High Gpu usage while downloading from battle.net

TLucas

Hi guys, I would like to ask a question to the techs in this group. 
I worked in the pc industry ten years but  I am now a welder. I’m not up to date with all the new shiny stuff. 

Is is normal to have nearly 100% Gpu usage (3080ti) when downloading with battle.net client. And the cpu stays at 4% usage.
Shouldn’t it be using the cpu for compiling or decompressing? 

Could anyone can give me some info and knowledge please and thank you.

All the pc and power options are set for max performance.

Edited by TLucas

Don't know if it helps, but don't forget to go into settings and remove the check mark next to the limit download speed.  Last night while trying to download the current update I had forgot to remove the limit and my download was only 50kb a second give or take.  Removing that check mark and allowing the download speed to max out my download speed only took a minute or two to complete versus another hour or two when stuck with the limited download.

Don't know if that will help your problem with the gpu, but it will sure help with the download speed.

Just now, kb5zue said:

Don't know if it helps, but don't forget to go into settings and remove the check mark next to the limit download speed.  Last night while trying to download the current update I had forgot to remove the limit and my download was only 50kb a second give or take.  Removing that check mark and allowing the download speed to max out my download speed only took a minute or two to complete versus another hour or two when stuck with the limited download.

Don't know if that will help your problem with the gpu, but it will sure help with the download speed.

Yeah no, I’ve never set a download limit. The download isn’t too too bad, around 12-15 MB/s. 
thanks for the input though

There is a bug in the latest nvidia drivers that when you have GPU Hardware Scheduling enabled (Within Windows itself, the Graphics Settings Menu within Win10/11) then the Nvidia GPU could have high GPU usage when idle or doing rudimentary tasks.

I just had this happen on my 2080Ti, disabling the tickbox for GPU HW-S and a reboot stopped it.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) service may report higher GPU usage on some RTX 30-
series configurations [3830387] (Nvidia Release Notes) also RTX 2000 series as I was affected.

Isolated to HW-S I don't know if you even use it, just came to mind as I just went through this.

The last few Nvidia drivers have been weird for a lot of people,, but I won't say this is your problems trigger, it could be something else.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

There is a bug in the latest nvidia drivers that when you have GPU Hardware Scheduling enabled (Within Windows itself, the Graphics Settings Menu within Win10/11) then the Nvidia GPU could have high GPU usage when idle or doing rudimentary tasks.

I just had this happen on my 2080Ti, disabling the tickbox for GPU HW-S and a reboot stopped it.

Isolated to HW-S I don't know if you even use it, just came to mind as I just went through this.

The last few Nvidia drivers have been weird for a lot of people,, but I won't say this is your problems trigger, it could be something else.

Thanks. I’ll check these settings