Is there such a thing as a conductive locktite?

Bombastinator
Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,
9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I want to glue some connector pins into their sockets without messing up the connection.

is there some sort of standard method for this?

The problem:

Hide contents

So I’ve got this bliKVMHAT thing that sort of attaches between the case connectors and the motherboard to control the motherboard over ip
  The problem I’m having is the pins from the bli cable that go into the case I/o connectors keeps coming undone when I try to cable manage it and the bli cables are fricken rainbow which is way way worse than ketchup and mustard so they badly need to be cablemanaged.  I don’t want to mess up the connection though.  The only thing I can think of to do besides this is to tie each of them together using this piece of PC board that came with the bliKVMHAT and some zip ties which seems sub optimal to me.

Why I bought (yes, past tense) the thing before you start making fun:

Hide contents

It’s got hdmi in from the iGPU which mirrors the screen and a USB out into the motherboard, so it’s got some basic and fundamental advantages over RDP or VLS or whatnot (I’ve had both VLS and RDP fail on me and SSH won’t do video that I am aware. It’s command line) that keep me from not being able to connect out of my own stupidity. Full administrative control, no OS restrictions, the computer doesn’t know I’m not there. I can emulate basically any USB device, etc.  it’s an overly expensive solution perhaps, but one vastly cheaper than the same kind of thing commonly used for servers and still cheaper than a monitor.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/products/industrial-adhesives/electrically-conductive-adhesives.html

https://www.amazon.com/Conductive-Adhesives/b?ie=UTF8&node=401542011

First time knowing this as well, now I am wishing it's available in my country without hefty price tag @_@

I want to glue some connector pins into their sockets without messing up the connection.

The problem:

Spoiler

So I’ve got this bliKVMHAT thing that sort of attaches between the case connectors and the motherboard to control the motherboard over ip
  The problem I’m having is the pins from the bli cable that go into the case I/o connectors keeps coming undone when I try to cable manage it and the bli cables are fricken rainbow which is way way worse than ketchup and mustard so they badly need to be cablemanaged.  I don’t want to mess up the connection though.  The only thing I can think of to do besides this is to tie each of them together using this piece of PC board that came with the bliKVMHAT and some zip ties which seems sub optimal to me.

Spoiler

It’s got hdmi in from the iGPU which mirrors the screen and a USB out into the motherboard, so it’s got some basic and fundamental advantages over RDP or VLS or whatnot (I’ve had both VLS and RDP fail on me and SSH won’t do video that I am aware. It’s command line) that keep me from not being able to connect out of my own stupidity. Full administrative control, no OS restrictions, the computer doesn’t know I’m not there. I can emulate basically any USB device, etc.  it’s an overly expensive solution perhaps, but one vastly cheaper than the same kind of thing commonly used for servers and still cheaper than a monitor.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem:

Hide contents

Hide contents

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/products/industrial-adhesives/electrically-conductive-adhesives.html

https://www.amazon.com/Conductive-Adhesives/b?ie=UTF8&node=401542011

First time knowing this as well, now I am wishing it's available in my country without hefty price tag @_@

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

These appear to be mostly metal filled epoxies.  I didn’t think that would work, because epoxy is basically plastic, but I’ve got a ton of metal dust here I can mix in easily enough.  Is that likely to work?  I’ve also considered zip tying the bundles together at the joint.  Thick and stiff though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You don't need conductive Loctite, you should only use a tiny bit of Loctite to secure a bolt and it wouldn't impact the resistance of the connection any significant amount. Should work the same with pins tbh, just push it in so it makes the connection before it dries out and it won't lose the connection. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

These appear to be mostly metal filled epoxies.  I didn’t think that would work, because epoxy is basically plastic, but I’ve got a ton of metal dust here I can mix in easily enough.  Is that likely to work?  I’ve also considered zip tying the bundles together at the joint.  Thick and stiff though.

If you can mix enough, my logic says : "I don't see why it wouldn't"
But yeah, test it with something else first.

I need to see pics to be able to imagine what you are trying to achieve to give more DIY advice/suggestion.
But since you mentioned rainbow wires, I'm guessing the common wobblyness (wobblymess in my dictionary) of dupont connectors right now.

If it is dupont, I remember I used to tin the male pins to add a bit more thickness so that they don't wobble much.
If you trying it out, just remember to take it off from the plastic housing first, those shits can't take much heat.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

3 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

If you can mix enough, my logic says : "I don't see why it wouldn't"
But yeah, test it with something else first.

I need to see pics to be able to imagine what you are trying to achieve to give more DIY advice/suggestion.
I'm guessing the common wobblyness (wobblymess in my dictionary) of dupont connectors right now.

Behold the horror:  this is the third time that joint has popped and it takes forever to get back together again because on the bliKVM side all the pins are singles.  First pic shows why I feel I need to cable manage it, and second pic shows the pins all hanging loose.  I’m likely going to have to cut the zip ties I already put in so I can get my hands on them.3CB82C80-439C-46AB-932B-92E27633AE19.thumb.jpeg.45fab500f29cbfb4ba1cf9f41121a1ec.jpegC387F90A-4109-444E-ACB0-611C2ED17818.thumb.jpeg.f9c4bbf7e79b2b9db5e7c78cd086461c.jpeg

