bit mismatched.  I did not want to lose my F keys alternate function legand so left the original keychron caps on it and the spacebar in the set I got would stick down for some reason. 

Gateron Browns in everything. I like them but have nothing to reference against so may get a switch sample pack and try more but this setup is 1000x better than what I am used to and a lot more comfortable to work with. 

I have been using the keychron wired. Bluetooth works fine just felt a little better typing wired. 

20230102_094748.jpg

• 1 month later...

Figured I would update this for anyone who stumbles upon it looking for similar.  After about a month the Keychron is great.  Rock solid in function easy to type on.  The only negative is the RGB is rather Dim but I don't really use it much and its only noticeable when next to the keypad which is brighter. I have limited experience with nice keyboards but the keychron is a win for me.

The keypad on the other hand has completely failed in its most basic function, data entry.  Wired or wireless it goes to sleep very quickly and does not send the first keypress.  It is worthless, and kills my workflow as I go to enter data only to have to clear and re-type because it missed the first key press.  The volume Knob sits too low and is difficult to grab because its obstructed by the key next to it and the Knob press function is spongy and you can feel the board inside bend.

So still on the look out for a good keypad.  Burnt my budget on this one so I am sticking with it in hopes of a firmware update that fixes it.

1 hour ago, lw88 said:

Epomaker are kinda trash yeah. Unfortunate but true. I had a looooott of driver issues with my gk68xs and was entirely dissatisfied with their drivers.

Hope you can find a better one in future. If you end up wanting something more premium keychron just released the Q0 and Q0 plus. Other than that I think you'd be best off looking at cheap hot swap numpads on aliexpress and trying to find one that doesn't promise a bunch of buzzwords like gasket and foam, and is around the 40-60 USD mark.

I was really excited for a moment, Q0 Plus. Is there a wireless version coming? Nope, Just a big Q0 with a knob and macro keys.