Maximum RAM Usage

So I was running a 16GB Ram kit, and I've been getting at most 88% ram usage.

I was afraid that I was going into page files, and I tried the counter thing in performance monitor but doesn't show anything.  

I decided to try out using 32GB today and after a regular night's usage, I saw that my max ram usage was 58% of 32GB, at 18.5 GB, which is obviously alot higher than my old kit at 16GB.

What does this mean? Does this 100% indicates 16Gb was not enough for me and that I was dipping into page files? If so, how come maximum ram usage was 88% not 99% or something? 

Also, how come the counter in performance monitor didn't show any page files activity?

I don't understand this.

No, software/apps will use more than they need to give themselves room, basically if they see memory headroom, they will seize it.

16GB is still plenty for today's games and general user software.

Unless you do any productivity workloads such as rendering, 32GB of RAM is basically a waste of money, at least for DDR4 and below.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

uh... its normal getting "into page files" ... the thing where it starts being not normal is when it happens constantly. 

my page file often gets used like ~2% even if there's a ton free ram anyways...

i haven't figured out which program does that yet, but it kinda has to be a program doing that i feel... but either way I see no issues,  and most of the time its 0% anyway. 

thing is how much ram you need depends on what you're doing, generally 16gb is fine.

6 hours ago, braveheart0707 said:

don't understand this.

the more ram you have the more windows will use,  its by design. dont like it? get another os, but its really *unnecessary* to worry about it too much, especially if you dont encounter issues.  and if you do, chances are its not because of ram anyhow.

for average user 16gb is enough,  heck id argue 8gb is, but thats for a low end system  that generally wont need a lot of ram for everyday usage. 

edit: here's a funny thing how ram allocation works on windows...

also note that you can't just go by how windows calls things, cached may not always refer to the same thing for example. 

So here's an example of "ram usage" or rather of windows ram allocation: 

305479874_Screenshot(340)-1.thumb.png.1ccd161c6f2097da3df71594e4d61f63.png

hmm.. cached, 9.5 (ok)

287553730_Screenshot(339)-1.thumb.png.adcd31854f14d1d0578f49b196d9aaa6.png

(somewhat "idle" usage)

Ok, but what's the important thing you should check to understand ram allocation is "standby memory":

Spoiler

20221117_132820.thumb.png.4f4faa7f18edee267ebdfde44600158c.png

YouTube!  lotsa youtube videos, yay! but sure takes a lot of memory,  huh (it does indeed) 

resource monitor,  memory, check the "standby":

2016903003_Screenshot(341)-1.thumb.png.2264efee3cfd3dcf1ba07c8a564aae09.png

276mb "free" sure not a lot, eh...

except the standby memory is more a virtual thing than actually used, which you can see in taskmanager that it's not actually using that much...

305479874_Screenshot(340)-1.thumb.png.1ccd161c6f2097da3df71594e4d61f63.png

"available" 9.7, hmm, hm, ok.

543195360_Screenshot(344)-1.thumb.png.cacd704e7d478a5bf76b2d1cf0d2a45d.png

yeah, lots a stuff, still not much "free", oh noes!

1916598963_Screenshot(345)-1.thumb.png.dd909510feff485ded9a02b56e7f2f3a.png

yay, more memory stuffs!

few hours later, no youtube: 

1122920060_Screenshot(350).thumb.png.0c0aca39e48f2a1bb60166f71b2b298a.png

6gig "free"! 🤔

Note: during all that time "page file" was actually at 0 (according to hwinfo64) ... because it doesn't even have much to do with memory allocation or usage and rather is something certain programs and apps use for "reasons" and yes, it will also be used when you're actually out of memory so the system doesn't crash in a "emergency situation " but simply page file being used does *not* mean you're out of memory...

