Question about Ubiquiti Unifi Access Point U6 Lite and network security

smmmokin
Go to solution Solved by seanondemand,

You have a router. What you're calling your switch is actually a modem/router/switch combination box (sometimes called a gateway). The modem is a pretty dumb device handling your particular internet "pipe" to your satellite ISP; the router manages the network, gives each device an IP and handles things like firewall and network security; and switches are also pretty dumb, just splitting your network into ports you can plug devices into. Plugging an access point into that box will just give you a really nice wireless access point but isn't going to give you any other functionality than you already have - an "access point" is simply a "dumb" device that only delivers wi-fi to a network.

Just to be clear, here's my setup: modem from the ISP, ethernet into a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro (router), ethernet going to a Unifi Switch 16 POE (switch), going to 3x Unifi AP Pros (access points). 

To answer your security question, unless you're like, a journalist looking into human rights violations committed by Saudi Arabia or something - you should be fine. If you are, yeah a more robust router option would be worth looking into but honestly you've probably got bigger things to stress about

I have the access point mentioned above. I live out in the country so have a dish on my roof for internet. From there I have it plugged into a switch and have security cameras plugged into that switch along with the Ubiquity wifi access point.

Since I don't have a router how open am I to attacks the way I have it set up? If it is a problem, what would be a good option to secure the network?

Appreciate any info. Hard to find info on this one.

You have a router. What you're calling your switch is actually a modem/router/switch combination box (sometimes called a gateway). The modem is a pretty dumb device handling your particular internet "pipe" to your satellite ISP; the router manages the network, gives each device an IP and handles things like firewall and network security; and switches are also pretty dumb, just splitting your network into ports you can plug devices into. Plugging an access point into that box will just give you a really nice wireless access point but isn't going to give you any other functionality than you already have - an "access point" is simply a "dumb" device that only delivers wi-fi to a network.

Just to be clear, here's my setup: modem from the ISP, ethernet into a Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine Pro (router), ethernet going to a Unifi Switch 16 POE (switch), going to 3x Unifi AP Pros (access points). 

To answer your security question, unless you're like, a journalist looking into human rights violations committed by Saudi Arabia or something - you should be fine. If you are, yeah a more robust router option would be worth looking into but honestly you've probably got bigger things to stress about

Thanks friend. Appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Hope you have an amazing week ahead.