Planning upgrade to current gen platform + DDR5

Hello again

I've been planning an upgrade, and now I want to begin considering options.

What would be the best long-term upgrade right now? Judging by how AMD works, AM5 would be better option because down the line I'd like to keep old mobo and buy a newer CPU 2-3 years later.

Budget for CPU/Mobo/32 gigs DDR5 - 1000 euros

My only concern is price of current AM5 mobos. Any decent AM5 motherboard is around 350-400 euros. Is this how it is nowadays or are there are cheaper AM5 board coming in the future?

I'm a little hesitant going for Intel because previous gens didn't have any future upgrade paths.

Anyway, what are your suggestions?

Main use case is gaming. I don't think getting something over 7600x or 13600k isn't really worth it right now, and besides, I'm playing in 4k, not 1080p 360Hz 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I got a "used" 7900X for 500euros a new MSI Pro B650-P Wifi mobo for 230euros and second hand new DDR5 Corsair Vengance 5600Mhz CL36 32GB for 75Euros.

So in total 805Euros, this should actually be moved here:

(the same category where this thread is)

Intel NUC 13 | i3 1315U2x 8GB 3600/CL16

AMD 7950x3d | Sapphire 7800XT Nitro | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 5600Mhz CL36 1R | MSI B650-P Pro Wifi | Custom Loop

AUNE X8 Magic DAC + SS3602

AUNE X7s PRO Class-A | Sennheiser HD58X

Schiit Rekkr ELAC BS243.3

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

What would be the best long-term upgrade right now? Judging by how AMD works, AM5 would be better option because down the line I'd like to keep old mobo and buy a newer CPU 2-3 years later.

An AM5 board will get at least 1 more generation, probably 2, but then again the price of AM5 is so high that you could afford to buy a new, current gen motherboard in 2-3 years by going for an Intel chip instead. 

10 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Is this how it is nowadays or are there are cheaper AM5 board coming in the future?

They've come down a bit, a decent B650 board is ~$250 depending on the features you need, but they're still a lot more expensive than Z690/Z790 boards (a decent Z690 board with BIOS flashback can be had for as low as $150, though the ones that come with DDR5 are about $200). 

Intel would be my pick, since the 13600K is faster and cheaper, and as said above the money you save on the 13600K can be used to put towards a motherboard for a future upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

An AM5 board will get at least 1 more generation, probably 2, but then again the price of AM5 is so high that you could afford to buy a new, current gen motherboard in 2-3 years by going for an Intel chip instead. 

They've come down a bit, a decent B650 board is ~$250 depending on the features you need, but they're still a lot more expensive than Z690/Z790 boards (a decent Z690 board with BIOS flashback can be had for as low as $150, though the ones that come with DDR5 are about $200). 

Intel would be my pick, since the 13600K is faster and cheaper, and as said above the money you save on the 13600K can be used to put towards a motherboard for a future upgrade. 

So a decent Z690/Z790 board with 13600k would be a better option? Are there any concrete news on its longevity? 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

So a decent Z690/Z790 board with 13600k would be a better option? Are there any concrete news on its longevity? 

IIRC it's been confirmed that 13th gen will be the last CPU on LGA 1700, with socket 1800 planned to come out with 14th gen, but don't quote me on specifics. 

Still, it's cheaper enough that you can put the money you saved towards getting the next motherboard. It'll be more work to upgrade, yes, but since the 13600K is faster (slightly faster single core, much faster multicore thanks to the E cores) it'll probably be a little bit longer before you'd want to upgrade anyway.