Tldr, as long you don't experience issues (freezing,  stuttering,  crashing...) your memory usage is probably fine and its best to let windows do "its thing", which is shuffling around memory  *all the time*  = )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16GB is tiny and easy to fill up.  Before I went to 64GB there were a few times where Chrome pushed me to like 34GB and there was noticeable lag/paging.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

16GB is tiny and easy to fill up.  Before I went to 64GB there were a few times where Chrome pushed me to like 34GB and there was noticeable lag/paging.

must have been excessive however,  see above,  65 chrome thingies open, all or most of which are seemingly yt videos,  barely half of 16gb used most of which is "standby memory".

and even then, sometimes my page file gets used 2% or so, its barely noticeable if at all, actual network lag (especially on yt) is way more, or rather actually,  noticable.

imo if you feel page file makes you lag there's another issue probably,  or you have really excessive ram usage,  due to badly optimized programs (such as chrome) and in that case more ram might be justified,  but its not a normal usage behavior,  imho, why would you have more than 65 youtube videos open (for example)? 🤔

edit:

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

Chrome pushed me to like 34GB and there was noticeable lag/paging.

ah, ok, that's actually interesting (perhaps)!

So i wonder how much ram did you actually have installed at that time?

And what did your standby memory look like at this point? 

Lastly did you actually check the page file, or was it more like that you felt the issues were probably caused by page file? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

edit:

ah, ok, that's actually interesting (perhaps)!

So i wonder how much ram did you actually have installed at that time?

And what did your standby memory look like at this point? 

Lastly did you actually check the page file, or was it more like that you felt the issues were probably caused by page file? 

I had 32GB at that time.  I felt the problem when I opened a game on top of already having 32+ in use.  It has never been an issue with 64GB even though usage has gotten worse such as:

Chrome currently has 186 tabs, plus edge, firefox, lightroom, sometimes photoshop and a second user profile logged in with things for work.  I'm sitting at 42.3GB used right now with all of the above.  I'm sensitive to performance a hesitation of 1/10 of a second annoys me.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

1 minute ago, ewitte said:

I had 32GB at that time.  I felt the problem when I opened a game on top of already having 32+ in use.  It has never been an issue with 64GB even though usage has gotten worse such as:

Chrome currently has 186 tabs, plus edge, firefox, lightroom, sometimes photoshop and a second user profile logged in with things for work.  I'm sitting at 42.7GB used right now with all of the above.

yeah, i mean if you use that much and also a game on top you're going to need more than 16gb, but for average user it should be enough. 

i dunno,  i always close any programs that run in background when i play a game, and if anything i have *one* tab open in chrome to stream.  : p

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, i mean if you use that much and also a game on top you're going to need more than 16gb, but for average user it should be enough. 

i dunno,  i always close any programs that run in background when i play a game, and if anything i have *one* tab open in chrome to stream.  : p

I started that way but if I have 30 minutes to play and it takes 10-15 minutes just to close and re-open everything...

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

Chrome currently has 186 tabs, plus edge, firefox, lightroom, sometimes photoshop and a second user profile logged in with things for work.  I'm sitting at 42.3GB used right now with all of the above.  I'm sensitive to performance a hesitation of 1/10 of a second annoys me.

I hope people reading this understand what you're saying.

You need more ram when you don't close applications.  If you insist on having 186 tabs in chrome you'll need more ram.  

This is a YOU issue not a ram issue.  Answer the ops question in a logical and reasonable manner.  Not some outlier because YOU can't do something.

Do you close or exit a game when you're done playing and go to the next?  Why ?  You don't close browser windows?

1/10th of a second annoys you?  Really?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 hours ago, ewitte said:

186 tabs...  I have to say, even with my internet that only gives me like 300kb/s download speed at most, I never keep that many tabs open.
Chrome + Edge + Firefox at the same time?  err... why ?
Second user profile ? why and what for ? If somebody else in your home sometimes uses your PC just log them out after they're done?

if the logic is "I want to keep everything open all the time" then sooner or later even 128gb won't be enough.

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

I started that way but if I have 30 minutes to play and it takes 10-15 just to close and re-open everything...

