Desktop Icons Frequently Change To Small Size When Windows Starts

nick name

After switching to my 3080 I have found that my desktop icons are frequently the wrong size (too small) on Windows start.  The HWiNFO window is oddly sized and oddly scaled as well. 

I fix it by logging out and back in, but it's starting to annoy.  

Anyone have any ideas?  I've already tried DDU and several iterations of Nvidia drivers, but without luck.  Also, no settings are changed when this happens.

Thanks guys.  

PS

My display is a Samsung Q80T.  The resolution is set to 4k 120Hz under the PC section and not the Ultra HD, HD, SD section.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Sounds like a thing in your startup app settings.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:55 PM, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like a thing in your startup app settings.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.  I have updated HWiNFO (it was the only open window on start up) and so far so good.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

@Bombastinator Welp it didn't fix it.  Back to the drawing board.  I think it might be re-starts after I've used the PC for gaming.  I'll test that theory soon.  

13 hours ago, nick name said:

@Bombastinator Welp it didn't fix it.  Back to the drawing board.  I think it might be re-starts after I've used the PC for gaming.  I'll test that theory soon.  

No joy in winRE? What about startup apps?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 11:18 PM, Bombastinator said:

No joy in winRE? What about startup apps?

What is winRE?  And HWiNFO is the only thing that runs at startup.  

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

What is winRE?  And HWiNFO is the only thing that runs at startup.  

WinRE is Windows recovery environment.  It’s for fixing startup stuff.  It’s in advanced boot which means it’s an exceptional pain to get to.  You’ve got to reboot twice in particular ways. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

WinRE is Windows recovery environment.  It’s for fixing startup stuff.  It’s in advanced boot which means it’s an exceptional pain to get to.  You’ve got to reboot twice in particular ways. 

Ahhh.  What should I do in that environment?  

2 hours ago, nick name said:

Ahhh.  What should I do in that environment?  

Probably best to read about it and see what it can do. It’s got different apps and options than regular CMD, but it uses the same interface and a lot of the same commands.  On the whole it is smaller though.  One that is immediately obvious is chkdsk.