Case is a core v21 if that’s any help (4 of 6 sides come off) and the motherboard is a MSI mag b660m mortar wifi ddr4.  There are two rainbow cables.  One leading to the motherboard, which I have a handle on, and one leading to th case I/o which is pictured.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Behold the horror:  this is the third time that joint has popped and it takes forever to get back together again because on the bliKVM side all the pins are singles.  First pic shows why I feel I need to cable manage it, and second pic shows the pins all hanging loose.  I’m likely going to have to cut the zip ties I already put in so I can get my hands on them.3CB82C80-439C-46AB-932B-92E27633AE19.thumb.jpeg.45fab500f29cbfb4ba1cf9f41121a1ec.jpegC387F90A-4109-444E-ACB0-611C2ED17818.thumb.jpeg.f9c4bbf7e79b2b9db5e7c78cd086461c.jpeg

if the male and female dupoint connects snuggly, me, First I will try just gluing the wires plastic housing to each other using superglue, then glue the arrays top side to the header's plastic retainer top side (using the kind of adhesive that is easier to remove).
Easier to recover from if it doesn't work, since it doesn't "invade" the pins directly.

And if it does work good enough, means next time i want to change wire or whatever, I can just scrape the adhesive at the top, then proceed. Instead of desoldering and soldering a new header due to glued header pins.

but yeah, the way those dupont designed, even an increase of 0.1mm of thickness can turn "extra easy to pull out" to "need some force"

Refresh before you reply

Part of the problem is it’s a mod of the bliKVMHAT. the thing is supposed to be external but there was just a ton of room in the case and it’s an older design with water tube ports so I just pulled the rubber grommet off and stuck the thing to the inside back of the case with magnets. (Which is why it’s cockeyed in the pic) 

5FEE1F14-5C6A-4957-92B0-035F472873BB.thumb.jpeg.5c2591f7ffa8810441658736285dae5d.jpeg

The result is things are a bit messy, as I didn’t figure on the sheer number of extra cables I would need to connect it internally.  I thought an 850w PSU would handle a pi without noticing for one.  Apparently the pi notices and won’t run without it’s wall wart PSU.  Also the case they send out is steel and a really impressive faraday cage so the only WAN nic I can use is the Ethernet.  So 3 cables.  I’ve got parts orders in for male/female cables with mounts on one end so I can make a back panel of sorts and don’t have to run cables right into the box.  Would have been a whole lot easier if I’d just have used the bli pcie, but I had to pay scalper prices for the pi, and for whatever reason the pi4B is $50 cheaper than a CM4 atm, so this was in theory the much cheaper route.  Plus with a miniATX board I didn’t really have the pcie slots to spare.

Edited by Bombastinator

12 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

if the male and female dupoint connects snuggly, me, First I will try just gluing the wires plastic housing to each other using superglue, then glue the arrays top side to the header's plastic retainer top side (using the kind of adhesive that is easier to remove).
Easier to recover from if it doesn't work, since it doesn't "invade" the pins directly.

And if it does work good enough, means next time i want to change wire or whatever, I can just scrape the adhesive at the top, then proceed. Instead of desoldering and soldering a new header due to glued header pins.

but yeah, the way those dupont designed, even an increase of 0.1mm of thickness can turn "extra easy to pull out" to "need some force"

They do connect well, I just keep pulling them apart.  Superglue i got.  I will try this,  thx 😊 

29 minutes ago, that_dude said:

Raspberry Pi hat with dupont cable?

Hotglue

Hot glue I also got. I like this a bit better actually.  No nail polish remover required if I mess up.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They do connect well, I just keep pulling them apart.  Superglue i got.  I will try this,  thx 😊 

Black is dupont housing
Red is just a marker meaning superglue them to each other
Grey is header's plastic retainer
Green is dollop of adhesive.

If you are using hot glue, make sure it's not too hot that it starts bonding/melting the housing/retainer. Unless you don't mind it of course.
Me, I'd probably just use a VHB double tape.

Dupont.png

Refresh before you reply

26 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Black is dupont housing
Red is just a marker meaning superglue them to each other
Grey is header's plastic retainer
Green is dollop of adhesive.

If you are using hot glue, make sure it's not too hot that it starts bonding/melting the housing/retainer. Unless you don't mind it of course.
Me, I'd probably just use a VHB double tape.

Dupont.png

I tried electrical tape last time and it was a mess.  Hot glue will melt the housings?! I was ready to more or less encase the double bundle in it, let it cool, and not worry about it coming apart again unless I took an exacto to it.

re: your pic:

wish there was a solid thing to tape to.  It’s more like a wad of Lego blocks of different sizes. If I can set the KVM-side ribbon cable into a 4x2 setup with superglue there may be a good out that way.  Possibly all three at once: superglue the ribbon cable bits in formation, plug everything together, use 4 very small zip ties to basically make a set of suspenders for it, then glom hot glue over that for a removable mechanical connection.

Edited by Bombastinator

58 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I tried electrical tape last time and it was a mess.  Hot glue will melt the housings?! I was ready to more or less encase the double bundle in it, let it cool, and not worry about it coming apart again unless I took an exacto to it.

re: your pic:

wish there was a solid thing to tape to.  It’s more like a wad of Lego blocks of different sizes. If I can set the KVM-side ribbon cable into a 4x2 setup with superglue there may be a good out that way.  Possibly all three at once: superglue the ribbon cable bits in formation, plug everything together, use 4 very small zip ties to basically make a set of suspenders for it, then glom hot glue over that for a removable mechanical connection.

After you glue the dupont housing together, they'll be solid enough. But electrical tape won't cut it, since the header retention is small.
Try small zip tie through the wires, around the whole PCB after supergluing the dupont together

Refresh before you reply