dslr 4k 60p as a webcam

Ali Mahmoud
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
2 minutes ago, Ali Mahmoud said:

Will 4K60 PRO work with cameras ?

if your camera has a HDMI output that outputs 4K60, it will work with your camera.

all the cards essentially do the same thing: take in a HDMI signal, and make it available for software to capture.

all your camera needs, is a propper HDMI output, but if it doesnt, there's no capture card in the world that can solve that for you.

I searched a lot for a way that I can make a webcam on obs with 4k quality and 60 pictures per second, but I didn't find it
This is what I found

https://www.elgato.com/en/cam-link-4k

https://www.atomos.com/accessories/connect4k
I want something high quality, no matter what the price is

I searched for solutions in Blackmagic, but I could not find exactly what I wanted

Have you looked at the blackmagic decklink line? those should be able to do 4k60 and I think they work with OBS, but haven't confirmed it.

22 minutes ago, Ali Mahmoud said:

I searched a lot for a way that I can make a webcam on obs with 4k quality and 60 pictures per second, but I didn't find it

To what end? Why do you want it?

What's your internet upload speed? A lot of residential internet can't upload fast enough to make 4Kp60 a worthwhile target.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you looked at the blackmagic decklink line? those should be able to do 4k60 and I think they work with OBS, but haven't confirmed it.

OBS should work with Blackmagic; we use(d) it at my church.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

1 hour ago, AbydosOne said:

To what end? Why do you want it?

What's your internet upload speed? A lot of residential internet can't upload fast enough to make 4Kp60 a worthwhile target.

OBS should work with Blackmagic; we use(d) it at my church.

Let's do the answer that I just want to publish very high quality content

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Will it work as required ?

support 60 frames per second on 4k ?

like @AbydosOne has asked.  It's got more to do with other things than just the camera.  Why are you being so rude?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

11 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

like @AbydosOne has asked.  It's got more to do with other things than just the camera.  Why are you being so rude?

Who is rude ?

few things i like to note:

- you really dont need 60fps for a webcam solution, unless you're doing something extremely fast action. you could also go 30fps with the same bitrate and get MUCH better quality out of your bitrate because you get twice the data per frame. for something that is rendered digitally it matters, for camera's the natural motion blur does a good job at filling the gaps.

- if someone asks a question, it's probably because the answer to that will change their answer to you. if you want to ask why it would, see the above line.

beyond that, if you insist on 4k60.. something like this is probably your best option:

https://www.elgato.com/en/game-capture-4k60-pro

if you can live with a lower number on your screen for a change in quality that wont pass a blind A-B test in most cases.. you can use one of these just fine:

11 minutes ago, manikyath said:

few things i like to note:

- you really dont need 60fps for a webcam solution, unless you're doing something extremely fast action. you could also go 30fps with the same bitrate and get MUCH better quality out of your bitrate because you get twice the data per frame. for something that is rendered digitally it matters, for camera's the natural motion blur does a good job at filling the gaps.

- if someone asks a question, it's probably because the answer to that will change their answer to you. if you want to ask why it would, see the above line.

beyond that, if you insist on 4k60.. something like this is probably your best option:

https://www.elgato.com/en/game-capture-4k60-pro

if you can live with a lower number on your screen for a change in quality that wont pass a blind A-B test in most cases.. you can use one of these just fine:

1 minute ago, Heliian said:

I nice mirrorless camera can be plugged into your computer for 4k streaming. 

Can you give me an example?

2 minutes ago, Ali Mahmoud said:

if your camera has a HDMI output that outputs 4K60, it will work with your camera.

all the cards essentially do the same thing: take in a HDMI signal, and make it available for software to capture.

all your camera needs, is a propper HDMI output, but if it doesnt, there's no capture card in the world that can solve that for you.

9 hours ago, Heliian said:

I really like the newer A7 series from Sony, but most new cameras can do it.  Canon has good quality options as well.  

This is an older article but might be a good start: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solutions/how-use-your-sony-camera-webcam

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1500555-REG/blackmagic_design_bdlkulsdmini4k_ultrastudio_4k_mini_connector.html/overview

Can this work on obs?