Unreal Engine 5.1 - video game graphics have arrived at their destination

Delicieuxz
1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The game does look a lot more contrast-y with RT stuff on but it's bad for actual competitiveness because it makes it harder to track players..  Like old school where you would crank gamma settings so people couldn't hide in shadows.  FN with RT also has a displeasing "everything coated in plastic" look to it like they don't have surface reflections set right.

I think the "fortnite native" skins have the the same oversaturated aesthetic as the game world, where as the licensed stuff absolutely doesn't, and it's the licensed stuff that looks "worse" in some ways because (most likely) Epic doesn't have the rights to modify the models.

The lighting is definitely an issue that makes it harder to see players where the lighting either makes it easier to hide, or the transition between indoors and outdoors causes everything to just be blown out long enough to not see where other players are

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

A lot of people (myself included) play with graphics settings turned down just to make the gameplay feel less cluttered.  Like I'd rather have grass just be a blob of green than be individual moving blades of grass.  (plus 60fps in a competitive shooter feels like lag, so anything that drops below 144fps is immediately getting turned off)

I don't know if it's just nostalgia but I feel like Crysis was basically "here" 15 years ago...

I'd rather play things with the visual quality cranked at 4kp60, but even here I couldn't justify having RT to play it normally. 

image.thumb.png.f4fd53dce7e4bb7294d25ad239a1159a.png

This is the setting it gets set to when Ray tracing is turned on initially. TSR Epic, but at 50% resolution

image.thumb.png.7692b5ebdee1e27a89f316ef1e28465a.png

You have the option to crank it to native, but that results in 30fps on the RTX3090. So it's likely you'd need a RTX 4090 to do that.

Still, absolutely isn't worth having RT in Fortnite on if you're trying to play it competitively. I don't play it competitively, and if I had to start turning features off, RT is the first thing that goes off, followed by the AA feature entirely. AA being turned off entirely doesn't bother me. 

Epic kind of did it a bit of a disservice by making Fortnite a showcase for RT/TAA because the game suffers with the features turned on.