10-15 what? minutes? seconds?  Doesn't make any sense with your spec though.

But yeah, I agree with @Dedayog, your problem is more "between the keyboard & chair".
While it's fine if that really what floats your boat. It becomes troubling when you use the same standard for other people. Even more so when you start saying things that is only true when that particular standard is used as a basepoint.

That's why a self-respecting reviewer usually say "16 gb of ram is enough for most things" instead of "You gotta get 128gb ram, it's so that you can keep everything open all the time, and when you open enough things 128gb isn't cutting it, get more"

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

39 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

186 tabs...  I have to say, even with my internet that only gives me like 300kb/s download speed at most, I never keep that many tabs open.
Chrome + Edge + Firefox at the same time?  err... why ?
Second user profile ? why and what for ? If somebody else in your home sometimes uses your PC just log them out after they're done?

if the logic is "I want to keep everything open all the time" then sooner or later even 128gb won't be enough.

10-15 what? minutes? seconds?  Doesn't make any sense with your spec though.

But yeah, I agree with @Dedayog, your problem is more "between the keyboard & chair".
While it's fine if that really what floats your boat. It becomes troubling when you use the same standard for other people. Even more so when you start saying things that is only true when that particular standard is used as a basepoint.

That's why a self-respecting reviewer usually say "16 gb of ram is enough for most things" instead of "You gotta get 128gb ram, it's so that you can keep everything open all the time, and when you open enough things 128gb isn't cutting it, get more"

Multiple people in the house use the same computer.  Most of the stuff open isn't mine I have to get it back to the state it was in before I started.  For browsers I've got that pretty down by setting it to open where it left off.  Just that I have to be careful that additional windows are not open because that messes everything up...   I've found switching to a 2nd user for myself helps reduce messing things up for everyone else (or having difficulty finding things with so much open!).

Still 16GB is at the line where you practically have to have EVERYTHING closed for a lot of modern games.  I still believe most hardcore users need at least 32GB.

Just now, ewitte said:

Yes, most of the stuff open isn't mine I have to get it back to the state it was in before I started.  For browsers I've got that pretty down by setting it to open where it left off.  Just that I have to be careful that additional windows are not open because that messes everything up...

Still 16GB is at the line where you practically have to have EVERYTHING closed for a lot of modern games.

Look man, I'm not here to tell you you should change your ways or whatever. If that's what you like, so be it. Your money, your life, your preference.

But if you are saying 16gb filled up fast, that even 32gb isn't enough. While in actuality it is based on your personal standard of use (all those tabs, and that many softwares open). That can become misleading information. Like it or not, normal user close the program they finished using. Even when I had to open photoshop and illustrator everyday back then, I still closed it after each use, and that was with HDD.

This is Elden Ring at high settings with 12 tabs of youtube open in firefox, along with some peripherals services (steelseries, icue, gskill, whatever)
Not even reaching 16gb ram. I'd show plague tale requirem as well if I haven't uninstalled it, but yeah, I'm sure it didn't reach 16gb.

Elden.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Look man, I'm not here to tell you you should change your ways or whatever. If that's what you like, so be it. Your money, your life, your preference.

But if you are saying 16gb filled up fast, that even 32gb isn't enough. While in actuality it is based on your personal standard of use (all those tabs, and that many softwares open). That can become misleading information. Like it or not, normal user close the program they finished using. Even when I had to open photoshop and illustrator everyday back then, I still closed it after each use, and that was with HDD.

This is Elden Ring at high settings with 12 tabs of youtube open in firefox, along with some peripherals services (steelseries, icue, gskill, whatever)
Not even reaching 16gb ram. I'd show plague tale requirem as well if I haven't uninstalled it, but yeah, I'm sure it didn't reach 16gb.

32GB is going to be fine for most people even before I upgraded, I only had issues once or twice a month.

I didn't say EVERY game is going to want more than 16GB.  To be clear its more than just usage such as microstutters from having to pull from the drive, etc.